Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC

Featured Replies

Obviously McDonald knows the game of basketball and was/is a very successful coach. In addition, know first hand dealing with parents, who often think their kids are much better than they are, is a major pain in the butt. However, I would guess that McDonald's bluntness and lack of people skills didn't exactly help the situation. In a nutshell I guess I am saying there is plenty of blame to go around here.

 

Not to dispute anything you say, but I'm just wondering where McDonald's bluntness and lack of people skills were mentioned. Nothing in the article I read mentioned this. Incidently, in your dealings with parents such as those mentioned above, if you had a way of convincing parents their kids were not as good as they thought, you should bottle it. I'm sure every coach around would be happy tp buy some, as all are probably faced with this from time to time.

  • Replies 118
  • Views 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does this mean Principal Bob Noll could be possibly cleaning house completely!!!:sssh:

So does this mean Principal Bob Noll could be possibly cleaning house completely!!!:sssh:

No.

Not to dispute anything you say, but I'm just wondering where McDonald's bluntness and lack of people skills were mentioned. Nothing in the article I read mentioned this. Incidently, in your dealings with parents such as those mentioned above, if you had a way of convincing parents their kids were not as good as they thought, you should bottle it. I'm sure every coach around would be happy tp buy some, as all are probably faced with this from time to time.

 

It doesn't mention it, but I don't know what that has to do with it.

Not to dispute anything you say, but I'm just wondering where McDonald's bluntness and lack of people skills were mentioned. Nothing in the article I read mentioned this. Incidently, in your dealings with parents such as those mentioned above, if you had a way of convincing parents their kids were not as good as they thought, you should bottle it. I'm sure every coach around would be happy tp buy some, as all are probably faced with this from time to time.

 

I've coached for many years and have found that when dealing with kids and their parents the two most important things to remember are, always be fair, and always be honest. Most parents only want their kid to get a fair shot. If a coach does that, I've found that very few parents complain.

If her overall mark was 200-98 then it looks like she knew how to coach and who to play. She was hired to coach basketball, if she got along with the girls, was fair, and respected them, what do her people skills have to do with anything? I would venture to say the perception that she lacked people skills came from those that didn't like hearing the daughter wasn't good enough to either play at all or get more playing time. Truth hurts!

If her overall mark was 200-98 then it looks like she knew how to coach and who to play. She was hired to coach basketball, if she got along with the girls, was fair, and respected them, what do her people skills have to do with anything? I would venture to say the perception that she lacked people skills came from those that didn't like hearing the daughter wasn't good enough to either play at all or get more playing time. Truth hurts!

 

Very well said!!! Coaching roughly 300 games takes many many years. I would think if Coach McDonald did not have people skills, she would have been forced out years ago. Again, I don't know Coach McDonald as well as most, however the few times I have had interactions with her, she came across as professional and very caring.

I've coached for many years and have found that when dealing with kids and their parents the two most important things to remember are, always be fair, and always be honest. Most parents only want their kid to get a fair shot. If a coach does that, I've found that very few parents complain.

 

It would be very interesting to know how the people affected most be this feel; the players returning to this year's team. I'm not sure but if I remember correctly from last year there are quite a few. I wonder if their opinions were even considered? Isn't it ironic that decisions like these are made but the kids most directly concerned usually aren't even involved.

It doesn't mention it, but I don't know what that has to do with it.

 

I guess I'm questioning how you know if McDonald is blunt or lacks people skills or are you just assuming this?

I guess I'm questioning how you know if McDonald is blunt or lacks people skills or are you just assuming this?

 

 

I know.

Truth hurts!

 

It sure does.

From speaking to another excoach at NCC, it seems there are many issues with the parents. Too bad NCC lost more than one good coach.

Did any of these "issues" start when they started playing 8th graders on the varsity?

Did any of these "issues" start when they started playing 8th graders on the varsity?

 

I don't think 8th graders have ever played varsity at NCC. I don't think they have in any sport. I'm almost positive they've never played varsity in boys or girls basketball.

I know.

 

Any person's opinion is subjective, based on their views. That doesn't make it so.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.