Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Some fans.....

Featured Replies

:thumb: Good post, there is NO EXCUSE for this at a youth league game.

 

 

Or ANYWHERE else.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I want to say that I am just ranting here. This is not pointed to anyone in particular and I just want to get some things off my chest that have been bothering me lately. Ok, with that said...... I would love to know what makes people think that they can talk to officials the way that some fans do. Some people would be arrested for some of the things they say to officials. I don't understand why they think they can say some of the things being said to officials nowadays. Just because a guy/girl puts on a striped shirt and calls a game is not an invitation to verbally abuse them. Yes, I said verbally abuse!! And sometimes it is verbal abuse. Now, I'm not talking about disputing a call or even getting on an official for something. I'm talking about the fan who sits in the stands screaming the most god awlful stuff at the official during the entire game. It's like they believe it's their job to scream at the officials. I feel like some fans take the whole day's frustrations out at the officials because they know they can get away with it. I honestly believe that. Would someone talk to you like that on the street? Would you allow them to talk to you like that? I doubt it very seriously if most would allow someone to talk to them like that in their "normal" lives. I doubt someone would have the audacity to talk to someone that way because there would be consequences in the real world. Either they would be put in jail or someone would just sockem' a good one in the nose. So what makes these fans think that it's ok to talk to officials the way they do? And usually it's the person who knows the least about the rules that holler the loudest. I've seen many 60-70 yr old women leading the charge when they are absolutely clueless. It's like a recreation sport now....official bashing!!! It starts at the lowest level and never ends. I just wish people would understand that there is a HUMAN BEING behind those stripes. Just because you pay admission does not mean that you can verbally abuse the official. I think that there are many factors why we tend to see more and more of these types of fanatics but it's a shame that we've gotten to this level of unsportmanship in some fans. I just don't understand.

 

 

and absolutely classless as well.

 

I think it would be an interesting research project to do some type of psych analysis on people that yell and scream at refs.

I agree that there are bad officials....and bad coaches...and bad players....and bad FANS.

 

However, how anyone can say that it is the OFFICIAL's fault for how they treat him/her is just plain wrong. You are responsible for yourself and what you say in ALL cases. THIS is the problem with society today.

I yell at about calls sometimes, I try not to get personal with the official though. Things like "call the foul" etc. However, I saw something at a game the other day that I could not believe. A girl ran down a player and was called for the foul, it knocked the girl down pretty hard. The fans of the fouling player cheered. Why would you ever a. want to be happy someone was knocked down b. Cheer about it.

 

Evidently, they thought the other team was getting away with fouls so this is the way they showed it. I was surprised because the opposing team is usually a great team to play. I guess this was the way they showed they were unhappy with the officiating, I would much rather they yell at the official than cheer for a play where someone could potentially be hurt.

Officals should control the behavior in games but not try to determine the outcome. I have seen No perfect teams play high school basketball but when the foul total is like 8 to 1 then it is pretty obvious where the refs loyalities lie. I would hope that all anyone wants is a FAIR, consitantly called game. Too many times this year, I have seen games that were not of this sort and I think that is the reason why many fans get so upset. There are currently no standards that hold officals accountable and someone out there needs to remember that all of these kids work too hard throughout the year to have a game determined by the official.

IMO the game has become too physical. I've been to more and more games that look a lot like football instead of basketball. In each of these games the crowds got pretty ugly. It's funny to me to sit in the stands and here people scream about not calling a foul, but then when the refs do actually call fouls the way they are supposed to be called everyone screams "let 'm play". Can't have it both ways.

 

Basketball is supposed to be a balanced game. It combines physical strength & athleticism with finesse & balance. It is a thing of beauty to watch when executed to perfection. However, IMO the balanced has tipped too much to the physical side in recent years.

 

:thumb:

Officals should control the behavior in games but not try to determine the outcome. I have seen No perfect teams play high school basketball but when the foul total is like 8 to 1 then it is pretty obvious where the refs loyalities lie. I would hope that all anyone wants is a FAIR, consitantly called game. Too many times this year, I have seen games that were not of this sort and I think that is the reason why many fans get so upset. There are currently no standards that hold officals accountable and someone out there needs to remember that all of these kids work too hard throughout the year to have a game determined by the official.

 

Not necessarily....is one team more physical than the other? Why type of defense is each playing? I have been on the bad end of a 10-1 ratio and KNOWN that it was because my team was fouling.

I think it would be an interesting research project to do some type of psych analysis on people that yell and scream at refs.
I'd like to see the same profile on adults who get on BGP and put down kids playing a game for their school. :thumb:
  • Author
Officals should control the behavior in games but not try to determine the outcome. I have seen No perfect teams play high school basketball but when the foul total is like 8 to 1 then it is pretty obvious where the refs loyalities lie. I would hope that all anyone wants is a FAIR, consitantly called game. Too many times this year, I have seen games that were not of this sort and I think that is the reason why many fans get so upset. There are currently no standards that hold officals accountable and someone out there needs to remember that all of these kids work too hard throughout the year to have a game determined by the official.

