Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

10-Run Rule in Football????

Featured Replies

Coming off the Highlands/Holmes 64-point margin, there was discussion of just coming up with a final point spread that would just end the game immediately, sort of like a 10-run rule in baseball. Any thoughts to this????

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six-man football in Texas does this. If the second half margin reaches 45 points, the game automatically stops. I don't believe it can in the first half, however.

I know there's a running clock at 45 point spread. I thought there was a 70 point rule, but I'm not sure.

  • Author
I know there's a running clock at 45 point spread. I thought there was a 70 point rule, but I'm not sure.

 

Interesting, I never have heard of the 70 point rule. Can you elaborate on it a little???

I've actually wondered this myself.

 

I believe it probably has to do with baseball having no clock, therefore, a mercy rule keeps the game from going on for hours. In football, we simply just let the clock run to end the game as quickly as possible.

You shouldn't need a rule like that, it is an issue of class and sportmanship. There is a school or two in Northern Kentucky that could learn a lot from NCC's coach. There is absolutly no value in running up the score against a weaker opponent, other than padding the stats.

Does this help any???

 

After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 45 points or more, the following changes will be made regarding rules determining when the clock will be stopped and/or started. The clock shall continue to run from the point that the differential occurs (without regard to a later return to less than the differential) with the following clarifications:

 

http://www.khsaa.org/football/runningclockmemo.pdf

I don't want a point margin to end the game. I don't mind the running clock after 45 points though. After the game is in hand, I like using that real game situation to practice things against a live defense and get some varsity playing time for the JV.

 

You can't replicate real game experience and when a game is out of reach, that gives you that experience.

Running clock is fine, as it expedites the game and allows under utilized players, game action. No need for "point limit rule".

The game should not be shortened any more than it already is. People pay to see a whole game. The reserve players need the experience of playing in a varsity game environment. Plus, the parents of these reserve players deserve to see their sons play. I really don't like the 45 point rule for these reasons.

I don't want a point margin to end the game. I don't mind the running clock after 45 points though. After the game is in hand, I like using that real game situation to practice things against a live defense and get some varsity playing time for the JV.

 

You can't replicate real game experience and when a game is out of reach, that gives you that experience.

 

:thumb:

I think the only people happy with a running clock are the guys with the whistles.

You shouldn't need a rule like that, it is an issue of class and sportmanship. There is a school or two in Northern Kentucky that could learn a lot from NCC's coach. There is absolutly no value in running up the score against a weaker opponent, other than padding the stats.

 

Agree 100%. I have been at games where Russell could have scored 100 plus points if Coach McGloan wanted them to. A good Coach knows when to call off the dogs and gives the younger kids time to play. I have even seen McGloan refuse penalties against another teams. It all revolves around who the Head Coach is. Nothing more.

You shouldn't need a rule like that, it is an issue of class and sportmanship. There is a school or two in Northern Kentucky that could learn a lot from NCC's coach. There is absolutly no value in running up the score against a weaker opponent, other than padding the stats.

 

I see your point and COMPLETELY agree. Believe me, I've been on both ends of games like this. However, at times what can seem like running up the score can not be helped, regardless of how classy a coach is. A lot of times, especially in programs with stronger numbers, the younger guys are still more talented, and get excited about wanting a score. While the coach, IMO, should usually call interior run plays, in these situations JV kids can still score and get excited. When kids start to celebrate the TD that put them up by 40 as much as the first, it can seem like its egotistical. However I think most of the time they're just excited about the player who rarely gets to play score a touchdown, and I think its important as fans to recognize the difference.

You shouldn't need a rule like that, it is an issue of class and sportmanship. There is a school or two in Northern Kentucky that could learn a lot from NCC's coach. There is absolutly no value in running up the score against a weaker opponent, other than padding the stats.

 

What are you to do when the starters from one team cannot stop the underclassmen from the other? Please...do tell!! It has been debated and re-debated time and time again, I would certainly love to hear what you would do as a coach. Do you just take a knee on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down then punt on every possession?

I've always thought it humorous, that one team scoring is a lack of class. Some would suggest, "don't pass" as that is classless. Some would say, starters shouldn't be in after halftime, if up big. Some would say, don't do this/that but sometimes, a team is inferior in talent, coaching and ability on a given night.

 

1) A handoff, can lead to a touchdown very often.

2) Poor tackling at the line of scrimmage, is often the cause of TD's.

3) Having less than skilled Juniors/Seniors, playing against Freshmen and Sophomores (because one team should sub), can create a considerable difference, in body sizes.

4) Often, subbing does stem the scoring but in those instances it does not, don't blame the other team, for being better.

 

Once the score reaches the current running clock, it flows the game. Short of stopping it then, there will be instances when one team is simply better, in these District or season match-ups.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.