Meeting a celebrity.

KYNINERSFAN

In 1998 right after Kentucky won the National Championship, and Jeff Shepard was named MVP of the tournament, Jeff spent one entire day at my house filming a television commercial. It didn't hurt that I have a UK goal in my driveway and my entire basement is Trinity and UK themed. He ate lunch with my family and friends and just hung out with us. That was great!!!!!!!!!!

I've also met Muhammad Ali, a few NBA players, many golf pros but my biggest thrill was hanging out with Arnold Palmer at Kearney Hill in 1992 for his birthday. He's the man.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met a few, but I guess the most notable is Michael Jordan.

I also rode in an elevator with Reese Wetherspoon at the Ritz-Carlton in Atlanta, but didn't realize it until she got off.

Consider yourself very lucky!!! Wow!

Lets see:

Bob Hope: Awsome man....He missed his flight to talk and sign an autograph for me and my mom. He was supper friendly and would not have traded the memory for anything.

Muhammad Ali: Can't say enough about this man. He is super great and the best person!

Sammy Davis JR: Creep is the only way I can describe him. He was riding his bicycle in downtown Seattle. My family and I were waiting for the light so that we could walk across the street....he was there as well. I said hello and aren't you Sammy. He told me that I was too young to address him by his first name and told my parents that we needed to leave him alone....I can not stand this man to this day!!!

Wilt Chamberlin: Wonderful man! Great with kids.

Jermaine Jackson: Jerk...I think he would have been more friendly had his dad not been there. We were at the airport and it seemed like he was afraid to talk. This is when the Jackson Five were popular.

Marie Osmond: Was nice but could have been more friendly. At the time I had a HUGE crush on Donnie and Jimmy. They were not there, but, I told Marie that I was going to be her sister in law and she walked away.

Bill Cosby: I could go on for months about this man. He is wonderful. There are no words to describe him. His Doctorate in Elementary Education doesn't even begin to describe how he is with kids. I met him when I was about 9 years old at an airport. I was so excited about meeting him that my dad offered to take all of us back into the break room (my dad worked at the airline). Bill did not even blink...he said ABSOlUTELY!!! He missed his flight to talk with me and ONLY me for about 4 hours. We just talked. He came down to my level to have a wondeful conversation with me. He asked if he could give me something to remember him by. I said no, I will always remember this. He gave my a 20 dollar bill and told me to have a great life and to make something of myself. I would LOVE to meet this man again one day!

Richie Farmer: Our youngest daughter and I met him at a book signing. Sarah sat on his lap and flirted (she was about 6 years old at the time). He was a great guy!

Hillbilly Jim: I met him through PH. PH worked with him at Mr D's Pizza in Bowling Green in the 70's when Jim was a bouncer and PH delivered pizza's. PH said he would do anything for a laugh. He is a super guy!

Rowdy Roddy Piper: Nice man however, not the greatest. He seemed like he was friendly because he had to be.

Jerry Lawler: He was the king...and acted like it. Not a real nice person.

Diamond Reo. One of our foster daughters was related one of the band members.

PH's first cousin's horse won the Belmont a few years back.

Kenny Perry. Our nephews ex wife is his married to his cousin. PH met him several times and he is a super guy.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: LOL I was soooo scared of him. His hand covered about my whole body! I think I was below his knee! He was great. After I met him I was no longer afraid...instead a big fan. He is great with kids as well!!!

Andre The Giant: The Gentle Giant does not even come close to descibing him!!! He was about the nicest person that I had ever met. He really loved his young wrestling fans!! To say any more about him would do him a great injustice....that is how wondeful he is (no words can decribe it)!!!!

I met Vince Gill while working at a concert in Morehead but I got to meet Rex Chapman and Kenny Walker at Hooters in Lexington years ago and that was a much bigger thrill to me.

I met Kenny Walker in the bathroom at O'Hare Airport.

I also rode in an elevator with Reese Wetherspoon at the Ritz-Carlton in Atlanta, but didn't realize it until she got off.

Lucky :D. She is one of my favorites, she reminds me more of a "real" human being than a lot of the Hollywierd types.....so much make up on that you have they have to chisle it off and their actions always seem to me as "looking down on people" Witherspoon just seems more down to earth than most.

Only story I've got was having dinner with Cal Ripken, Jr. at an awards dinner in San Diego.

Great strory, especially about him playing with your son. That is something that the both of you will never forget.

Great story OldRambler!
Thanks, I was afraid that I had went on too much but it was special to me.

I've met just about every major leader in DC...lol. And regardless of what you think of him...the most personable and comfortable to be around is GWB. W just has a way about him that lights up a room. That includes Clinton or anyone else. The one thing I've discovered about ALL....I repeat ALL....politicians is they only care about $$$$. If you have $$$$ to donate they got an ear for you. They care way more about being re-elected than issues.

I personally try to avoid Celebs when their around...I've met many, mostly when there is a reason...but I refuse to go up to a celebrity just to speak or get an autograph. And I have never understood adults hording for someone signature...

Couple of funny stories....

One of my vendors gave me tickets to a Rascal Flatts concert with backstage passes. I was in the back in their hospitality room drinking their beer up and they came in the room (HUGE DORKS BTW!!!!) and one of them asked me If I had a pin on me...and I said no...and he said he didnt have one to sign an autograph for me!!! I laughed a little and told him I was good. Had another beer or two and left.

I was in Charlotte on biz and was getting a coffee at Dean and Deluca and Ric Flair was standing behind me....long story short we have a mutual friend through business. He gave me his cell phone # and wanted me to call him because he was interested in investing in my biz... I never called...lol He was pretty cool though.

Bill Clinton / Hillary Clinton/ Al Gore / Tipper Gore / Myself

With the exception of the last one listed, you have my sympathy. :D

I am sure that you would have to be a much better and more pleasant person than the previous four that you listed :eek:. I would hope that the "myself" person would be the better person of that group (and I am talking about the bgp Madeleine/yourself). .....:thumb:

Have shaken hands with Morgan Freeman and Kenny Mayne in a 3 minute stretch at the KY Derby in 1999.

Shook hands with President Bill Clinton in 1996 at UK, and in 1999 in Hazard.

Also met:

Denzel Washington

Gene Kranz(mission director of Apollo 13)

A group of the first class of Tuskeegee Airmen

Nick and George Clooney

Laura Bell Bundy (Lexington Catholic High School Class of 99)-Elle Woods from Broadway show Legally Blonde

Rappers Ludacris, Nappy Roots, Juvenile, and Flava Flav

A number of professional athletes and famous coaches.

Am friends with a number of professional athletes

friends with a couple of people who have been on MTV Road Rules/Fresh Meat show,

and am glad to call Cynthiana native Alecia Whitaker a friend. She appeard on Ellen and was proposed to by her Boyfriend. She also appeared on Deal or No Deal recently.