Bowling Green 45 Warren Central 14

PurpleHaze

Wow...at first, I thought that the Dragons might have our number at Joe Hood Field. The Dragons scored first on an 80 yd drive (with only one pass, which was completed) with 7:40 left in the first qtr. Tabarus Mitchell finished the drive with a six yd run. The PAT was good, and Central led 7-0. Central dominated that first qtr, but things turned around very quickly.

With 6:04 left in the first half, the Purples scored on a one play drive, a 31 yd run by senior RB Tevin Barksdale. Senior K Zack Williams again took over for injured K "Automatic Max" Oldham (out four-to-six weeks) and booted the PAT to tie the game. Only 16 seconds later, BGHS scored again after recovering a Central fumble. Junior RB Lavance Anderson scored on the second play, a 19 yd run. Z. Williams knocked through the PAT again, and the Purples had the 14-7 lead. Z. Williams hit a FG with about a minute and a half left in the first half, and BGHS went to the locker room at the half with a 17-7 lead.

With 9:24 left in the third qtr, L. Anderson snared a TD pass from senior QB J.P. Jackson. Z. Williams again booted the PAT, and the Purples had a seemingly commanding 24-7 lead. But then Rigsby of the Dragons scored on a three yd run as time ran out in the third. The PAT was good, and the Purples led 24-14 after three.

Then the Purples' killer instinct kicked in. With 5:22 left in the game, T. Barksdale caught a TD pass from Jackson. Z. Williams nailed the PAT, and BGHS led 31-14. Only 14 seconds later, L. Anderson ran one in from four yards out. Z. Williams knocked through the PAT once again, and the Purples led 38-14. With 2:24 left in the game, reserve senior DL Ben Spencer scored on a 41 yd fumble return! Freshman K Luis Stoner booted the PAT, and the Purples secured the 45-14 win to take the early lead in the 5A District Two race.

Turnovers was the big story I felt like in this one. The Dragon QB was intercepted five times (two by T. Barksdale) and I know of two lost fumbles and a blocked punt. BGHS has yet to miss on a placement (PAT or FG) to date, and Z. Williams also got credit for a punt that went about 60 yards as well.

The Purples might have a pretty tough row to hoe next week, as they will host the talented and bitter longtime rival, the Franklin-Simpson Wildcats. Big Blue, I know, will be hungry for their first win in the series since 1999! I'm expecting a war a Donaldson Stadium/Beard Field next week. Hope it's a happy Homecoming Night, guys!:D

I hope so he sure has worked hard and deserves the record. My son Quit soccer last year and is only kicking for the football team. Maybe he will just need one extra point to break the record when we come down there for the playoffs and we have a nice lead and let him get that last one! :D;)