33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do this deal?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do it.

You get a leadoff hitter, a solid reliever and some cash for a guy who can't do much of anything but hit HR's.

I'm not down on Dunn as much as some are, but I'd still move him if I got a decent offer. But, that's just me.

Absolutely. Pierre is no home run hitter, but he can hit the ball and flies around the bases. Chin probably needs to spend more time in the minors, but with a little work, he could give us some depth that we always seem to be running out of.

I honestly can't see much value in keeping Dunn. Sure, he can hit the homers, but that's of limited value if you don't have any base runners. He's slow in the outfield and his .225 average is sad.

I'd do it.

You get a leadoff hitter, a solid reliever and some cash for a guy who can't do much of anything but hit HR's.

I'm not down on Dunn as much as some are, but I'd still move him if I got a decent offer. But, that's just me.

Unless Hu has suddenly develped an out pitch you won't get much of a reliever. Hu is a shortstop that has hit .159 this season in 107 at bats. Pierre has no pop and only a .330 on base percentage. I don't think this deal makes the Reds any better either short or long term.

Unless Hu has suddenly develped an out pitch you won't get much of a reliever. Hu is a shortstop that has hit .159 this season in 107 at bats. Pierre has no pop and only a .330 on base percentage. I don't this deal makes the Reds any better either short or long term.

He has a pretty large contract as well.

He has a pretty large contract as well.

It's still a savings of $3m in salary ($6m if you consider the $13m figure that most figure Dunn would go up to next year if he's still here).

I like Dunn, but I don't think his "offense" is as irreplaceable as some of you guys do. He still doesn't drive in enough runs for my tastes, and you can roll your eyes all you want, but he does strike out entirely too much. Every time I watch him take a third strike with RISP, I die a little bit more inside.

Pierre's career OBP is .347 and he steals 45-50 bases a year. He would be the leadoff hitter the Reds haven't had in I don't know how long. Gets about 195 hits a year.

A guy like Pierre also gives the Reds the opportunity to shift guys around to where they can be more effective. Votto can go to left, the Alonso kid can play first, and Bruce goes to right.

I'm seeing Bruce, Votto, E5 and Phillips as 25-35 HR/90+ RBI per year (and 90-100 runs isn't out of the question with each, either) once they realize their potential, which could be next year, meaning Dunn's production isn't going to be missed as much as some of you think. The Reds already go anemic for long stretches anyway.

And above all else, Daugherty's column from the other day was pretty on point. The Reds and Dunn could both use a fresh start apart from each other.

I'd be curious about how much cash is in the deal, or whether the Reds could squeeze a pitcher out of the Dodgers. Hong-Chih Kuo seems to be coming into his own as a middle reliever. Or maybe see if they're willing to part with the Kershaw kid.

It would be a terrible deal for the Reds. Pierre is on the downside of his career, isn't a great on-base guy anymore, has no pop and might have the worst outfield arm in the major leagues. Plus, he has an awful contract that pays him $28.5 million fron 2009-11.

The Dodgers would love to dump Pierre's contract on someone else, and would take almost nothing to do it.

I'd be curious about how much cash is in the deal, or whether the Reds could squeeze a pitcher out of the Dodgers. Hong-Chih Kuo seems to be coming into his own as a middle reliever. Or maybe see if they're willing to part with the Kershaw kid.
Dunn isn't going to net any of those guys.