 

I hear alot of fans, and coaches as well, holler about the foul count. To me, the foul count means little and just because the fouls are 8 to 1 or 10 to 3 does not mean that the official is bias at all! I'm not going to call a phantom foul just to even the count up. As an official, I call the game as I see it and I try more than anything to be consistent at both ends of the court. I think that is one of the most important qualities about being a basketball official, consistency. I would tell a coach or player that he/she will know how this game is going to be called in the first 2 mins of the game. It's up to the players and coaches to adjust to the officiating. Some officials will let them play, some will call it tight, some will call the handcheck, some will not and so on and so on. In a perfect world we would like every single official to call the exact same way every game but that's not realistic. Some coaches and players adjust and some do not and sometimes that leads to uneven foul counts. Or it could just be that one team is much more aggressive than the other or one team needs to foul to stay in the game or ect. There are many reasons for the foul count to be different other than the official is bias toward one team or the other. Fans put too much emphasis on the foul count and the first thing they think when it's different is....."we're being cheated". :rolleyes:

I hear alot of fans, and coaches as well, holler about the foul count. To me, the foul count means little and just because the fouls are 8 to 1 or 10 to 3 does not mean that the official is bias at all! I'm not going to call a phantom foul just to even the count up. As an official, I call the game as I see it and I try more than anything to be consistent at both ends of the court. I think that is one of the most important qualities about being a basketball official, consistency. I would tell a coach or player that he/she will know how this game is going to be called in the first 2 mins of the game. It's up to the players and coaches to adjust to the officiating. Some officials will let them play, some will call it tight, some will call the handcheck, some will not and so on and so on. In a perfect world we would like every single official to call the exact same way every game but that's not realistic. Some coaches and players adjust and some do not and sometimes that leads to uneven foul counts. Or it could just be that one team is much more aggressive than the other or one team needs to foul to stay in the game or ect. There are many reasons for the foul count to be different other than the official is bias toward one team or the other. Fans put too much emphasis on the foul count and the first thing they think when it's different is....."we're being cheated". :rolleyes:

 

:thumb:

Well said!!! Only thing I would add or ask is that if an official is worried about the foul count and tries to even it up by making up fouls on a team....wouldn't that be biased or cheating.:thumb:

They have the authority to toss anyone at anytime use it. I have been tossed from the stands a couple of times in noway was it right either time. But there is nothing you can do or say to change it. If they don't like the color of your shirt they can toss you and there is nothing you can do about it. So if a ref sits there and takes it and does nothing that is his fault because he has the power to do it no questions asked!!!

 

A ref doesn't want to have to do this, it is an absolute last resort.

 

And, if you have been tossed more than once in your lifetime...learn to relax a little and enjoy the game a little more.

Officals should control the behavior in games but not try to determine the outcome. I have seen No perfect teams play high school basketball but when the foul total is like 8 to 1 then it is pretty obvious where the refs loyalities lie. I would hope that all anyone wants is a FAIR, consitantly called game. Too many times this year, I have seen games that were not of this sort and I think that is the reason why many fans get so upset. There are currently no standards that hold officals accountable and someone out there needs to remember that all of these kids work too hard throughout the year to have a game determined by the official.

 

1) Yes there are standards and associations and supervisers and evaluators to whom officials are held accountable.

 

2) I would venture to say that alot of the fans who coomplain do not want a fair called game. Maybe they think they do but what they actually want is a game where majority of calls either go there way or aren`t called at all. Go to a game sometime where you have no dogs in the fight and just be aware of the comments around you. It is unbelievable what you can realize if you are just out scouting an opponent and could care less who wins.

 

3) twice this year I have heard comments such as : what about the other end ref? do you really believe that they don`t foul on that end? I looked at the scoreboard and in one instance the fouls were 3 to 3 and the other they were 5 to 5.

 

I think consistant is in the eyes of the beholder and so is fair. jmo

  • Author
1) Yes there are standards and associations and supervisers and evaluators to whom officials are held accountable.

 

2) I would venture to say that alot of the fans who coomplain do not want a fair called game. Maybe they think they do but what they actually want is a game where majority of calls either go there way or aren`t called at all. Go to a game sometime where you have no dogs in the fight and just be aware of the comments around you. It is unbelievable what you can realize if you are just out scouting an opponent and could care less who wins.

 

3) twice this year I have heard comments such as : what about the other end ref? do you really believe that they don`t foul on that end? I looked at the scoreboard and in one instance the fouls were 3 to 3 and the other they were 5 to 5.

 

I think consistant is in the eyes of the beholder and so is fair. jmo

 

 

 

:thumb:

Welcome to the board LMT. You will see there are mods everywhere, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :thumb:

 

I agree with you CatsFan. I sit front row on the visitors side at a majority of the Mason Co home games. The only thing I will say is block, travel, etc, etc. I won't ever use any bad language. Course I was tempted during the Scott Co game, but I digress. :lol:

 

The people around me that have a tendency to use language of a colorful nature, I won't mention which team, but one group of fans was using language while holding their kids.

 

I don't understand it, there are ways to voice your displeasure without resorting to such immature remarks.

 

Just curious why you sit on the visitors' side??

Officals should control the behavior in games but not try to determine the outcome. I have seen No perfect teams play high school basketball but when the foul total is like 8 to 1 then it is pretty obvious where the refs loyalities lie. I would hope that all anyone wants is a FAIR, consitantly called game. Too many times this year, I have seen games that were not of this sort and I think that is the reason why many fans get so upset. There are currently no standards that hold officals accountable and someone out there needs to remember that all of these kids work too hard throughout the year to have a game determined by the official.[/quote

 

This is exactly the mind set this thread addresses! You are way off base in thinking the foul count reflects biased officials. Read these other posts again that talk about the flow of the game. Teams that constantly attack the basket while playing a team that settles for outside jumpers will in general get fouled more.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.