10th Region Format - Idea for the Future

Hate the idea of first round games being played at 4 seperate locations. As a basketball fan I like to watch all the games. Leave the format as is. I personally don't care if its at Mason, Montgomery, or BOKC. Just leave the format alone. Chief please stick to football. :)

It appears that the only region playing first round games at district winners this season is the 3rd Region. They've done it for a few years now. It would be interesting to hear some opinions from there. It is interesting, however, that some regions have done this in the past but have reverted to a single-site tournament. That might tell us all we need to know.

There are some good things here, but I'm not in favor of first round games at the site of the district winner.

I had never thought of it this way until talking with a coach as a small school in the 10th a few years back, but for a lot of these schools their realistic goal (especially around here in the 39th) is just making it to the region. Instead of going to the Fieldhouse or the BOKC or Montgomery or whatever, you're just putting them on a bus to go somewhere and lose without ever really getting a chance to be part of the tournament.

For example this year, Bracken County made its first region tourney in 6 years. They lost, but they at least got to go be part of the tournament. I'm not in their shoes, but I have to think that's better than going to Scott, losing by 20 and watching all the district winners go to the Fieldhouse.

I think last year at the BOK was an exciting environment to play basketball for the kids. I think everyone would admit that there were some hitches, but when you compare 1 year of hosting to 50 what do you expect. I think what we have seen in the last two years is that people are understanding that what you have gotten used too is not the way it has to always be.

It was my understanding that part of the format issues last year had to do with the fact that the ninth had already schedule boys and girls before the 10th got involved. Even with that I thought the all day Saturday format worked well for a great day of basketball. As for the Monday Tuesday format on the finals, CC reported that the attendance coupled with playing a boy double header finals certainly did not hurt attendance of money. It was a great double header for $8. You could do that at the fieldhouse or Mont as well.

Here is a good example for not letting District winners host. Let's say for sake of arguement that St. Pat, Augusta, or Brossart (Obviously this is more realistic than the other two) were District Champs. How would you like being a district runner-up playing your first round in one of those gyms. Could you hear the up roar of the 10th region faithful?

• 8 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 3/7/2008 at 1:58 PM, ChiefSmoke said:

This is nothing official. Just something a couple football coaches came up with in the football office a couple years ago. Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Monday- Girls 1st Round- hosted by district champions

Tuesday- Boys 1st Round- hosted by district champions

Wednesday- Girls Semifinals at one site

Thursday- Boys Semifinals at one site

Friday- Girls Championship at the same site as Wednesday

Saturday- Boys Championship at same site as Thursday

Have a big snow and look what happens................. the football coaches wanting to run the region tournament! :laugh:

I will get back to my football video and leave this alone. :thumb:

What is better.... this format?

Or, Semifinals on Monday night, followed by Finals on Tuesday night, and all of the travel that goes with it?

16 years later... I still like this plan. 

• Like 1

Having first round Region Tournament games at the district winner is an awful idea in my opinion.  People like the region tournament atmosphere.  Having four games at the same time at four different paces is not fair to the fans or media who otherwise would cover all four first round games.  They talked about this a few years back at the AD meeting and it was voted to keep it as is. 

• Like 2

Guys- Sorry ... I can't let this go. One of my issues... which I got a bunch. Lol

What about this.... 

Play Monday 1st round, one site.....Tuesday, the other site. 

4:00

5:30

7:00

8:30

Take a half day if absolutely necessary.  Build it into the school calendar as a PD Day that the teachers can pick a training that fits their role in the school the best. 

Went to Sayre as a young teacher (Paris HS) one Saturday for a History Symposium. Excellent content and a great day to grow as a teacher.  The professionalism around the event was exceptional. Probably best PD I ever attended. 

Most of the PDs I attended that were for the entire faculty...tough for a presenter to provide that type of training across all content areas.... unless it is Billy Goldsmith and he is getting the staff fired up for the start of a new school year!

Also, shout out to my AD, Jesse Currens, at Anderson County HS. The Mason County folks knew how to run a region tournament. Excellent. Fred Hester could run the 10th region tournament in his sleep.  Jesse is right there with him w/ the job he is doing with the Girls 8th region. I know he has a good staff around him, just like Coach Hester did back in the day. And, the Mason County admin still does a great job. 

It is fun to watch people who are really good at what they do. Jesse Currens has got a lot of Fred Hester in him... and that is a good thing. 

52 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Also, shout out to my AD, Jesse Currens, at Anderson County HS. The Mason County folks knew how to run a region tournament. Excellent. Fred Hester could run the 10th region tournament in his sleep.  Jesse is right there with him w/ the job he is doing with the Girls 8th region. I know he has a good staff around him, just like Coach Hester did back in the day. And, the Mason County admin still does a great job. 

It is fun to watch people who are really good at what they do. Jesse Currens has got a lot of Fred Hester in him... and that is a good thing. 

Agree on Mr. Hester.  

The concept; I’ll take a hard pass.  It’s tough for a diehard tourney fan to get to even two of the first four games when they are almost always (just telling it like it is) going to be in Alexandria/Taylor Mill, Cynthiana, Maysville and Winchester under this proposal.   Not to mention the absence of a true 10th region atmosphere. 

And man, this is ancient history. Wasn’t my avatar an occasional babysitter for you at the time?  Geez, when I typed “Taylor” this time around autofill gave me “Swift”.    

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mcpapa said:

Agree on Mr. Hester.  

The concept; I’ll take a hard pass.  It’s hard for a diehard tourney fan to get to even two games when they’re almost always (just telling it like it is) going to be in Alexandria/Taylor Mill, Cynthiana, Maysville and Winchester.   Not to mention the absence of a true 19th region atmosphere. 

And man, this is ancient history. Wasn’t my avatar an occasional babysitter for you at the time?  Geez, when I typed “Taylor” this time around autofill gave me “Swift”.    

She sure was and was an excellent baby sitter. Sure do miss you guys. Talked to Coach Thomas & Seth Faulkner recently. Shannon Roberts was here in Lawrenceburg a few weeks ago. Wonderful people and a great community we will always love. 

Tell Elizabeth hello for us. 

Back on topic.... someday I'm gonna put out a plan you will like. Lol

In the early 90's, I remember watching Paris play during the day at the Fieldhouse, in the 10th region tournament. Do you remember that and why that happened?  Had there been snow, or was that a plan from the beginning?

We can do this!

• Like 1