Dawahare's Closing All Stores

bigblueinsanity

Well the good news is that there will be some big sales.

I have worked other for 10 years on and off and none of this is good news. It was my first job.

There is a possibility that the Eastern Kentucky stores will be bought and remain open.

The one here in town closed about 6 months ago. I hate to see all of them close. Times are getting hard my friends, this may just be a beginning of things to come.

:thumb: I agree and hope that we are wrong about that but I am afraid that is right.

That's what happens when you try to expand to markets that are different than where you had success to begin with. Economics are different in say Somerset or Hopkinsville as opposed to Lexington. Starbucks is suffering from the same problem. People in NYC will pay five dollars for a cup of coffee. Pikeville, not so much.

That's what happens when you try to expand to markets that are different than where you had success to begin with. Economics are different in say Somerset or Hopkinsville as opposed to Lexington. Starbucks is suffering from the same problem. People in NYC will pay five dollars for a cup of coffee. Pikeville, not so much.

I think when the news first came out that they were closing unprofitable stores only a few month's ago, the Somerset was one of the few stores that was going to remain open. While Somerset is not in the Golden Triangle, this is a very successful place for business.

I think Dawahares biggest issue is that they catered too narrowly to only one certain customer. Except for UK and UL merchandise and Webkins (if you don't know what they are ask a 6 year old girl), they catered primarily what we called in my day the "Preppies". In this day and age from a business model standpoint, their target market is just to small a percentage of the population. Dawahares focused too much on image and not on value, when you can walk out of Dawahares and walk down the mall to Pennys or Belks or any of a number of other mall stores and find the same merchandise cheaper, that is a problem.

While I hate to see them close their stores and so many people loose their jobs, my hope is that there will be a Dawahares rebirth with the focus on serving Kentuckians (their customer base) and not such a narrow group of select customers.

Went to one of the Dawahare's stores in the area the other day; they were announcing a storewide clearance. Clearance proces were higher than the same merchandise regularly priced at the competition.

This really saddens me. I have spent many a dollar at Dawahare's but have always liekd their clothing and always went to them to dress me in the latest UK shirts. Hopefully the South Williamson locationw ill still be open at Labor Day when i come back to KY.