December 8, 200817 yr I think that this year is a pivotal year for UK basketball in determining how quickly the program can return to prominence. If this team is able to improve at the rate BCG thinks and win two games in the tourney the mentality of everything changes and next year becomes a 25+ win year. If not the program's return will be choked by negativity and doubt. Is this a lofty goal? Certainly, but I think that it is not unrealistic.
December 8, 200817 yr I think that this year is a pivotal year for UK basketball in determining how quickly the program can return to prominence. If this team is able to improve at the rate BCG thinks and win two games in the tourney the mentality of everything changes and next year becomes a 25+ win year. If not the program's return will be choked by negativity and doubt. Is this a lofty goal? Certainly, but I think that it is not unrealistic. We are already headed down the negativity and doubt path. I personally think that UK can win 25 games this season, but I try to keep that opinion to myself as I don't really feel like being hammered with ridicule and being told that I'm embarressing to UK fans. So, I'll sit back and watch the progress and be happy with the direction of the program. Go Cats!
December 8, 200817 yr We may very well win 25 this season. If so I think that would be a major accomplishment. I think that two NCAA wins is the most important step to be taken this year. I for one, am not negative about this team. I think they will acomplish this goal.
December 8, 200817 yr Here are a few statements from BCG after yesterday's game: "This team is going to be really good. Six-and-three is not a good record for us right now but this team is improving at a fast rate." "We are inexperienced, but we are making giant improvements each time we play and that is what you have to do.”" Those are the same thoughts I have about this team, as well. I have never once said this team will not be tough come SEC play, or that they are not improving. Picking wins against Carolina and a blowout when against Miami is what I can not fathom. If knowing about college basketball includes being wrong after each U.K. game then I guess I know nothing compared to you!
December 8, 200817 yr I think the addition of Orton, Hood, and Pilgrim COULD lead to a massive improvement. Even if Patterson were to leave. Those guys would give UK the option of having a lineup on the floor where everyone is a threat. When was the last time that was the case? I'd love to this lineup in particular: Liggins Meeks Miller/Hood Patterson (Pilgrim if PP leaves) Orton I hope you are right. We have seen this year that even a very talented player like Liggins has had trouble adjusting to D-1 ball, and we haven't even played anyone good (besides UNC). I hope that Orton, Pilgrim, Hood, Vilarino can adjust, but I just don't see it happening. Just to get to the Sweet 16 (let alone Elite 8 or Final Four) we will have to play 1/2 games against a team like UNC that has incredible talent & tons of experience.
December 8, 200817 yr I hope you are right. We have seen this year that even a very talented player like Liggins has had trouble adjusting to D-1 ball, and we haven't even played anyone good (besides UNC). I hope that Orton, Pilgrim, Hood, Vilarino can adjust, but I just don't see it happening. Just to get to the Sweet 16 (let alone Elite 8 or Final Four) we will have to play 1/2 games against a team like UNC that has incredible talent & tons of experience. Miami was ranked.
December 8, 200817 yr ...Liggins has had trouble adjusting to D-1 ball... Looks like it took Liggins about 6 games to adjust. Not bad, IMO. First 6 games: 18.2min, 3.8pts, 2.3reb, 3.3ast, 3.5to, 45%FG, 33%FT, 38%3P Last 3 games: 25.7min, 14.7pts, 5.0reb, 4.7ast, 2.7to, 56%FG, 88%FT, 17%3P Obviously next year will depend on how well the freshman adapt, but Orton is one of the top recruits in the country, and Hood seemed to hold his own in the pickup games this summer. I'm not going to predict a final four (just saying that its POSSIBLE), but I'm going to be optimistic until I have a reason not to be.
December 8, 200817 yr The positive out of this game is that it was a Win. Other than that not much. This U.K. team is still very much a work in progress. I was very dissapointed in our defensive rebounding, spacing on offense, again the lack of going to and/or at times even looking at Patterson on the offensive end (he should touch the ball every time down the floor). Patterson should also imo work harder for the ball but the times I thought that he didn't was imo out of frustration from no getting the ball (still is not an excuse, jmo). Overall dissapointing game, this team cannot afford to "take a game off" due the weaker competition (and imo that is one thing that was happening last night) I am not trying to be negative, just pointing out what I saw and a couple of my opinons on last night. This U.K. fan is not going anywhere so................. Now lets get ready for the Hoosiers on Saturday!! Go Big Blue!!
December 8, 200817 yr I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this previously, but WOW, what a monster game by that Keightley guy. Unofficially I had him for 88 pts, 38 rbs, 17 ast, 7 stl, and 11 blk. Maybe Billy Clyde should have given him some playing time before tonight.
December 8, 200817 yr Parity makes it harder to continually land top recruits. Parity makes it harder to win 25 games and get a high NCAA seed and thus advance farther in the tournament. And as we have seen on here, number of wins doesn't matter to a program that is in the midst of it's longest Final Four drought in school history. What I have a hard time understanding is how people can watch this team and think they are a Final Four team next year. But if that makes you warm and fuzzy about the program, then go right ahead and call it. I'm just not seeing it. See, I think the exact opposite of what you are saying...How people can watch this team and not see the potential that is oozing from them blows my mind. And the freshman next year, ive seen 2 of them play, will absolutely contribute in a positive manner. I don't understand why you and others can't see it. It has nothing to do with the last time we have been to the final four. When was the last time George Mason was in the final four?? When was the last time UL was in the final four?? I don't know why you seem so blind to what seems so obvious to me.
December 8, 200817 yr See, I think the exact opposite of what you are saying...How people can watch this team and not see the potential that is oozing from them blows my mind. And the freshman next year, ive seen 2 of them play, will absolutely contribute in a positive manner. I don't understand why you and others can't see it. It has nothing to do with the last time we have been to the final four. When was the last time George Mason was in the final four?? When was the last time UL was in the final four?? I don't know why you seem so blind to what seems so obvious to me. Are you saying George Mason has the same basketball tradition as Kentucky? Are you really comparing the UK program as a whole to George Mason? If so, the problem is right in front of you and you can't see the forest for the trees. And Louisville was in the Final Four just a couple of years ago.
December 8, 200817 yr Just curious, but whats your reasoning behind this? Miami is well known by all to be the better team right now and it's been proven the last few seasons that Rupp Arena doesn't bring near the advantage it used to. Could UK have won? Of course, but it would have been an upset, but that's why they shouldn't have won the game.
December 8, 200817 yr Are you saying George Mason has the same basketball tradition as Kentucky? Are you really comparing the UK program as a whole to George Mason? If so, the problem is right in front of you and you can't see the forest for the trees. And Louisville was in the Final Four just a couple of years ago. I think what he's saying is that anything can happen in March. I'd be willing to bet most people didn't have UNC going to the final four in 2000, or for that matter Florida either.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.