Rose Hill hires football coach

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is Rose Hill supposed to begin playing?

They will play a JV schedule this year, and then start playing varsity next year. I'm pretty sure that's right, but someone can correct if I'm wrong.

Man if Rose Hill pulls this off for real it will a real coup! He brings everything a school could ask for to the table. Wish him and the Hill nothing but the best. Their football program is going into its' third year this fall and they have had great success so far. If Bil Tom is at the helm things will be even brighter. I agree that his presence could spark interest in the program and maybe a few players too!:dancingpa

The freshman class has a few very good players who would be impact players at other local schools. These are kids who are in the school and been there for a while.

There are also good players in the middle school. The high school has some very good athletes, but they have not played football.

I am wondering if players will transfer in for football. With a good coach, along with good young talent, it may be attractive to some.

I hope numbers aren't a problem.

I was actually lucky enough to play for Coach Ross in high school. He was a great coach and an even better person. He actually gave us popsicle breaks during our 3 a days in the summer:laugh: He was the type of coach that made everything a competition. We were always competing for something, most of the time it was a meal with him at Giovannis or The Ponderosa Steak House:laugh:

I got a chance to participate in his legendary "Red Dawn" practice. 24 hours of nothing but football. I believe this has since been outlawed by the state.

He was all around just a wonderful man to play for. He cared about us and he showed it every day.

All that being said, I worry that his health will prevent him from ever coaching again. I'd love to see him coach at RH, they would become my second favorite team in the district. I just don't see this happening.

I remember having to play against Coach Ross my senior year. We beat him but it was tough to celebrate because we had to watch him be carted off the field on a golf cart. It was tough to see a man I admired that much in that type of shape.

What effect will Rose Hill's football program have on the following teams' programs over the next 5-10 years?

Ashland

Fairview

Boyd County

Russell

Raceland

No disrespect towards RH at all, but I believe that a football team at would be exactly like their basketball team with a little less success.

RH would have great teams come through every so often and do well, then the talent would leave or graduate and they would be back around the bottom again.

The number of players they could have would worry me the most. I would think that some years they wouldn't be able to have a team due to lack of interest.

I'd love for them to get a program together.

What effect will Rose Hill's football program have on the following teams' programs over the next 5-10 years?

Ashland

Fairview

Boyd County

Russell

Raceland

I don't think RH will affect Raceland, never really has. With Russell, most of the time in the recent past Russell has benefited from RH, not RH benefiting from Russell.

The other three could be affected. But, I don't know how much. That is yet to be seen, I guess.

I don't think RH will affect Raceland, never really has. With Russell, most of the time in the recent past Russell has benefited from RH, not RH benefiting from Russell.

The other three could be affected. But, I don't know how much. That is yet to be seen, I guess.

Well, I cant really make a comment about this. Because it has been discussed time and time again with other program. This thread should be put in private and publics. And Ram you know how I feel about that.

He was an assistant for those great Ashland Tomcat teams under Coach Herb Conley in the mid 70's, he then went to Boyd Co. as a head coach, from there to Raceland, back to Boyd County, and a couple of years at Johnson Central. He is pretty much credited for helping build the great tradation at Raceland.

First I want to say welcome to BGP Mr. Wildcat. Glad to have you aboard.

Coach Ross did an outstanding job while at the helm and is the best coach to ever walk the Raceland sideline, but the Raceland Tradition was already in place. I do agree he is responsible for keeping the Orange Blood boiling but there are some other coaches who played key roles in making Ram Football what it is today. I'm not trying to take anything away from Coach Ross, as he is a great friend of mine and I have the utmost repsect for him not only as a coach but as a person as well. I just wanted to remember the coaches that came before him and IMO set the example for others to follow.

Coach Conley had some outstanding teams during the late 60's and his teams were known for their tenacious defense. The early 70's were a little down until Coach Larry Heck got the torch burning again during the mid to late 70's. These coaches, along with Coach Ross, Snyder and Vanderhoof will always be remembered for their key roles in Ram Football history.

[/b]

First I want to say welcome to BGP Mr. Wildcat. Glad to have you aboard.

Coach Ross did an outstanding job while at the helm and is the best coach to ever walk the Raceland sideline, but the Raceland Tradition was already in place. I do agree he is responsible for keeping the Orange Blood boiling but there are some other coaches who played key roles in making Ram Football what it is today. I'm not trying to take anything away from Coach Ross, as he is a great friend of mine and I have the utmost repsect for him not only as a coach but as a person as well. I just wanted to remember the coaches that came before him and IMO set the example for others to follow.

Coach Conley had some outstanding teams during the late 60's and his teams were known for their tenacious defense. The early 70's were a little down until Coach Larry Heck got the torch burning again during the mid to late 70's. These coaches, along with Coach Ross, Snyder and Vanderhoof will always be remembered for their key roles in Ram Football history.

I have been away from most of the forums for a while and just saw this thread.

Cvillecat, you had already posted what I was going to about this. I have GREAT respect for Coach Ross as well as I do his entire family. They are good people.

I also agree that the Raceland Football Tradition was already here, a ot of the ones that posted that Ross buit the traditionj are probably yunger than us "old fart Rams" (lol). Bill Tom just contunued the Raceland Tradition and Legacy and he imo did take it to new heights. Coach Larry Heck (came to Raceland in the early 70's) imo deserves as much if not more credit than anyone. Both Heck and Ross were "old school" football coaches.

I will be interested in seeing how RH football progresses. RH fans, you certainly have the right man. I believe that it was Ram that mentioned earlier to let him (B.T.R.) have complete control on how the program is ran, the man is a "Football Encyclopedia". Ross is also a master motivator, he can motivate kids to play like no other than I have seen. As others have said, he will make football fun but don't think for one second that it is going to be "country club" practices or treatment. He will be tough when he needs to be but he also knows how and when to be understanding.

I guess that I am just backing up what others have said. Trust this man to competely run your football program, as for all of the in the stands or "workplace watercooler" coaches my advice is to Support your team, let your players play and let Bill Tom Ross coach.;)

I hear a quote from former Houston Oiler coach Bum Phillips one time when ask about Bear Bryant when I sum up my opinion oc coach B.T.Ross...."he can take his and beat yours or.....he can take yours and beat his" along with "he may not be in a class by himself but it sure as heck don't take long to cal the roll".