May 11, 200818 yr A whole heck of a lot can happen between now and when the majority of these recruits get to UK. I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about a HS frosh., or soph., commiting to the Cats. Hopefully, they all turn out to be as good as Coach G. expects, but it's very hit and miss when taking commits as early as he has been doing IMO. Totally agree. Don't understand why everyone is getting so excited about VERBAL commitments from an 8th grader, freshman or soph. They are only verbal and not binding. A lot can happen between now and then and most of them probably won't be at UK. BCG probably won't be either. I agree with "The Duece", UK will not be competing for a National Championship within the next 3 years.
May 11, 200818 yr Author :thumb: Didn't mean to lump you in. I love what BCG has been doing as well, and would love to see them at a Nat'l Championship in a few years. I too get just as fustrated by some UK fans as it seems you do. Some UK "crazies" or "critics" get on my last nerve and it gives all of us UK fans as unrealistic radical fanatics. I wish some people would understand that it does take time to restore a program. Some UK crazies were calling for BCG's head in midseason and I couldn't believe that some UK fans had gotten that spoiled and that braisen about UK. I just wanted you to know that I'm right there with ya bro! I feel the same way you do about UK and some of our fans. I just believe that we have the right guy for the job and that he will return us to prominence quickly. I don't mean win championship, although it may happen, I just mean having us starting to contend again. My expectations for UK and BCG are much lower than that but I just believe it won't take BCG that long to restore our great program.
May 11, 200818 yr Author The only thing I'll say on this matter is that UK will not be competing for a national championship in the next three years, and DEFINITELY not in the next two... I hold that opinion in such HIGH regards coming from a UL fan. :lol:
May 11, 200818 yr Author Totally agree. Don't understand why everyone is getting so excited about VERBAL commitments from an 8th grader, freshman or soph. They are only verbal and not binding. A lot can happen between now and then and most of them probably won't be at UK. BCG probably won't be either. I agree with "The Duece", UK will not be competing for a National Championship within the next 3 years. You don't think BCG will be here? I never said competing for a national title, I said contending. I do think Gillispie will have UK contending in 3 yrs. JMO, though. You have yours and that is mine!
May 11, 200818 yr Author The only thing I'll say on this matter is that UK will not be competing for a national championship in the next three years, and DEFINITELY not in the next two... BCG has turned his other programs around very quickly and none of those schools had half the resources and facilities to offer kids that UK posesses. He was getting big time recruits to come to his school without all the marvles of a school like UK. Now he has everything to offer a recruit that he could possibly want as far as facilities. What makes you think that he can't turn UK around quickly?
May 11, 200818 yr The only thing I'll say on this matter is that UK will not be competing for a national championship in the next three years, and DEFINITELY not in the next two... Fans of the little red hen just don't get it. Kentucky already competed for the national championship this year. 1st round exit...but they got to compete for it, where as, many D1 schools didn't. Sounds like a lot of chicken coup kackle to me.:laugh:
May 11, 200818 yr The only thing I'll say on this matter is that UK will not be competing for a national championship in the next three years, and DEFINITELY not in the next two... At least you hope not...
May 11, 200818 yr You don't think BCG will be here? I never said competing for a national title, I said contending. I do think Gillispie will have UK contending in 3 yrs. JMO, though. You have yours and that is mine! :lol: Yes you did, in your very first post... I honestly believe that we will be contending for the national championship in 3 yrs tops, maybe even 2 yrs. And as far why it won't happen in the next two years... Who does UK have coming in that will be better than Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford in the two year time frame? UK barely made the tourney last year with those two and Patrick Patterson....Not to mention you're losing another guard with significant experience in Jasper, and a body inside in Williams.
May 11, 200818 yr :lol: Yes you did, in your very first post... And as far why it won't happen in the next two years... Who does UK have coming in that will be better than Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford in the two year time frame? UK barely made the tourney last year with those two and Patrick Patterson....Not to mention you're losing another guard with significant experience in Jasper, and a body inside in Williams. They won't miss Williams one bit. He played 30 minutes in 5 games this year, and 19 of them were in the opening game against Central Arkansas. That they were desperate for a big man after the loss of Patterson and he never saw the floor spoke volumes. The rest of the post is dead on.
