October 14, 200817 yr I have to admit I wasn’t surprised that Daniel Orton, one of the top big men in the country, committed to Kentucky over the weekend while in town for an early Midnight Madness. Not because Kansas took itself out of the equation when the Jayhawks took a pledge from forward Thomas Robinson. But because it certainly didn’t hurt that Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie paid Orton’s father, Larry, to speak at camps in Lexington on three separate occasions this past summer. Let’s be clear. This isn’t against the rules. It’s just Gillispie being Gillispie. Remember, he was basically the guy that came under fire for being one of four coaches to hold Midnight Madness a week before the “official” start of practice. Creative? Absolutely. On the verge of being unethical? It depends who you ask. http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/10/13/KENTUCKY_COMMIT_NO_SURPRISE
October 14, 200817 yr All of his points are valid. However, as Goodman stated, none of what was done was against any written rule. As far as the unethical part, that's laughable.
October 14, 200817 yr I am sorry. As a UK fan, this action, against the rules or not, ... scares me to death. I don't see how it could NOT be a violation of NCAA rules. If it isn't, then so be it. But this is on the fringe IMHO.
October 14, 200817 yr I don't have a problem with any of it because it was all within the rules. However, the rules need to be changed. In no scenario should someone who is involved in the recruitment process(coach,parent), get payed to speak at events. That's ridiculous and should never happen. The part about moving BBM up a week being unethical is just flat out funny to me.
October 14, 200817 yr Interesting article and definitely shady. Personally, I don't like it and it scares me a little; however, I think Gillispie is smart enough & strong willed enough to do the right thing. It doesn't surprise me that they're calling out Billy G. & Kentucky. We've been a target since Billy G took the committment from the 8th grader, and it's going to continue as Kentucky continues to climb back to the top of college basketball. I must say that I'm disappointed. Not so much with Kentucky and Billy G, but with college basketball as a whole. This type of stuff has been going on for a while and continues to go on. The article doesn't mention all of the other schools who do this, nor the other schools that hire AAU coaches & fathers to be basketball coaches or "head of basketball operations" or whatever bogus title they want to give. Kansas did it with Mario Chalmers' father. Kevin Durant's AAU coach made all kinds of money. LSU & John Brady are notorious for it. The list goes on & on & on. There is a problem in college basketball and it's much deeper than paying father's to speak at camps. There is no denying that it's shady, but it has become a part of college basketball - as sad as that is to say. And it will continue until college basketball players get paid.
October 14, 200817 yr Definitely not the type of thing I want to see made a normal practice. Very shady IMO.
October 14, 200817 yr Definitely not the type of thing I want to see made a normal practice. Very shady IMO. Although I agree, it seems to be legal per NCAA rules. The problem is much, much deeper IMO.
October 14, 200817 yr Author Interesting article and definitely shady. Personally, I don't like it and it scares me a little; however, I think Gillispie is smart enough & strong willed enough to do the right thing. It doesn't surprise me that they're calling out Billy G. & Kentucky. We've been a target since Billy G took the committment from the 8th grader, and it's going to continue as Kentucky continues to climb back to the top of college basketball. I must say that I'm disappointed. Not so much with Kentucky and Billy G, but with college basketball as a whole. This type of stuff has been going on for a while and continues to go on. The article doesn't mention all of the other schools who do this, nor the other schools that hire AAU coaches & fathers to be basketball coaches or "head of basketball operations" or whatever bogus title they want to give. Kansas did it with Mario Chalmers' father. Kevin Durant's AAU coach made all kinds of money. LSU & John Brady are notorious for it. The list goes on & on & on. There is a problem in college basketball and it's much deeper than paying father's to speak at camps. There is no denying that it's shady, but it has become a part of college basketball - as sad as that is to say. And it will continue until college basketball players get paid. Well said...
October 14, 200817 yr Thats how the game is played now. Im all for him pushing the envelope and doing what it takes to get the players he wants as long as its within the rules. Call it shady if you want but he's just doing what it takes to build a winning program. What does his dad do anyway? Is it something where people would want to here him speak?
October 14, 200817 yr Billy G has stated several times he will do whatever is allowed under the rules. The entire process needs to be cleaned up. Don't know what it will take, but I have stated several time that AAU programs have way to much power when it comes to recruiting.
October 14, 200817 yr Interesting article and definitely shady. Personally, I don't like it and it scares me a little; however, I think Gillispie is smart enough & strong willed enough to do the right thing. It doesn't surprise me that they're calling out Billy G. & Kentucky. We've been a target since Billy G took the committment from the 8th grader, and it's going to continue as Kentucky continues to climb back to the top of college basketball. I must say that I'm disappointed. Not so much with Kentucky and Billy G, but with college basketball as a whole. This type of stuff has been going on for a while and continues to go on. The article doesn't mention all of the other schools who do this, nor the other schools that hire AAU coaches & fathers to be basketball coaches or "head of basketball operations" or whatever bogus title they want to give. Kansas did it with Mario Chalmers' father. Kevin Durant's AAU coach made all kinds of money. LSU & John Brady are notorious for it. The list goes on & on & on. There is a problem in college basketball and it's much deeper than paying father's to speak at camps. There is no denying that it's shady, but it has become a part of college basketball - as sad as that is to say. And it will continue until college basketball players get paid. G is a smart man when it comes to recruiting...That's about all you can say. You both have really good points. I am not as disapointed with BG as I am with the entire scene. Unethical? Every coach participates in some capacity in unethical recruiting.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.