Chad first must buy 'C. Johnson' gear to wear 'Ocho Cinco'

Bengals wide receiver Chad Ocho Cinco is learning first-hand how seriously the NFL takes its ability to license players and their names.

Before he can wear a jersey with his new surname emblazoned on the back, he first must buy every "C. Johnson" jersey for sale nationwide. And there are thousands of "C. Johnson" replica jerseys available, with a production cost of about $48 apiece.

"When a player requests a name change or a number change, the player is responsible for that unsold inventory," NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy said.

Ochocinco (one word) became the receiver's legal surname Aug. 28. But he is called Chad Ocho Cinco (two words) on the team's official roster.

LINK

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's part of the contract the NFL has with Reebok, I don't know how MJ's was handled but he did actually leave the game and come back, Chad isn't doing that. I know that Rivers had to buy 11K worth of his jerseys before the league would allow him to change. Chad on the other hand has hundreds of jerseys at Koch's alone, I'm sure it won't be a small expense for him.

I don't understand why Reebok is not moving forward with the Ochocinco jersey. Once released they would far outsell any other jersey on the market.

I really don't think there are that many fans of Chad JOHNSON or OCHOCINCO out there to become the #1 selling jersey. I think most have grown old of his antics.