Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why practice without pads???

Featured Replies

So I hear the team I support practiced without pads all week long. After talking to several Ashland fans this last week we really couldnt come up with a valid reason to why this is. I was wondering if I could get some different opinions frm the posters on here...

  • Replies 46
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the team already set in their playoff spot...if so then the coaching staff may have wanted to give the kids a break from practicing with an extra few pounds on them with the pads. I don't have any idea what type of team they have this year...but if they are pretty sound fundamentally in blocking and tackling then why not give their legs a break for a week before getting back at it the following week. That would be my guess...but then again I have been wrong on more than one occassion.

  • Author
Is the team already set in their playoff spot...if so then the coaching staff may have wanted to give the kids a break from practicing with an extra few pounds on them with the pads. I don't have any idea what type of team they have this year...but if they are pretty sound fundamentally in blocking and tackling then why not give their legs a break for a week before getting back at it the following week. That would be my guess...but then again I have been wrong on more than one occassion.

 

Valid point but our team can use alittle more practice tackling and tonights game is very important because it is the district championship and determines the seedings for the playoffs..

Unless their are glaring weaknesses at tackling or the need for blocking drills at this stage of the season, a team is not ready. By now, shoulder pads and helmits is pretty common, or a team will go no more than one day in full pads.

So I hear the team I support practiced without pads all week long. After talking to several Ashland fans this last week we really couldnt come up with a valid reason to why this is. I was wondering if I could get some different opinions frm the posters on here...

 

It's too late to learn how to play this late in the year! If you have to go full contact now you are in deep trouble.Your coach probably has some players that are pretty dinged up this late in the year and is smart enough to know you should already be at your peak as far as fundamentals. Walk thru's and film are better tools at this point.If you have players that are hurt does it make sense to beat on them all week?Does it make sense to wear your gear if you are not hitting?They are used to the gear,they know how to play.Let your coaches do the coaching and be a good fan.

You can do practically any drill in uppers that you can do with full gear except wide open scrimmage. As to being competent in the fundamentals so you dont have to do them anymore, you wont be competent long if you dont. In uppers, you still do your form tackling drills, interior line drills, sled and dummy work, pass skelly, play timing, defensive pursuit,etc. The team should understand that just because we arent in full gear doesnt mean it isnt a work day. If anything, we are going to work harder!

  • Author
It's too late to learn how to play this late in the year! If you have to go full contact now you are in deep trouble.Your coach probably has some players that are pretty dinged up this late in the year and is smart enough to know you should already be at your peak as far as fundamentals. Walk thru's and film are better tools at this point.If you have players that are hurt does it make sense to beat on them all week?Does it make sense to wear your gear if you are not hitting?They are used to the gear,they know how to play.Let your coaches do the coaching and be a good fan.

 

Well after Ashland got the brakes beat off of them tonight this is what happens. I let the coaches do the coaching and we got beat 41-6. Maybe we can practice again like we did last week and look forward to basketball season... Way to go Harte....

Happy ol dad, I know when I played football (we had a pretty good prgram at Fort Knox in the early mid 80's) it was common for us to not practice in pads every day. It would give our bodies a rest from the pounding and wear. But I can't speak for your coach, but looking at your record this season I am sure your coach knows what he was doing, but I could be wrong. Good luck rest the season.

[/b]

 

Well after Ashland got the brakes beat off of them tonight this is what happens. I let the coaches do the coaching and we got beat 41-6. Maybe we can practice again like we did last week and look forward to basketball season... Way to go Harte....

 

It wouldn't have mattered what Ashland practiced in, I bet the Ashland coaches knew they couldn't line up against Johnson Central. Ashland is much improved but nowhere near the level of Johnson Central.

Practicing in pads had no impact on how the team played. Sounds like JC was at a different level. Any JC fans know if they practiced in pads this week?

Practicing in pads had no impact on how the team played. Sounds like JC was at a different level. Any JC fans know if they practiced in pads this week?

 

Many weeks of the season JC practices in Helmets and Shoulder pads. Not practicing in pads had no reflection on this game. JC was just to strong and to fast for Ashland. They had no answer.

[/b]

 

Well after Ashland got the brakes beat off of them tonight this is what happens. I let the coaches do the coaching and we got beat 41-6. Maybe we can practice again like we did last week and look forward to basketball season... Way to go Harte....

 

Maybe if they practice in pads all the time they can beat Highlands or St. X!:rolleyes:

We wore pads all week at practice and got beat by Hazard 27-7.

Maybe Hazard wore pads, too?

It can work both ways. I have seen teams that practiced with out pads and won games because they had a chance to rest their bodies. I also have been around teams that wasn't mature enough to practice with out pads. Imo it has some affect, but it is very small.

[/b]

 

Well after Ashland got the brakes beat off of them tonight this is what happens. I let the coaches do the coaching and we got beat 41-6. Maybe we can practice again like we did last week and look forward to basketball season... Way to go Harte....

 

If you are a friend of Ashland. I wouldn't want you as my enemy. JC is not a good team. They are a "GREAT" team. I would say maybe STATE CHAMPS this year. Just try and be positive. Support your boys. Cause when there gone and turn into men they will remember things like that. Just a couple of weeks ago everyone thought he was Great. Wow unbelievable.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.