Is Brandon Webb the best pitcher in MLB?

I'm obviously very biased, but he would be my top choice. I wish I could find the thread from him and Dontrelle Willis's rookie season where I was about the only one that predicted that Webb would end up being the better pitcher of the two.

He's in the discussion. I'm not sure there is a guy who has separated himself as the clear cut best pitcher in MLB. Webb is as good a choice as any, IMO. He's having a great season this year and he hasn't had a bad season in his career. Even his second season in 2004 when he was 7-16, his ERA was 3.59 and he got stuck with a career high 28 unearned runs. He was much better than his record showed.

There are others who could be chosen as well, IMO...

Josh Beckett - His regular season stats aren't quite as good, but there isn't a better, more proven big game pitcher in baseball, IMO. He'd definitely be my first pick for a big playoff game.

Roy Halladay - Very underrated, IMO, because he plays in Toronto. He's always good.

C.C. Sabathia - He wouldn't be my top pick, but he has been pretty good and consistent through the years. Got off to a bad start this year, but he seems to have turned it around.

Johan Santana - Was clearly the best a couple years ago, but he has slipped a bit. He's not as dominating as he was before, but he's still a great pitcher. He's still a good pick as the best, IMO.

Tim Hudson - He's been consistently good for a while now.

John Smoltz - Smolts is a great, dominating pitcher when he's healthy. He'd probably be my second pick for a playoff game.

Jake Peavy - Peavy would be high on my list...he's been very good for several years now as well.

Carlos Zambrano and Roy Oswalt could be mentioned.

And, finally, is it safe to say that Cliff Lee has been the best in 2008? :lol:

As good as Brandon Webb has pitched this year, we also have to remember he is 9-0 because he has gotten run support in every start. He has a 2.56 ERA which is at the bottom of the top 5 right now.

I'd say the two best pitchers in the league RIGHT NOW are Edinson Volquez and Tim Lincecum. While they are young, they have pitched the best so far.

Volquez is #1 in ERA at 1.12 and #2 in K's with 57. Lincecum is #2 in ERA at 1.92 and #1 in k's with 63.

As good as Brandon Webb has pitched this year, we also have to remember he is 9-0 because he has gotten run support in every start. He has a 2.56 ERA which is at the bottom of the top 5 right now.

I'd say the two best pitchers in the league RIGHT NOW are Edinson Volquez and Tim Lincecum. While they are young, they have pitched the best so far.

Volquez is #1 in ERA at 1.12 and #2 in K's with 57. Lincecum is #2 in ERA at 1.92 and #1 in k's with 63.

They may be the HOTTEST pitchers in the league right now but it takes more than 25 and 32 career starts respectively to be considered the BEST pitcher in the league. If you're going just by this season's stats then Cliff Lee is the best pitcher in the AL. While he's been unbelievably hot, he's not even the best pitcher on his team.

Over a whole years time, I would take B Webb over those two....or anyone in baseball. In his first 5 years (this being his 6th) he has posted 10, 7, 14, 16, 18 and 9 so far this year. He has had almost 1000 K's. All this on a mediocre team (besides last year.) I think he is the best pitcher in baseball.

Over a whole years time, I would take B Webb over those two....or anyone in baseball. In his first 5 years (this being his 6th) he has posted 10, 7, 14, 16, 18 and 9 so far this year. He has had almost 1000 K's. All this on a mediocre team (besides last year.) I think he is the best pitcher in baseball.

All legit points. But if we're talking RIGHT NOW I'd give the nod to those two. Over the course of a year, yes Brandon Webb is the better of the three considering he has more experience.

I'll take the guy who is 6-0 in 7 starts, 44K's vs. 4 BB's (11:1 ratio), 0.671 WHIP, and 0.67 ERA.

Volquez might be #1 in the NL, but he's not overall.