Hal Mumme needs fan support. NOW!

The Scribe

I have read the book and I did not get that sense at all. I thought he was honest and humble. He admitted that there were things that he wished he did differently, as well as things he observed that had happened. Of course, I also understand, unless a person was part of the staff, he really doesn't know what happened.

Tony Franklin has complimented and has given credit to Hal Mumme time and time again. Just like any coach, he has taken parts of what he has learned from different coaches and made his own mark. After what he has done in the area of consultation to many high schools across the country, if he wants to pat himself on the back, I won't stop him.

I also have read the book ,and comply with this post. :thumb:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how different people percieve things. I also read Franklins book and came away feeling he may have been the only one on the staff cockier than Hal. What's he done for high schools across the country is make a pocketful of money.
Gee, how dare he ... making money for being a football coach and providing a service for which others are willing to pay.

I don't have a problem with any of the coaches during that time. The where asked to come in and win. Sad part is they decided to do it by breaking the rules. I think the time they where at UK they did a lot for that program. They had several big wins and got UK fans excited about football.

The only thing I was pointing out is everyone around hates Mumme and Bassett, but they never say anything about the other coaches and their involvement.

Gee, how dare he ... making money for being a football coach and providing a service for which others are willing to pay.

I don't blame him for that, it just hit me the other post sounded like he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart. Mumme did nothing but set UK football back 5-10 years, the best teams he had were with Curry's players. Coachbucket and I agree on most things, but not here. I'm with you on none of the other coaches being squeaky clean.

I would be willing to bet all the coaches knew about the type of techinques that occurred

Actually, Guy Morris went to the administration at UK more than once about what was going on. That is why he was given a chance to be the head coach, because he wanted to run a clean program and had good communication with the university. Too bad he couldn't recruit very well. He was left with a great deal of talent, but even with limited scholarships was not able to sign many D1 caliber players. Nice guy though. Hated to see him fail at Baylor.

As far as Mumme, he won games with Curry's players but was unable to do as much once that well dried up. I hate what he and some of his staff did to the UK program and hope he sees the road pretty soon.

I don't blame him for that, it just hit me the other post sounded like he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart. Mumme did nothing but set UK football back 5-10 years, the best teams he had were with Curry's players. Coachbucket and I agree on most things, but not here. I'm with you on none of the other coaches being squeaky clean.

How can you set back a program that was on it's knees when Mumme took over?

As far as losing players yes it hurt Brooks as far as depth is concerned. But Morris had a tom of talent that Mumme brought in.

I don't blame him for that, it just hit me the other post sounded like he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart. Mumme did nothing but set UK football back 5-10 years, the best teams he had were with Curry's players. I'm with you on none of the other coaches being squeaky clean.

:thumb: I agree with you on these comments.

As for the Mumme/Franklin style offense. Franklin conducted his camp/program at our local h.s. for a couple of years. Our school ran the exact "Air Raid" offense of Franklin and Mumme for a few years and are now running the spread with a little more of running running game mixed in with it. Each coach imo has to or should adapt to his talent on any given year.

I personally don't like it but the kids sure love playing it. ;) Especially when they came from a program that was always a power running style offense (power I, wishbone, etc..)

How can you set back a program that was on it's knees when Mumme took over?

As far as losing players yes it hurt Brooks as far as depth is concerned. But Morris had a tom of talent that Mumme brought in.

It' called probation.

Like I said we're not going to agree. Mumme won with Curry's players. Scheme wise they may have been worse off with Curry, but character, morals, and ethics sure took a hit under Mumme. Someone close to the program told me the main reason Morris left was because he knew how bad thay were going to be once limitations were imposed. I think that was Brooks' second season. Which was awful.

Like I said we're not going to agree. Mumme won with Curry's players. Scheme wise they may have been worse off with Curry, but character, morals, and ethics sure took a hit under Mumme. Someone close to the program told me the main reason Morris left was because he knew how bad thay were going to be once limitations were imposed. I think that was Brooks' second season. Which was awful.

We are not talking about morals and ethics, I am talking about coaching and recruiting. When Mumme left he left a nice pool of talent for Morris. Now grant it his last year of recruiting wasn't very good because the NCAA infractions were hanging over his head.

Your right we won't agree, having to many players with morals and ethics will have you looking for a new job........Bill Curry.

Every team needs a few outlaws.:D

What gets me is that people seemed to look at Mumme is a winner while he was there because they were putting points on the board, but they were seldom enough points to win. I dont remember.....what was his best season? Big wins?

:thumb::thumb: My point exactly, I do not think that Mumme was good coach at all. A team HAS to play defense. Hal Mumme completely disregarded defense, as a matter of fact he had been noted as saying "hurry up and let them score.....we want the ball back". Brilliant philosophy :rolleyes:, especially in the SEC :D.

My personal opinion.....Hal Mumme (morals or coaching philosophy) wouldn't make a pimple on a good coaches backside.

UK was in worse shape when Mumme took over than Morris and Brooks did while on probation.
I respectfully disagree. Mumme and staff severed a lot of ties among H.S coaches in KY. Mumme made fundamental errors that affected the program long after he was gone.