Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky Commit No Surprise

Featured Replies

Didn't Kansas also pay Orton's dad to speak at a camp?

 

Yes as did OK. State.

Didn't Kansas also pay Orton's dad to speak at a camp?

 

:thumb:

I think its funny how when UK does it its a much bigger deal, but when someone else does it, it goes unnoticed. Goodman doesn't like UK, its obvious by what he writes. With most journalist or what have you, UK fans are a little too sensitive and tend to not like a certain guy, but with Goodman its valid. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as its legal. UK is not the only school willing to do everything they can to get a recruit within legal boundaries.

This is stupid all the top three that where recruiting Orton paid his dad to speak at there camp.. Do i think they should be able to pay his dad .. NO.. but if you are going to make a story of it tell the whole story Goodman is a joke.. He will be on Matt Jone radio show tonight to talk about the article.

This is something that needs to be looked at a little closer. Bending the rules like this is unethical, maybe not "wrong", but unethical. I don't care who is doing it, I don't like it. You shouldn't have to use stuff like this to get ahead in the recruiting world.

This is something that needs to be looked at a little closer. Bending the rules like this is unethical, maybe not "wrong", but unethical. I don't care who is doing it, I don't like it. You shouldn't have to use stuff like this to get ahead in the recruiting world.

 

Well if post 19 is true then they had to use it to keep up with the rest of the field.

There is a problem in college basketball and it's much deeper than paying father's to speak at camps. There is no denying that it's shady, but it has become a part of college basketball - as sad as that is to say. And it will continue until college basketball players get paid.

 

Agreed.

 

The service provided by these athletes is worth far more than the compensation allowed by the NCAA.

 

These guys could be making millions per year, but instead they're working for rent, food, and some classes while the school makes the millions.

Well said...

 

It's not nearly as fun when you agree. :irked:

I think its funny how when UK does it its a much bigger deal, but when someone else does it, it goes unnoticed. Goodman doesn't like UK, its obvious by what he writes. With most journalist or what have you, UK fans are a little too sensitive and tend to not like a certain guy, but with Goodman its valid. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as its legal. UK is not the only school willing to do everything they can to get a recruit within legal boundaries.

 

Come on LMB. It's the nature of the beast. If Kentucky fans want to tout their program as one of the best ever, then they will get more criticism and rightfully so.

 

I've heard over & over again how Goodman doesn't like UK. Who cares? I'm assuming he was pretty accurate in this article, and he gets paid to write. Good for him. I wish that he would've delved a little deeper into the situation and brought up examples from other programs, but he probably had to meet a deadline and couldn't do the work in time.

 

What disappoints me the most is how common of a practice this is. It is legal; heck, it may even be necessary to compete. But if you don't think this goes against the intent of the rule, then you're badly mistaken.

 

There are some major issues in college basketball, and I think the NBA's age limit is going to make them even worse. I don't know how to fix it, but something needs to be done. And I'll leave it up to the NCAA to "fix" it.

Come on LMB. It's the nature of the beast. If Kentucky fans want to tout their program as one of the best ever, then they will get more criticism and rightfully so.

 

I've heard over & over again how Goodman doesn't like UK. Who cares? I'm assuming he was pretty accurate in this article, and he gets paid to write. Good for him. I wish that he would've delved a little deeper into the situation and brought up examples from other programs, but he probably had to meet a deadline and couldn't do the work in time.

 

What disappoints me the most is how common of a practice this is. It is legal; heck, it may even be necessary to compete. But if you don't think this goes against the intent of the rule, then you're badly mistaken.

 

There are some major issues in college basketball, and I think the NBA's age limit is going to make them even worse. I don't know how to fix it, but something needs to be done. And I'll leave it up to the NCAA to "fix" it.

 

The article was accurate as far as the content about what happened, but also left out a lot of information like with other coaches doing that too. I don't think its a big deal. Coaches can get whoever they want to speak at a camp or clinic.

No big deal if you ask me.

Goodman has a burr in his saddle.

UK came under fire for moving their Madness up a week. Who did they come under fire from, the NABC? That is laughable. Mike DeCoursey wrote a column about how laughable the NABC was regarding what UK did...even Illinois followed suit, I believe. UC even had a fan night didn't they Saturday?

If the rules allow for it and you can take advantage of it...why not?

The NABC was critical of taking verbals before a player's junior year.

 

Obviously, that hinted at anger over BCG taking an 8th grader, which I think is silly...why pigeon toe yourself with a kid that may never pan out.

It didn't take long for Billy Donovan to take a verbal from a freshman, Doc Rivers's son. Dick Vitale spoke out against the early verbals then praised Donovan...what the heck?

 

Just innovative not shady if you ask me.

How about when coaches have camps in the summer and the players work them. I have been to camps where coaches when showing campers drills, they run the players through the drills over and over...essentially it is a modified practice.

 

If the NCAA doesnt like it...close the loophole.

UConn used to use exhibition games against AAU teams...elped them get players on campus for visits, ala Rudy Gay...then the NCAA prohibited schools from playing AAU teams.

 

Then you have shoe deals....

As long as he keeps us out of probation iam all for it...

College basketball has a slimy underbelly the likes of which makes this type of thing the equivalent of peeing in the ocean.

Interesting article and definitely shady. Personally, I don't like it and it scares me a little; however, I think Gillispie is smart enough & strong willed enough to do the right thing.

 

It doesn't surprise me that they're calling out Billy G. & Kentucky. We've been a target since Billy G took the committment from the 8th grader, and it's going to continue as Kentucky continues to climb back to the top of college basketball.

 

I must say that I'm disappointed. Not so much with Kentucky and Billy G, but with college basketball as a whole. This type of stuff has been going on for a while and continues to go on. The article doesn't mention all of the other schools who do this, nor the other schools that hire AAU coaches & fathers to be basketball coaches or "head of basketball operations" or whatever bogus title they want to give. Kansas did it with Mario Chalmers' father. Kevin Durant's AAU coach made all kinds of money. LSU & John Brady are notorious for it. The list goes on & on & on.

 

There is a problem in college basketball and it's much deeper than paying father's to speak at camps. There is no denying that it's shady, but it has become a part of college basketball - as sad as that is to say. And it will continue until college basketball players get paid.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.