May 10, 200818 yr Is there anyone out there who questions BCG anymore? He's been just completely racking up the recruits lately and I for 1 am so glad we have him here at UK. I honestly believe that we will be contending for the national championship in 3 yrs tops, maybe even 2 yrs. I think even the Tubby fans would have to admit that Tubby in 10 yrs never recruited like BCG has in 1 yr. Congrats to BCG!! I hope the press conference tomorrow morning announces that you have sign your contract.
May 10, 200818 yr I never questioned him as a coach. I do remember the thread "be careful what you wish for". I think UK will be fine and BCG will be here for a while.
May 10, 200818 yr Time is all he needed. He was not going to come in and get to the sweet 16, plus all the injuries he had, he was lucky to make it to the NCAA. It shows how good of a coach he is and the past month shows how good a recruiter he is.
May 10, 200818 yr Author Time is all he needed. He was not going to come in and get to the sweet 16, plus all the injuries he had, he was lucky to make it to the NCAA. It shows how good of a coach he is and the past month shows how good a recruiter he is. Great post!! My thought exactly! Some UK "crazies" were calling for his job after our bad start and for him to come back and win COY in the SEC says a ton about him as a coach.
May 10, 200818 yr I never questioned him as a coach. I do remember the thread "be careful what you wish for". I think UK will be fine and BCG will be here for a while. He hasn't erased my thoughts yet but he is working on it.
May 10, 200818 yr Tubby did have a great class with Rondo, Crawford, Morris and Bradley a couple of years ago. But, I will say Gillespie is out working the past UK coaches as far as recruiting by a long shot. You can tell Gillespie is not content with a 20 win season and decent showing in SEC and NCAA tournaments. Keep up the hard work coach!!!
May 10, 200818 yr I honestly believe that we will be contending for the national championship in 3 yrs tops, maybe even 2 yrs. Comments like this, if you believe them, are what comprises the outrageous expectations that UK fans are becoming known for. We are on the way up, but 2 or 3 years is probably pushing it. Let's hope for an SEC title in that time frame. I believe sometimes we forget how hard winning a Nat'l Championship is. Furthermore, let's look at the last few teams that have won it- Kansas, Florida, UNC. What do they all have in common? A core of players that are deep and have played together for at least a year (KU- Robinson, Chalmers, Rush, Arthur; UF- Brewer, Horford, Noah, Humphrey; UNC- McCants, May, Felton). This game has become about recruiting and the ability to keep your players. Right now, in terms of players of the caliber of the aforementioned players, we have Patterson and Meeks (and who knows with his injuries). We don't have the core to make a run, and most of BCG's big recruits aren't coming in this year's class, and who knows how long Patterson and Meeks will stay. Sorry to be a downer in this thread, and I love UK and BCG as much as the next guy, but like mentioned earlier, we have to give him time before we begin with these outrageous claims.
May 10, 200818 yr I know BCG is an excellent recruiter and I think he's a good coach. I would loved to see what he could of done with Crawford and Ramal in 4years. But we should not being saying were going to win the title, when our coach hasen't made it past the sweet 16 yet.
May 10, 200818 yr A whole heck of a lot can happen between now and when the majority of these recruits get to UK. I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about a HS frosh., or soph., commiting to the Cats. Hopefully, they all turn out to be as good as Coach G. expects, but it's very hit and miss when taking commits as early as he has been doing IMO.
May 10, 200818 yr Tubby did have a great class with Rondo, Crawford, Morris and Bradley a couple of years ago. But, I will say Gillespie is out working the past UK coaches as far as recruiting by a long shot. You can tell Gillespie is not content with a 20 win season and decent showing in SEC and NCAA tournaments. Keep up the hard work coach!!! I assume you mean 18, or are you speaking of BCG's time at Texas A&M? My guess is we will be waiting at least another season for a 20 win season. Maybe 2 more if PP leaves after next season.
May 10, 200818 yr Author Comments like this, if you believe them, are what comprises the outrageous expectations that UK fans are becoming known for. We are on the way up, but 2 or 3 years is probably pushing it. Let's hope for an SEC title in that time frame. I believe sometimes we forget how hard winning a Nat'l Championship is. Furthermore, let's look at the last few teams that have won it- Kansas, Florida, UNC. What do they all have in common? A core of players that are deep and have played together for at least a year (KU- Robinson, Chalmers, Rush, Arthur; UF- Brewer, Horford, Noah, Humphrey; UNC- McCants, May, Felton). This game has become about recruiting and the ability to keep your players. Right now, in terms of players of the caliber of the aforementioned players, we have Patterson and Meeks (and who knows with his injuries). We don't have the core to make a run, and most of BCG's big recruits aren't coming in this year's class, and who knows how long Patterson and Meeks will stay. Sorry to be a downer in this thread, and I love UK and BCG as much as the next guy, but like mentioned earlier, we have to give him time before we begin with these outrageous claims. You obviously haven't read any of my post if you put me into the same boat as the UK "crazies" as I call them. That comment had nothing to do with expectations. I don't expect UK to be at that point in 3 yrs but I believe they will be there. That is 2 totally different things. I don't think national championships are neseccarily won by senoir lead teams anymore. A school can get a great recruiting class and can contend that year, as did Ohio State and Syracuse and UNC won after Roy Williams had been there only a few years. So, it can be done in that amount of time and I believe that BCG will have us at that point by then. I do not expect him to and I won't be calling for his head if we are not contending by then but I do believe it. To believe something and to expect something is totally different. If you ever read any of my post then you will know that I'm not "that guy".
May 10, 200818 yr Author A whole heck of a lot can happen between now and when the majority of these recruits get to UK. I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about a HS frosh., or soph., commiting to the Cats. Hopefully, they all turn out to be as good as Coach G. expects, but it's very hit and miss when taking commits as early as he has been doing IMO. I know alot can happen but it's better than not having a commitment. At least he have a jump on all the other big schools and that's why I'm stoked about them all, even the 8th grader.
May 11, 200818 yr You obviously haven't read any of my post if you put me into the same boat as the UK "crazies" as I call them. That comment had nothing to do with expectations. I don't expect UK to be at that point in 3 yrs but I believe they will be there. That is 2 totally different things. I don't think national championships are neseccarily won by senoir lead teams anymore. A school can get a great recruiting class and can contend that year, as did Ohio State and Syracuse and UNC won after Roy Williams had been there only a few years. So, it can be done in that amount of time and I believe that BCG will have us at that point by then. I do not expect him to and I won't be calling for his head if we are not contending by then but I do believe it. To believe something and to expect something is totally different. If you ever read any of my post then you will know that I'm not "that guy". :thumb: Didn't mean to lump you in. I love what BCG has been doing as well, and would love to see them at a Nat'l Championship in a few years.
May 11, 200818 yr The only thing I'll say on this matter is that UK will not be competing for a national championship in the next three years, and DEFINITELY not in the next two...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.