Saint Xavier #25 in USA Today Poll

Park1221

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut feeling is X can play with anyone this year unless it is a team with overwhelming talent and D1 speed at multiple positions. In other words, this is one of the best X teams I have ever seen.

...which is X

I enjoyed the post game thoughts from MaxPreps.com writer Mitch Stephens. He doesn't seem to think that X has the size/speed to be (mythical) national titlists.

Complete Post Game Story

10 Takes

1) Our first taste of Kentucky football was as savory as the local fried chicken: crisp play, great tackling, fantastic play-calling. Everyone involved between the two schools couldn’t have been more hospitable or genuine.

2) At least with these two specific teams, not enough blinding breakaway speed or big physical kids to be considered national championship quality. Conditioning, coaching, attitude and preparation is all national champion caliber.

3) For more than 38,000 high school fans, the crowd was remarkably well-behaved. We’re not saying folks were sitting on their hands. The opposite. The cheering sections were wild, zany and fun. This was a true slice of Americana at its very best. It’s what I’ll take back to California and remember most.

4) St. Xavier running back Deuce Finch is an absolute gamer. He limped noticeably with a right knee brace during walk through on Thursday, but ran with abandon on Friday. “Adrenalin,” he said with a wide smile after this one.

5) Considering how many passes Trinity quarterback Cameron Smyth completed (24) and how beautifully he spread them out (eight different receivers) and how many would-be tacklers he evaded, it’s hard to believe the Rocks scored only six points.

6) Trinity coach Bob Beatty told us on Thursday that the Rocks were missing a couple offensive linemen to injury. It was obvious – especially the loss of starting center Brett Kapfhammer – that their running game, or lack thereof (31 attempts, 68 yards) wasn’t 100 percent.

7) There were many memorable moments on the three-day trip, but witnessing the pep-rally rants of a cross-country kid (doing the most entertaining Knute Rockne speech we’ve ever seen) and football grunt John Taylor (who later blocked an extra point) were jewels only captured in high school sports. We feel fortunate to capture such a ripe and unbridled age. (See video of the rants next week).

8) If there’s a media favorite in town it must be another unapologetic, wear-his-emotion-on-his-sleeve sort in 6-8, 248-pound Trevor Foy, of St. Xavier. He says what he feels and judging from his words he feels a lot. I’m going to root for this guy.

9) Truly, as hokey as it sounds, it’s hard not to root for any of these kids. They were all polite and impassioned and hard working. Never noted a prima donna attitude or bad body language. Somehow I don’t think these no-nonsense staffs would put up with it.

10) NFL Films was on hand in Louisville to examine and report on one of, if not, the nation’s top football rivalries. Their documentary of the week is scheduled to air Nov. 8 at 1 p.m. on CBS. Considering the quality NFL Films has maintained for four decades to seeing how hard their guys worked to how much access they received, it’s a can’t miss segment. Don’t miss.

"7) There were many memorable moments on the three-day trip, but witnessing the pep-rally rants of a cross-country kid (doing the most entertaining Knute Rockne speech we’ve ever seen) and football grunt John Taylor (who later blocked an extra point) were jewels only captured in high school sports. We feel fortunate to capture such a ripe and unbridled age. (See video of the rants next week)."

Does anyone know what school did the Rockne speech? And what it the one Rudy does in the movie?

"7) There were many memorable moments on the three-day trip, but witnessing the pep-rally rants of a cross-country kid (doing the most entertaining Knute Rockne speech we’ve ever seen) and football grunt John Taylor (who later blocked an extra point) were jewels only captured in high school sports. We feel fortunate to capture such a ripe and unbridled age. (See video of the rants next week)."

Does anyone know what school did the Rockne speech? And what it the one Rudy does in the movie?

Sounds like he was talking about X. You talking about the movie Rudy? The speech most often used is the Coach Dan Devine line: "Gentlemen, this is our house. Nobody, and I MEAN Nobody, comes into our house and pushes us around."

Congrats again to the Tigers and their loyal fan base for this much-deserved ranking!!

That having been said, I was wondering who provided the background information to USA Today indicating that you were the "Defending 6A State Champs" ?? Also wondering why someone didn't mention this before in this thread.

Good luck the rest of the season and I hope that the real Defending 6A State Champs get a chance to play you again in the State Semis.

GO ROCKS!!:thumb:

Congrats again to the Tigers and their loyal fan base for this much-deserved ranking!!

That having been said, I was wondering who provided the background information to USA Today indicating that you were the "Defending 6A State Champs" ?? Also wondering why someone didn't mention this before in this thread.

Good luck the rest of the season and I hope that the real Defending 6A State Champs get a chance to play you again in the State Semis.

GO ROCKS!!:thumb:

Thanks for pointing out this error my friend. You know why I didn't. Nice talking to you at the game.

Sounds like he was talking about X. You talking about the movie Rudy? The speech most often used is the Coach Dan Devine line: "Gentlemen, this is our house. Nobody, and I MEAN Nobody, comes into our house and pushes us around."

I forgot that one. I was thinking about early in the movie when he's younger and showing his friend a Rockne pre-game speech that he's memorized. A lot of action and fast talking, that's the one I envisioned.

Actually, it wasn't the cross country speaker who gave the speech. While that young man is a fine speaker, and a great person and comes from excellent parents, Senior MIchael Edelen gave the Notre Dame speech. He has practiced it and delivered it superbly and is a product of a Notre Dame graduate. By the way, St X's cross country came in second in the Great American Cross Country challence in Birmingham. Seems they can run a little too besides giving speeches! ok, back to football.