February 22, 200818 yr Gametime, these losses happen 20 games ago and they are playing much better now. I say if they win 4 of 5 and one game in SEC they will make the tournament. If not we go to the NIT where they will make the NCAA happy with sell out crowd's at RUPP. JD I understand that, but they are still on the resume as losses to teams in the 100 and 200 RPI level. When it gets to splitting hairs over the last few spots, it can play a big role. They can save some face on poor 1-50 and 51-100 records over the last five games, and will go a long way in to getting them in, but the last thing you want on the resume is a L to a team over 200 no matter when the game was played. I think they would get in at 12-4 with no SECT wins, but it would be as one of the last 4 in IMO...
February 22, 200818 yr Question: Does the NCAA benefit financially from the NIT? Yes. They now own the NIT...
February 22, 200818 yr Okay, Gardner Webb is terrible but San Diego isn't as bad as people think. They aren't a great team but they are 8-2 in conference. One of those losses was to Gonzaga by five. They also have a win over #20 St. Mary's. I think it was a bad loss but people are playing it up like it was a bigger upset than it really was.
February 22, 200818 yr Okay, Gardner Webb is terrible but San Diego isn't as bad as people think. They aren't a great team but they are 8-2 in conference. One of those losses was to Gonzaga by five. They also have a win over #20 St. Mary's. I think it was a bad loss but people are playing it up like it was a bigger upset than it really was. It's a 100-200 loss on the team sheet. Still not good...
February 22, 200818 yr There's no reason to give up and say they're bound for the NIT at this point. They have a very realistic chance of finishing up strong and making the NCAA. They are 14-10 with 5 games remaining. They are better than at least 3 of those teams and closely matched up with another. They will most likely lose to UT, but that is no guaranteed loss either. If they finish even 11-5 in the SEC, they will get a first round bye and should win the first game for sure in the tourney. There is still plenty of time left. No reason to give up on them - especially since they're 8-3 in the conference.
February 22, 200818 yr If Kentucky continues to play strong toward the finish, if it's a 50/50 on NIT or NCAA, I don't see any way the NCAA doesn't take them. UK fans travel well, and hotel operators love to see blue invade their town, the same way the gate managers do at the NCAA sites after another sellout. And besides, I'm not so sure UK fans wouldn't stay away in anger from an NIT game at Rupp. Just a hunch.
February 22, 200818 yr If Kentucky continues to play strong toward the finish, if it's a 50/50 on NIT or NCAA, I don't see any way the NCAA doesn't take them. UK fans travel well, and hotel operators love to see blue invade their town, the same way the gate managers do at the NCAA sites after another sellout. Or maybe that is why a buble UK team gets the NIT instead. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=145579
February 22, 200818 yr How do you know all these things? I'm impressed! For the record, GT's nerdery knows no bounds. He'd know this stuff even if it wasn't his job, that's just his excuse for knowing it all...
February 22, 200818 yr If Kentucky continues to play strong toward the finish, if it's a 50/50 on NIT or NCAA, I don't see any way the NCAA doesn't take them. UK fans travel well, and hotel operators love to see blue invade their town, the same way the gate managers do at the NCAA sites after another sellout. And besides, I'm not so sure UK fans wouldn't stay away in anger from an NIT game at Rupp. Just a hunch. I agree. They got in the tournament in 1986 and I didn't think they would. They were 16-14, got the invite, and made it to the Sweet 16 before losing to St. John's. Everyone said the only reason they got in that year was because of their name and the way their fan's travel, and spend... an example is the 1975 Final Four in San Diego, hotel workers, restaurants, and cabs, said UK fans were the best tippers of the 4 schools that year.
February 22, 200818 yr For the record, GT's nerdery knows no bounds. He'd know this stuff even if it wasn't his job, that's just his excuse for knowing it all... Sadly, I can't argue that claim... :cry: :lol:
February 22, 200818 yr Sadly, I can't argue that claim... :cry: :lol: I'm sure you had plenty of time to soak in all that knowledge while not sleeping and listening to your crazy neighbor cry and throw things. :laugh:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.