May 11, 200818 yr Comments like this, if you believe them, are what comprises the outrageous expectations that UK fans are becoming known for. We are on the way up, but 2 or 3 years is probably pushing it. Let's hope for an SEC title in that time frame. I believe sometimes we forget how hard winning a Nat'l Championship is. Furthermore, let's look at the last few teams that have won it- Kansas, Florida, UNC. What do they all have in common? A core of players that are deep and have played together for at least a year (KU- Robinson, Chalmers, Rush, Arthur; UF- Brewer, Horford, Noah, Humphrey; UNC- McCants, May, Felton). This game has become about recruiting and the ability to keep your players. Right now, in terms of players of the caliber of the aforementioned players, we have Patterson and Meeks (and who knows with his injuries). We don't have the core to make a run, and most of BCG's big recruits aren't coming in this year's class, and who knows how long Patterson and Meeks will stay. Sorry to be a downer in this thread, and I love UK and BCG as much as the next guy, but like mentioned earlier, we have to give him time before we begin with these outrageous claims. Excellent post. :thumb:
May 11, 200818 yr :lol: Yes you did, in your very first post... And as far why it won't happen in the next two years... Who does UK have coming in that will be better than Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford in the two year time frame? UK barely made the tourney last year with those two and Patrick Patterson....Not to mention you're losing another guard with significant experience in Jasper, and a body inside in Williams. Uhhh.. you said he said "competing" he says he said "contending" and your proof is quoting his post where he said "contending"? I'm confused. And as has already been said, you really think Williams will be missed? Jasper, Joe, and Ramel obviously, but Mike? not so much. As for who is coming in, you have to consider Meeks an addition over last year, and he absolutely has the potential to fill Joe or Ramel's role. Two years from now, Liggins could also have stepped up to that level. Miller also has the potential to be a stud in a year or two. Then for '09 you've got Hood coming in. What about this lineup for 2009-10 (class, rating out of HS): Starting: Liggins (So) ***** Meeks (Sr) **** Miller (So) **** Stevenson (Sr) **** Patterson (Jr) ***** Backups: PG: Galloway (Sr) ****, Villarino (Fr) *** Wing: Harris (Sr) *, Hood (Fr) ****, Porter (Sr) ** PF: Stewart (Jr) ***, Coury (Sr) C: Harrellson (Jr) *, Carter (RS Sr.) ****
May 11, 200818 yr Uhhh.. you said he said "competing" he says he said "contending" and your proof is quoting his post where he said "contending"? I'm confused. And as has already been said, you really think Williams will be missed? Jasper, Joe, and Ramel obviously, but Mike? not so much. As for who is coming in, you have to consider Meeks an addition over last year, and he absolutely has the potential to fill Joe or Ramel's role. Two years from now, Liggins could also have stepped up to that level. Miller also has the potential to be a stud in a year or two. Then for '09 you've got Hood coming in. What about this lineup for 2009-10 (class, rating out of HS): Starting: Liggins (So) ***** Meeks (Sr) **** Miller (So) **** Stevenson (Sr) **** Patterson (Jr) ***** Backups: PG: Galloway (Sr) ****, Villarino (Fr) *** Wing: Harris (Sr) *, Hood (Fr) ****, Porter (Sr) ** PF: Stewart (Jr) ***, Coury (Sr) C: Harrellson (Jr) *, Carter (RS Sr.) **** You are being very picky....98% of the time, everyone on here would agree that when one person said "competing" and another said "contending" for a national championship, they meant the same thing...It's semantics. As far as Williams go, I merely meant that he would be missed as a practice body. It's quite obvious he wasn't going to play, but having an extra person with that kind of size in practice would help the team, even if a little bit. And do you think your 09-10 Line-up is better than Bradley, Meeks, Crawford, Harris and Patterson??
May 11, 200818 yr You are being very picky....98% of the time, everyone on here would agree that when one person said "competing" and another said "contending" for a national championship, they meant the same thing...It's semantics. As far as Williams go, I merely meant that he would be missed as a practice body. It's quite obvious he wasn't going to play, but having an extra person with that kind of size in practice would help the team, even if a little bit. And do you think your 09-10 Line-up is better than Bradley, Meeks, Crawford, Harris and Patterson?? As to point #1, you were arguing it, not me. He said "contending." I agree they're very similar terms. Harrellson is coming in this year, and should more than make up for William's departure. Also, your lineup never really happened. Joe and Ramel both missed a game due to injury, PP missed 6, Harris missed 4, and Meeks missed 20 (and was far from 100% in most that he did play). And even if that was the lineup, I'd say 09-10 could easily be as good or better. Meeks as a senior and Patterson as a junior? They could be dominate. You also have to admit that this years team improved greatly as the season progressed. They will only get better with more time in BCG's system.
May 11, 200818 yr As to point #1, you were arguing it, not me. He said "contending." I agree they're very similar terms. Harrellson is coming in this year, and should more than make up for William's departure. Also, your lineup never really happened. Joe and Ramel both missed a game due to injury, PP missed 6, Harris missed 4, and Meeks missed 20 (and was far from 100% in most that he did play). And even if that was the lineup, I'd say 09-10 could easily be as good or better. Meeks as a senior and Patterson as a junior? They could be dominate. You also have to admit that this years team improved greatly as the season progressed. They will only get better with more time in BCG's system. While "my" line-up may have never actually happened, the opportunity for it to happen was there. Your 09-10 line-up may not happen either. I do agree that the team slowly got better over the season, but what you have to remember, they've now lost 2/3 of their offensive production. While not at all impossible to be replaced, I just find it hard to be certain that that level of leadership and point production can be replaced in two seasons.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.