Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

10-Run Rule in Football????

Featured Replies

The game should not be shortened any more than it already is. People pay to see a whole game. The reserve players need the experience of playing in a varsity game environment. Plus, the parents of these reserve players deserve to see their sons play. I really don't like the 45 point rule for these reasons.

 

The problem is when the winning coach does not use this as an opportunity to play the reserves. I have seen the losing team put in reserves while the team up 40+ points still has the first string in the game.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Im coaching a team, up 45 points on another team and running the ball, if your team cant stop mine, thats not my fault. I dont think a coach should EVER tell his kids to stop playing regardless of the score.

If Im coaching a team, up 45 points on another team and running the ball, if your team cant stop mine, thats not my fault. I dont think a coach should EVER tell his kids to stop playing regardless of the score.

 

:thumb:

 

Maybe put the last stringers in but never tell KIDS to stop playing.

:thumb:

 

Maybe put the last stringers in but never tell KIDS to stop playing.

 

Exactly...Pull the starters, and run the ball...That's all you can do.

:thumb:

I think the only people happy with a running clock are the guys with the whistles.

Truer words have never been spoken. The easiest games to officiate are the ones that go to the wire. The hardest are the ones with the lopsided scoreboard.

 

Personally, I appreciate the running clock but am not in favor of a point differential that would end the game early. Let the kids learn how to win big gracefully and, even though it sucks hard, lose with dignity.

Exactly...Pull the starters, and run the ball...That's all you can do.
Totally agree with pulling the starters, but what if your team is a predominiantly passing team. What good does it do to put in your #2 or #3 QB to run repeated dive plays if that's not what you do offensively? What "work" does that backup QB get by running 02 over and over?
The problem is when the winning coach does not use this as an opportunity to play the reserves. I have seen the losing team put in reserves while the team up 40+ points still has the first string in the game.

 

How often have you seen that? Not questioning the validity of your statement, but in my decades of watching high school football, I've never seen that happen. What I HAVE seen happen way too often however is the winning coach put in sophomores and freshmen when he is up big, while the losing coach keeps his starters in. As others have mentioned, there is a big difference in body development between sophomores/freshmen and seniors. I've seen the losing team's starters take out their frustration by using, lets say, "aggressive" play on the field against the sophomores/freshmen way too often to the point it gets dangerous out there.

 

With most schools playing JV games the next day anyway, I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of games ending if one team is up by 45 at halftime or at any point after half time.

I don't want a point margin to end the game. I don't mind the running clock after 45 points though. After the game is in hand, I like using that real game situation to practice things against a live defense and get some varsity playing time for the JV.

 

You can't replicate real game experience and when a game is out of reach, that gives you that experience.

 

I agree with you. However we have posters that believe you are running up the score if you continue to run your offense. I don't see how taking a knee helps the backup players. Just end the game and all of this running up the score talk is moot.

The game should not be shortened any more than it already is. People pay to see a whole game. The reserve players need the experience of playing in a varsity game environment. Plus, the parents of these reserve players deserve to see their sons play. I really don't like the 45 point rule for these reasons.

 

People pay to see baseball games and they are ended early quite frequently. Funny how you never hear the running up the score issue in baseball. Why's that?

I know there's a running clock at 45 point spread. I thought there was a 70 point rule, but I'm not sure.

 

 

doesn't exist. Boyd co. was up on us 70-0 in 2005 and the game kept on... Final score 80-12. OUCH. also lost to Frankfort last year 84-ROCK.

People pay to see baseball games and they are ended early quite frequently. Funny how you never hear the running up the score issue in baseball. Why's that?

 

You do. There are 2 reasons that it is not as prominent

1. Baseball isn't followed as closely as football, either due to game times being during working hours, or people not caring as much.

2. With football scoring being what it is 70-6 looks a whole lot worse than 10-1.

Totally agree with pulling the starters, but what if your team is a predominiantly passing team. What good does it do to put in your #2 or #3 QB to run repeated dive plays if that's not what you do offensively? What "work" does that backup QB get by running 02 over and over?

 

 

Totally agree. If you are going to let the back ups play in mop up situations, let them work on getting better running their systems. Honestly, you never know if a starter is going to get hurt and a back up pressed into a critical starting position. Honestly, I think it is unfair as heck to the team if a back up is not ready because valuable mop up experience was wasted taking a knee. Furthermore, even if the injury situation does not occur, the time spent in mop up, if used wisely, helps prepare the back ups when they become starters next year. I think those coaches that use the back ups wisely in mop up situations and put a lot of emphasis on the JV games are at programs that, not coincidentally, avoid the deep up and down cycles from year to year.

The only reason this is a rule in baseball is because it's not a timed game. If there was a time limit, the 10 run rule would go away.

The only reason this is a rule in baseball is because it's not a timed game. If there was a time limit, the 10 run rule would go away.

 

Wow imagine if they did take the ten rule away. We would have people wanting a team that is up big, to pitch underhand, and to bat with blindfolds on:cool:

Wow imagine if they did take the ten rule away. We would have people wanting a team that is up big, to pitch underhand, and to bat with blindfolds on:cool:

 

...only if a certain Catholic school in the northern Campbell County area would have their coach say it was okay. :laugh:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.