December 16, 200817 yr Very well could and I think that 2, whomever the combination are, will be shopped for interest. I can see them keeping Youk, over Lowell at $3mil.That is exactly why Youkilis would bring more in a trade than Lowell. Youkilis will make much more than #3M next year ... he's eligible for arbitration. Plus, Lowell has a no-trade clause.
December 16, 200817 yr Boston is becoming what they hate the most...... Boston IS what they hate the most! I agree!
December 16, 200817 yr These salaries being offered and given, are unbelievable. Not sure fans can keep paying for the tickets, merchandise and funding the new stadiums, via taxpayer money. He's good, but not worth $200 mil. The Red Sox are not raising ticket prices this season, and Fenway isn't exactly new. John Henry has went on record that, although he does turn a profit on the Sox he is more concerned about winning and puts almost all of the revenue back into the team and stadium.
December 16, 200817 yr Very well could and I think that 2, whomever the combination are, will be shopped for interest. I can see them keeping Youk, over Lowell at $3mil. They've already gotten rid of Coco Crisp and his $5.75 Million for 2009, Curt Schilling's $8 Million is also off the books, that's $13.75 Million right there. Ortiz is not going anywhere. First if his wrist is healthy he's a relative bargin at his pricetag for his normal production. He's still only 32 and there's no reason to think his numbers won't rebound. Secondly and most importantly he is the most popular player on the Red Sox. I know they have been willing to part with other popular players that won't be the case with Lowell. I do think some more trades will be made but they will almost certainly be Mike Lowell and his $12 Million and Julio Lugo and his $9 Million. They would almost certainly have to pay a lot of those 2 contracts but if they save even $5-6 Million by dealing them then that would free up around $18-19 Million from last season when added to the savings from Crisp and Schilling.
December 16, 200817 yr That is exactly why Youkilis would bring more in a trade than Lowell. Youkilis will make much more than #3M next year ... he's eligible for arbitration. Plus, Lowell has a no-trade clause. Lowell does not have no-trade protection. Cot's contracts has it listed that he does but it is in error. The current Red Sox management does not give out no-trade protection to anyone.
December 16, 200817 yr Lowell does not have no-trade protection. Cot's contracts has it listed that he does but it is in error.I've read conflicting reports on the issue. Even if Lowell doesn't have a no-trade clause, I suspect the Red Sox will have to eat some of his contract to deal him elsewhere. There can't be that great a market for him right now, considering that he will soon be 35 and coming off a hip injury.
December 16, 200817 yr I've read conflicting reports on the issue. Even if Lowell doesn't have a no-trade clause, I suspect the Red Sox will have to eat some of his contract to deal him elsewhere. There can't be that great a market for him right now, considering that he will soon be 35 and coming off a hip injury. He does not have a no-trade clause. They would definately have to eat some of his contract. His surgery was successful and the hip was in better shape then expected when they got in there. He was effective last season before the injury so there's no reason to expect that he can't regain that form. He is 35 but the team that trades for him will only be on the hook for 2 years and with the Sox playing part of his salary he would be an attractive option for teams needing a thirdbaseman. The Giants, Angels and Tigers are 3 that come to mind that could afford his contract--also their has been some talk of a trade to the Rangers for Saltalamacchia but I think the Laird deal makes that one less likely.
December 16, 200817 yr Manny is one of the best to ever play the game. Texiera and Bay are not.While I agree with you, lets play a little game called, "First 5 years." Giving Manny 2 partial years I'll even give you his 1st FULL 5 years, let's see the actual numbers. Keep in mind also, Texiera is a much better defender as well ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........517.....179....617 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Ok, but we're talking about now, not then, I get it, let's take MAnny's last 5 years and compare: ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........485.....217....585 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Now, still think Texeira doesn't deserve it as much as Manny? Texeira is one of the Top 5 in the game today......no question about it. That's not even factoring in the fact that's he's 28 and Manny is 36.
December 16, 200817 yr Manny is one of the best to ever play the game. Texiera and Bay are not. How could you even say that? Yes, Manny is one of the best, but how can you make that assumption about Tex and Bay? Tex, just in his first 5 years, has put up a 162-game average of .290, 36 HR, 121 RBI. Bay, in his first 5 years, has put up a 162-game average of .282, 31 HR, 103 RBI. Both of these players are exceptional in the game today, how can you compare a five-year career to one that has lasted for 16 seasons?
December 16, 200817 yr While I agree with you, lets play a little game called, "First 5 years." Giving Manny 2 partial years I'll even give you his 1st FULL 5 years, let's see the actual numbers. Keep in mind also, Texiera is a much better defender as well ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........517.....179....617 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Ok, but we're talking about now, not then, I get it, let's take MAnny's last 5 years and compare: ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........485.....217....585 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Now, still think Texeira doesn't deserve it as much as Manny? Texeira is one of the Top 5 in the game today......no question about it. That's not even factoring in the fact that's he's 28 and Manny is 36. Numbers don't lie in Baseball. I'd take Tex over ManRam in a heartbeat
December 16, 200817 yr While I agree with you, lets play a little game called, "First 5 years." Giving Manny 2 partial years I'll even give you his 1st FULL 5 years, let's see the actual numbers. Keep in mind also, Texiera is a much better defender as well ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........517.....179....617 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Ok, but we're talking about now, not then, I get it, let's take MAnny's last 5 years and compare: ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........485.....217....585 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Now, still think Texeira doesn't deserve it as much as Manny? Texeira is one of the Top 5 in the game today......no question about it. That's not even factoring in the fact that's he's 28 and Manny is 36. :thumb: Nice work
December 16, 200817 yr While I agree with you, lets play a little game called, "First 5 years." Giving Manny 2 partial years I'll even give you his 1st FULL 5 years, let's see the actual numbers. Keep in mind also, Texiera is a much better defender as well ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........517.....179....617 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Ok, but we're talking about now, not then, I get it, let's take MAnny's last 5 years and compare: ................Runs.....HR.....RBI Manny........485.....217....585 Texiera.......566.....206....676 Now, still think Texeira doesn't deserve it as much as Manny? Texeira is one of the Top 5 in the game today......no question about it. That's not even factoring in the fact that's he's 28 and Manny is 36. Game, Set, and Match.... Add in Defense and how a person is in the club house and its not even close at all.
December 16, 200817 yr Numbers don't lie in Baseball. I'd take Tex over ManRam in a heartbeatNot when you're speaking of contemporaries, they do not lie, you are absolutely correct. :thumb: Nice work:thumb: Game, Set, and Match.... Add in Defense and how a person is in the club house and its not even close at all. Absolutely!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.