December 19, 200817 yr Those are accusations MJ. Until they are proven you can't say he used bad judgment. Accusations or not...the fact that it would even remotely be brought up and someone accused him of this means that he used some type of bad judgement. I understand innocent until proven guilty, but I also believe in people in general, that they just don't make things up. AK messed up.
December 19, 200817 yr Author He used to coach Cincinnati as I am sure you are aware and still is friends with many of the people he met while coaching here. He was hanging out with them and just happened to choose the Lodge Bar as the place to go. Why does anyone go anywhere? Cause they want to... And for those who say he should have used better judgment I have a question. When did he use bad judgment? By picking that cab? Should he have known that the cabbie was going to tell them he didn't have room? How did he us bad judgment? First off, he should not have been out at that time when his team had a game the next day. Good way to demand respect out of you kids when following curfue by staying out till 2 a.m. Second of all, couldn't he have picked somewhere else to hang out with friends. Something a little more low key than a bar scene? What would have been wrong with grabbing dinner at a restaraunt then heading back to the hotel bar to have a drink or two. Sounds like they were out partying. Doesn't sound like what a 41 year old divison 1 basketball coach should be doing on the eve of a big game. Guess thats just me though.
December 19, 200817 yr The owner/manager of the Lodge Bar said there was no problems with AK or his group. And could it be possible that the owner/manager says this so that there is no negative press about his bar. I am sure he wouldn't want people thinking he threw out Andy Kennedy, thinking maybe it could affect business. And...maybe AK and his group didn't have problems in the bar. That doesn't have anything to do with cab driver.
December 19, 200817 yr Accusations or not...the fact that it would even remotely be brought up and someone accused him of this means that he used some type of bad judgement. I understand innocent until proven guilty, but I also believe in people in general, that they just don't make things up. AK messed up. A lot of people make up a lot of things. Maybe this cabbie saw AK as a person in the public eye and thinks he can make some money. Who knows? I can accuse you of a lot of things. Does that mean you used bad judgment?
December 19, 200817 yr Author The owner/manager of the Lodge Bar said there was no problems with AK or his group. And a Cincy Police officer said he had to go into the bar and ask AK to leave. I'll believe the cop over a Lodge bar manager any day. They aren't looking to invite any negative scrutiny.
December 19, 200817 yr A lot of people make up a lot of things. Maybe this cabbie saw AK as a person in the public eye and thinks he can make some money. Who knows? I can accuse you of a lot of things. Does that mean you used bad judgment? I wouldn't be suprised if the cab driver had no idea who Andy Kennedy was when he walked up to him. If he walked up to me on the street I wouldn't know...and I follow sports. And I agree with Nobiz...would definitely take the word over a police officer than a manager/owner who is trying to protect the image of his bar.
December 19, 200817 yr First off, he should not have been out at that time when his team had a game the next day. Good way to demand respect out of you kids when following curfue by staying out till 2 a.m. Second of all, couldn't he have picked somewhere else to hang out with friends. Something a little more low key than a bar scene? What would have been wrong with grabbing dinner at a restaraunt then heading back to the hotel bar to have a drink or two. Sounds like they were out partying. Doesn't sound like what a 41 year old divison 1 basketball coach should be doing on the eve of a big game. Guess thats just me though. He is a coach. I know many players (college and pro) in different sports that go out drinking until much later than 2 am the night before a game. I've known Edison Volquez to frequent Newport bars the nights before he started. I can't tell you why they picked a bar scene but just cause they are in div 1 basketball doesn't mean they can't go into public.
December 19, 200817 yr According to the source, the coaching staff had a team meeting, finished film and then went out for dinner and drinks Wednesday night in Cincinnati, where Kennedy used to coach. The party was a mixture of Ole Miss coaches, officials and some of Kennedy's friends from Cincinnati, and when it was time to go, the five coaches -- Kennedy and assistants Michael White, Owen Miller, Torrey Ward and Bill Armstrong -- jumped in a cab to take them back to the Marriott across the river in Kentucky. Kennedy was in the front seat. The four assistants were in the back. According to the source, after driving "maybe a tenth of a mile" the cab driver realized there were five people in the car, and he told the coaches that he could not take five passengers. So he stopped, at which point Kennedy and his assistants jumped in another cab, one with a driver willing to take five passengers. At that point, the source said, the first cab driver pulled up beside the second cab driver and started yelling at the second driver "in a foreign language," and then the second cab driver turned to the coaches and asked if they owed the first cab driver money. The coaches said they did not owe anybody anything because the first driver refused to transport them. Then, according to the source, assistant Torrey Ward, who is black, told the driver to stop talking to the other driver and to get them back to their hotel. http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/12376746
December 19, 200817 yr AK will be exonerated and most everything you all are seeing in the papers right now is completely garbage, none of them have a clue as to what actually went down. As for those that want to bash Mississippi as a state, I suggest visiting it's a very lovely place and it isn't the Mississippi of the past it's a much more open and accepting place than some people will ever give it credit for because it makes them feel better if they can convince others nothing has changed. Incorrect. What do I have in the game to denigrade Mississippi? There's no agenda. Its also not a case of assuming what its like without ever being there. As I told you in the PM, I've had business dealings with people in MS. When you say jokes about blacks in the business' restroom that tells you a lot . When they tell you they would never let their children go to school with blacks, that also tells you a slot. I'm not making this up. Its a generalization. By definition, it doesn't mean everyone is that way, correct? As I also told you in the PM this is not exclusive to MS. I've experienced it in Alabama and it exists in my home state of KY. I'd say , though, that MS is the leader.
December 19, 200817 yr As I also told you in the PM this is not exclusive to MS. I've experienced it in Alabama and it exists in my home state of KY. I'd say , though, that MS is the leader. It is unfortunate...but in every state I am sure, except maybe Alaska or something.
December 19, 200817 yr Author Sounds like there are about 4-5 different stories. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
December 19, 200817 yr Where did someone read a police officer asked Armstrong to leave the bar? I haven't seen it anywhere.
December 19, 200817 yr Being a man that takes many cabs downtown, there are a ton of shady cab drivers working down there. It wouldnt suprise me if the cab drivers story was exaggerated or even a lie.
December 19, 200817 yr Where did someone read a police officer asked Armstrong to leave the bar? I haven't seen it anywhere. I read in the paper that in the police report it stated that one of the assistants was kicked out of the lodge. Not sure if a cop was actually there or not.
December 19, 200817 yr Why would a 20 something aged valet driver go on the air (channel 5) and state 3 different times that it was in fact Andy Kennedy. Im sure it happened right in front of the Aronoff where this guy was parking cars. That is about a tenth of a mile from the LODGE BAR.That guy is probably a sports fan and knows what he saw and who was involved. Lets face it, the guy made bad judgement and didnt think his racial slurs would land him on the news. He may not have punched the guy but the cabbie can say anything he wants just like you or I can. As for someone's question as to why did they go to the LODGE BAR. LOL Why does any guy go to a bar like that? Think about it for a minute. Chasing tail and getting liquored up. Moving on.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.