High School Soccer - Love It, Hate It, or Somewhere in Between?

mcpapa

How do you feel about high school soccer?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about high school soccer?

• I love it
    • I don't care for it at all
    • It's all right, but I don't go out of my way to watch

I know that we've debated the merits of soccer several times on BGP. I would like this thread to focus specifically on high school soccer.

Do you love it? Do you not care for it at all? Do you see soccer as a sport that siphons athletes from other sports? If so, is this more of an issue in smaller schools? On the flip side, does high school soccer afford athetic opportunities who might not otherwise play sports such as football and basketball? Are there Title IX implications?

PS - putting this in general discussion so maybe more folks will see.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who played soccer, although not at the varsity level, I have a love of the sport and so I'd say it's alright. I put I don't go out of my way to watch because I love playing it, not watching it. I also live in an area where two schools dominate the sport completely (Bowling Green & Greenwood) and so I don't possess a great desire to see them win every single time they match up against my team.

I don't see it as a sport that siphons a significant number of athletes, at least not from the sport it directly competes with which is football. I think for the most part the type of player that you have in football is not the type of player you see in soccer and vice versa. The only area that is really affected is the kicking game, and I've seen Bowling Green pull off for years a sharing of players in that facet of the game that I'm confident other schools could make it work as well.

It's a great subject for photography, and I appreciate it mostly because of that. I can get into a really good game through that angle, but it also makes the 8-0 blowouts that much more unbearable.

At larger schools such as WC and BG, it doesn't necessarily draw athletes away from football. The numbers are deep enough in the student body to cover it.

But at Class 3A and below, it certainly does in that many of the faster kids opt for soccer instead of football (not really many starting spots for slow kids in soccer), thinning out the overall football team speed. I've seen football coaches watch soccer games and drift off into a happy trance wondering how much more varied their offense could be if they had the speed on their roster that is right in front of them, yet unavailable.

This also happens in the case of those fast kids (and sometimes ADD-types) who may prefer a much less structured and hyper-competitive environment than football's boot camp atmosphere. This also probably is what drew them to (drove them toward?) youth league soccer's more freewheeling environment in the first place.

In many of the kids' cases, they may have played baseball, football, basketball and soccer in their youth league days, but one day they noticed overbearing dad was easier to deal with on the soccer field because he didn't play the sport, and didn't know jack about it, and as a result the personal coaching was kept to a minimum.

High school soccer does afford kids more opportunities to further their career at the college level. But just like most every other sport, the dirty little secret is that only the ultra-elite get full rides. Mom and dad are still gonna end up writing a hefty check for college so the kid can play at Cumberlands or Campbellsville, when they thought that's why they spent a mint on hotel rooms and gas carting the kid around to select tournaments for all those years.

High school soccer does afford kids more opportunities to further their career at the college level. But just like most every other sport, the dirty little secret is that only the ultra-elite get full rides. Mom and dad are still gonna end up writing a hefty check for college so the kid can play at Cumberlands or Campbellsville, when they thought that's why they spent a mint on hotel rooms and gas carting the kid around to select tournaments for all those years.

I loved it when I played while in high school. I played started three years on our Varsity team and sat the bench on it my freshmen year...won two regional titles at Boone County high school. I think its a great sport and I don't really think I can say that it siphons players from other sports (if that means takes them away). I was a four sport lettermen in high school, and many other players on my team played on multiple sports for the school. We had a lot of soccer and basketball player combos.

And as for what Jim Schue said...he is perfectly right. I had several chances to play at smallers school but I had no chance of a full ride and it wasn't worth paying that much to go to Campbellsville, Lincoln Memorial, and others. I loved high school soccer while I was in high school, don't really pay attention to it anymore.

I loved it when I played while in high school. I played started three years on our Varsity team and sat the bench on it my freshmen year...won two regional titles at Boone County high school. I think its a great sport and I don't really think I can say that it siphons players from other sports (if that means takes them away). I was a four sport lettermen in high school, and many other players on my team played on multiple sports for the school. We had a lot of soccer and basketball player combos.

But if you went to a school the size of Walton-Verona as opposed to BC, do you see how the dynamic would be different?

But if you went to a school the size of Walton-Verona as opposed to BC, do you see how the dynamic would be different?

Well, I guess that is true, I did go to a rather large school. Heck, my freshman year I wanted to quit soccer and try out for the football team, I am a bigger boy for a soccer player and probably would have done alright for myself, but mom advised against leaving something I had played for ten years.

You could make the arguement that football siphons from soccer too? Couldn't ya? I know most would laugh at that, but I still feel it to be true.

Love it for girls and guys too small for football. Love the video games and enjoy the World Cup when America is playing or somebody like Ronaldo is playing (I can respect his game).

It is incredible as far as watching the cardio that is involved and the soccer moms:)

It wears me out when people try to make the comparison too football!

I think it's good for young kids to gain coordination and cardio. I also think it's OK at the bigger schools for boys or for boys who couldn't handle the beatings in football. Other than that I'm not big on it at high school.

It also gets really boring sometimes with the lack of ability to score.

Love it for girls and guys too small for football. Love the video games and enjoy the World Cup when America is playing or somebody like Ronaldo is playing (I can respect his game).

It is incredible as far as watching the cardio that is involved and the soccer moms:)

It wears me out when people try to make the comparison too football!

I think it's good for young kids to gain coordination and cardio. I also think it's OK at the bigger schools for boys or for boys who couldn't handle the beatings in football. Other than that I'm not big on it at high school.

It also gets really boring sometimes with the lack of ability to score.

That attitude towards soccer is comical.

I'll take a beating for this but I like it. Great sport for kids, teaches teamwork, stamina, cardio, gets them outside off their behinds, agility, and conditioning. I don't find it boring, I think there is an excitement to it found in enjoying the intricacies of the game. The attitude that it is somehow a sport for wimps is also perplexing; soccer is a swift and violent sport in many ways, and on average the soccer player is in far better condition than the football player. Now, all that having been said I'll choose football and baseball every day of the week, but it does not diminish my appreciation (shared worldwide) for futbol.

That attitude towards soccer is comical.

There are some great soccer players that could be great football players I've seen first hand. Of the schools I've been at a good 80+% of the kids are kids that couldn't hack it at football and played soccer. I'm not saying it's bad but I've seen it first hand at some of the better soccer schools in the state.