Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Clark Stepp

Featured Replies

JBS was very good the last 2 years. It was not just Clark Stepp, but they had several other good players (younger Stepp, Cox). Sometimes, your bad night just happens to be at tournament time. I wish they could have made it back.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ervin Stepp was Mr. Basketball in 1980; he averaged over 50 PPG his junior and senior years in high school. He went to EKU where his brother Jimmy Stepp was already a starting guard - between the two of them, I think everyone would agree that Jimmy was the more talented player. I think he lasted 1-2 years at Eastern and then transferred to Alice Lloyd, I think. I was told that Jimmy Stepp is Clark's father, and I also was told that there was another Stepp playing at June Buchanon - anybody got confirmation of that?

 

He might have won Mr. Basketball in 1980, but he was not the best player in the state. The best player in KY in 1980 was Dicky Beal of Covington Holmes...who finished runner-up to Stepp.

 

Beal went on to have a fine career at UK(led UK to the Final Four), while Stepp did absolutely nothing at EKU.

Ervin Stepp was Mr. Basketball in 1980; he averaged over 50 PPG his junior and senior years in high school. He went to EKU where his brother Jimmy Stepp was already a starting guard - between the two of them, I think everyone would agree that Jimmy was the more talented player. I think he lasted 1-2 years at Eastern and then transferred to Alice Lloyd, I think. I was told that Jimmy Stepp is Clark's father, and I also was told that there was another Stepp playing at June Buchanon - anybody got confirmation of that?

 

 

Jimmy is Clark's uncle. Joe, the president of ALC is Clark's father. Joe played at Ohio State but later transferred. From what I have been told through out the years is that all of the Stepp's eventually ended up at either ALC or a smaller D I type school.

He might have won Mr. Basketball in 1980, but he was not the best player in the state. The best player in KY in 1980 was Dicky Beal of Covington Holmes...who finished runner-up to Stepp.

 

Beal went on to have a fine career at UK(led UK to the Final Four), while Stepp did absolutely nothing at EKU.

 

I think there were actually a few other guys in the state that I thought were more deserving for Mr. Basketball than Stepp in 1980, but you're correct about Dicky Beal. I think it was Al Miller from Ballard and Higgs from Owensboro that I thought were worthy candidates.

 

I still haven't seen the story about Clark Stepp that started this thread, but the subject matter is ironic because I remember reading about Ervin Stepp back in 1979-80, the "kid from the mountains that was averaging over 50 points a game" but the article went on to say that he was also averaging like 8 assists, he was a good defensive player, yada, yada, yada. I thought at the time either he was unbelievable or someone was padding some statistics.

Jimmy is Clark's uncle. Joe, the president of ALC is Clark's father. Joe played at Ohio State but later transferred. From what I have been told through out the years is that all of the Stepp's eventually ended up at either ALC or a smaller D I type school.

 

Joe Stepp was also on the Morehead team in 74-75. :thumb:

I saw Ervin Stepp play several games in high school. He was in range when he got off the bus and wasn't one bit shy about lettin' it fly. I would say probably 50% of his points came from 20+ feet so if the three point line had been in place in those days who knows what his numbers would have been!!!:eek::scared:

I agree with this the start of this thread. Clark only played the system he was put into. The coaches put this into his head early when he was in grade school. This team had talent all around on this team. The only problem I saw was the coaching staff. You give this team to a coach like Al Holland and watch out.

I agree. There are five or six coaches in th 14th that would coast to Rupp with the talent at JBS. Mr. Stepp is a fine young man but is not a D-1 player. He was under a lot of pressure and handled it like a kid that he is. That is not a slam it is just facts. Good player, great team, high expectations and no results this year.

He might have won Mr. Basketball in 1980, but he was not the best player in the state. The best player in KY in 1980 was Dicky Beal of Covington Holmes...who finished runner-up to Stepp.

 

Beal went on to have a fine career at UK(led UK to the Final Four), while Stepp did absolutely nothing at EKU.

 

This comment is largely true, a bit harsh, but true.

 

Make no mistake about it, Ervin Stepp could shoot the lights outs, and he wasn't shy about doing it.

 

But, if you can back it up so be it. Had he played in Central KY he would not have scored that much. He was a step slow and about 6'2".

He was also fed the ball, not many of the other player shot and that is why Phelps never went anywhere when he played. I was at the game one night and counted the shots he took , that night he took over 80 ( been a long time ) . So IMO if others took that many shots they might score that many also. Why would any coach want to just highlight one player, and forget about winning the game ,could it be the coach was his brother.

Clark will have a guaranteed college career at Alice Lloyd, if he so chooses.

 

Don't know if he would want to be that far away from home.:ylsuper:

:thumb:

I was reading the thread about the JBS and Letcher game, and I seen a lot of people were putting Clark Stepp under the bus.

 

Sure, maybe the staff padded his stats, and he shot the ball too much, but I'm not going to put all that on the Kid. Its all on the Coaching staff, they made Clark Stepp believe it was OK, to shoot like he did. This kid has a lot skill and is a hard worker. But the staff hurt him way more than they helped him. The staff made him believe his whole life that everything he did on the court was OK.

 

No, I'm not from JBS, I just hate what they did with this kid. I don't think Stepp is a D-1 player, but he will make a good small college player and get his school paid for.

Clark has been invited by the UK staff to attend the UK - Florida game. Not sure if a offer is pending, more likely a preferred walk on if anything......

He was also fed the ball, not many of the other player shot and that is why Phelps never went anywhere when he played. I was at the game one night and counted the shots he took , that night he took over 80 ( been a long time ) . So IMO if others took that many shots they might score that many also. Why would any coach want to just highlight one player, and forget about winning the game ,could it be the coach was his brother.

 

 

80 shots? I would highly doubt that but if you seen it you seen it!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.