January 4, 200917 yr So have I, over the course of 20-plus years, and I suspect I've watched a heck of a lot more high-level OVC basketball than you have. If any high school team in Kentucky had three potential "superstars in the OVC," they would probably roll to the state title. You are essentially saying that Ellt iott has three high-level Division I players. I've seen Elliott play and I don't see it, although they are a legitimate top-10 team in the state. Scott Co and Covington Holmes have 3 players that would be superstars in the OVC and They will not roll to a State Title.
January 4, 200917 yr So have I, over the course of 20-plus years, and I suspect I've watched a heck of a lot more high-level OVC basketball than you have. If any high school team in Kentucky had three potential "superstars in the OVC," they would probably roll to the state title. You are essentially saying that Elliott has three high-level Division I players. I've seen Elliott play and I don't see it, although they are a legitimate top-10 team in the state. Saying that they would be stars in the OVC is definately not saying they are high level D1. I agree with LDG in that OVC is not high level. I also have watched close to 40 years of OVC and every other level, have coached and reffed on the high school level, and IMO Ferguson and the Faulkners could play and play well in the OVC.
January 4, 200917 yr I've been thinking about this and to say that they 3 kids can't compete at a very high level in the OVC is way off base. (IMO of course)
January 4, 200917 yr It is hard to believe the point is being argued with someone who admits he has never even seen them play!
January 4, 200917 yr All 3 are OVC material, I just don't think they fit into Tyndalls style of play. I think all 3 would do very well at Morehead, Western, Eastern, Murray and the like. I think Ethan could honestly be a player at Marshall or the like he is a very skilled and smart point guard. I feel that Ferguson could play alot of places, if he decided to go SEC, I think he could end up being a specialist like Cameron Mills, coming in to lit up the 3. I a smaller conference would give him a better shot at more and earlier playing time. I think Evan is right at the type of school he should be. He will be a really nice player for Radford. They are all good enough to play in the OVC, I don't know if all 3 would be stars, and Tyndall knows they could play there I would say. In recruiting its about fitting you style of play and not just taking who ever you can get. I think Tyndall's doing a find job, and EC's Big 3 will all make very good college basketball players.
January 4, 200917 yr I think some local people underestimate what it takes to be a good player in the OVC.Without a doubt ...
January 4, 200917 yr Saying that they would be stars in the OVC is definately not saying they are high level D1.The comment was that the Elliott trio would be "superstars" at the OVC level. If they're indeed that good, they should have been recruited by a flock of high-level Division I schools. I agree with LDG in that OVC is not high level.No one said it was ... I also have watched close to 40 years of OVC and every other level, have coached and reffed on the high school level, and IMO Ferguson and the Faulkners could play and play well in the OVC."Playing well" in the OVC doesn't equate to superstardom. In the 20-plus years I've been watching the OVC, I can think of four or five guys I could call "superstars" in that league ... Jeff Martin and Popeye Jones at Murray State, Carlos Rogers at Tennessee State and Luther Hudson currently at Tennessee-Martin. Maybe Bubba Wells at Austin Peay. The first three all spent some time in the NBA and most everyone agrees that Hudson would be playing at a higher level if his academics had been in better order at the junior college level. Those guys were "high-level Division I players" ... I don't know that any of the Elliott guys project to that level. Could they play in the OVC? Perhaps so, but apparently none of the OVC schools thought so.
January 4, 200917 yr IMO( and mine is as right to me as everyone else's is to them) Landon Slone would be a star in the OVC.Did anyone in the OVC offer him a scholarship?
January 4, 200917 yr The comment was that the Elliott trio would be "superstars" at the OVC level. If they're indeed that good, they should have been recruited by a flock of high-level Division I schools. No one said it was ... "Playing well" in the OVC doesn't equate to superstardom. In the 20-plus years I've been watching the OVC, I can think of four or five guys I could call "superstars" in that league ... Jeff Martin and Popeye Jones at Murray State, Carlos Rogers at Tennessee State and Luther Hudson currently at Tennessee-Martin. Maybe Bubba Wells at Austin Peay. The first three all spent some time in the NBA and most everyone agrees that Hudson would be playing at a higher level if his academics had been in better order at the junior college level. Those guys were "high-level Division I players" ... I don't know that any of the Elliott guys project to that level. Could they play in the OVC? Perhaps so, but apparently none of the OVC schools thought so. Not quite true my friend. Stay tuned.
January 4, 200917 yr The comment was that the Elliott trio would be "superstars" at the OVC level. If they're indeed that good, they should have been recruited by a flock of high-level Division I schools. No one said it was ... "Playing well" in the OVC doesn't equate to superstardom. In the 20-plus years I've been watching the OVC, I can think of four or five guys I could call "superstars" in that league ... Jeff Martin and Popeye Jones at Murray State, Carlos Rogers at Tennessee State and Luther Hudson currently at Tennessee-Martin. Maybe Bubba Wells at Austin Peay. The first three all spent some time in the NBA and most everyone agrees that Hudson would be playing at a higher level if his academics had been in better order at the junior college level. Those guys were "high-level Division I players" ... I don't know that any of the Elliott guys project to that level. Could they play in the OVC? Perhaps so, but apparently none of the OVC schools thought so. You need to go back and read some. Wireman stated that he was stretching it by saying "superstars" but meant that they could play well. Are you just looking to argue or what!!!!!!!!!!
January 4, 200917 yr All 3 are OVC material, I just don't think they fit into Tyndalls style of play. I think all 3 would do very well at Morehead, Western, Eastern, Murray and the like. I think Ethan could honestly be a player at Marshall or the like he is a very skilled and smart point guard. I feel that Ferguson could play alot of places, if he decided to go SEC, I think he could end up being a specialist like Cameron Mills, coming in to lit up the 3. I a smaller conference would give him a better shot at more and earlier playing time. I think Evan is right at the type of school he should be. He will be a really nice player for Radford. They are all good enough to play in the OVC, I don't know if all 3 would be stars, and Tyndall knows they could play there I would say. In recruiting its about fitting you style of play and not just taking who ever you can get. I think Tyndall's doing a find job, and EC's Big 3 will all make very good college basketball players. I can agree with your theory, but I would like to know how John Lamb fits his style of play but Ferguson does not?
January 4, 200917 yr Not quite true my friend. Stay tuned.I wasn't referring to Ferguson, although I didn't make it clear. I'll stand by that comment on the Faulkners, since no one has stepped up with a list of schools that made them offers.
January 4, 200917 yr You need to go back and read some. Wireman stated that he was stretching it by saying "superstars" but meant that they could play well. Are you just looking to argue or what!!!!!!!!!!Even so, it appears that two of three didn't get an offer from anyone in the OVC. Is that correct?
January 4, 200917 yr Even so, it appears that two of three didn't get an offer from anyone in the OVC. Is that correct? You would have to talk to one of their parents to get 100% info but I am pretty sure both of them got ovc offers but they chose to go where they will be starters right off the bat!!!!!!!!!!
January 4, 200917 yr It is a very low percentile of college players are stars as freshman in any conference. To judge Landon right now is not really par. He is playing great for UK right now and I would guess that by his junior year playing against sec comp, he could star in the ovc. Just my opinion, and just like elbows, just about everyone has one or two!!!!!!!!!!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.