C-J All-State Team - Merry Christmas

diamondog

The Courier-Journal All-State team was announced in today's Christmas Day edition. Congrats to all players who made the team, voted on by 140 coaches statewide. Merry Christmas to all on BGP!

CJ All-State Offensive Team:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081225/SPORTS05/812250525/1002/SPORTS

CJ All-State Defensive Team:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081225/SPORTS05/812250540/1002/SPORTS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to all the Players. The most accurate list I've seen all year.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. All-State is too political, and appears that many times its one coach scratching another coaches back. Some young men never make all-state, but play college football and some of those who do make it will not and can not play a down at the next level.

Congratulations to those who did make it.

Good, though not surprising, to see Jordan Whiting on the first team defensive unit. Defensive players never get the recognition that they deserve but it still should be mentioned that Whiting is considered by most recruiters and scouts to be the top college prospect in the Kentucky High School Class of 2009.

I tip my green shamrock hat to Whiting and to Tim Phillips.

I want to know why only 140 coaches out of over 200 high school head football coaches voted? Am I right in thinking that over one-third of the head school head football coaches do not even take the opportunity to vote?

Shame on the coaches who did not vote for the All-state team!

Does anyone know why a head football coach in the state of Kentucky would not cast a vote for the All-state team? Are there any valid excuses as to why they wouldn't vote? Is it public record from the Courier Journal as to what coaches did not vote?

Congratulations to all the Players. The most accurate list I've seen all year.

I agree. Some complain about the fact that coaches vote for this list, but who really knows the game better? As for the AP list, if you are from a school that is in a town that doesn't have a daily newspaper, then you will never get a consideration. With the CJ list, every head coach in the state gets the opportunity to vote (though I do not understand why some choose not to) - therefore all kids get a shot at making the list. A great example is Ed Berry of Eminence - glad to see that he got acknowledged in on the CJ team.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. All-State is too political, and appears that many times its one coach scratching another coaches back. Some young men never make all-state, but play college football and some of those who do make it will not and can not play a down at the next level.

:rolleyes: Whatever.

On another note, congrats to the Aumiller's and Lamar Dawson from Boyle County. :thumb:

How can you congratulate those that made it at the same time you tell them that some of them aren't worthy of the honor and couldn't play a down at the next level? :lol: One comment or the other would have been enough.

Good point on the college issue though. Many choose NOT to play at the college level for whatever reason. The All State lists are not "who has the most college potential" lists, but those that have performed the best at the HS level.