Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Some fans.....

Featured Replies

First off, I want to say that I am just ranting here. This is not pointed to anyone in particular and I just want to get some things off my chest that have been bothering me lately. Ok, with that said...... I would love to know what makes people think that they can talk to officials the way that some fans do. Some people would be arrested for some of the things they say to officials. I don't understand why they think they can say some of the things being said to officials nowadays. Just because a guy/girl puts on a striped shirt and calls a game is not an invitation to verbally abuse them. Yes, I said verbally abuse!! And sometimes it is verbal abuse. Now, I'm not talking about disputing a call or even getting on an official for something. I'm talking about the fan who sits in the stands screaming the most god awlful stuff at the official during the entire game. It's like they believe it's their job to scream at the officials. I feel like some fans take the whole day's frustrations out at the officials because they know they can get away with it. I honestly believe that. Would someone talk to you like that on the street? Would you allow them to talk to you like that? I doubt it very seriously if most would allow someone to talk to them like that in their "normal" lives. I doubt someone would have the audacity to talk to someone that way because there would be consequences in the real world. Either they would be put in jail or someone would just sockem' a good one in the nose. So what makes these fans think that it's ok to talk to officials the way they do? And usually it's the person who knows the least about the rules that holler the loudest. I've seen many 60-70 yr old women leading the charge when they are absolutely clueless. It's like a recreation sport now....official bashing!!! It starts at the lowest level and never ends. I just wish people would understand that there is a HUMAN BEING behind those stripes. Just because you pay admission does not mean that you can verbally abuse the official. I think that there are many factors why we tend to see more and more of these types of fanatics but it's a shame that we've gotten to this level of unsportmanship in some fans. I just don't understand.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said.

 

I agree 100%:thumb:

Very well said. I take my kids to a lot of games and its ridiculous what some people say and do.

I agree with you 100% and I might add that I am guilty of yelling at the Official on occasion (I have never been abusive, just difference of opinion on a call) and have immediately regretted it. It is a fact that these folks do not officiate for the money, they are out there for the love of the kids and the game. I for one apologize and only wish there were some way to make up for the past but that can't happen, so I will do my best to uphold these individuals in the future. Thank you for opening this topic.

Welcome to the board LMT. You will see there are mods everywhere, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :thumb:

 

I agree with you CatsFan. I sit front row on the visitors side at a majority of the Mason Co home games. The only thing I will say is block, travel, etc, etc. I won't ever use any bad language. Course I was tempted during the Scott Co game, but I digress. :lol:

 

The people around me that have a tendency to use language of a colorful nature, I won't mention which team, but one group of fans was using language while holding their kids.

 

I don't understand it, there are ways to voice your displeasure without resorting to such immature remarks.

I think that to sit at a game with a son or daughter playing it can be very difficult to use self control but it is definitely something that is needed. It is very easy to get caught up in the action and question calls. To be abusive and yell derogatory things toward the ref though is just wrong and embarrassing. When I blurt out "he walked" or "3 seconds" I feel bad enough and that is just me still thinking I am on the bench coaching my son when I am really in the stands. My wife has to remind me of that many times.

They have the authority to toss anyone at anytime use it. I have been tossed from the stands a couple of times in noway was it right either time. But there is nothing you can do or say to change it. If they don't like the color of your shirt they can toss you and there is nothing you can do about it. So if a ref sits there and takes it and does nothing that is his fault because he has the power to do it no questions asked!!!

They have the authority to toss anyone at anytime use it. I have been tossed from the stands a couple of times in noway was it right either time. But there is nothing you can do or say to change it. If they don't like the color of your shirt they can toss you and there is nothing you can do about it. So if a ref sits there and takes it and does nothing that is his fault because he has the power to do it no questions asked!!!

 

I agree. If a fan is getting out of hand then eject them. It won't be a popular decision among the other fans from the same side but they shouldn't let a fan get out of hand. Give them the ole YOUR OUT OF HERE!

Nice posts. I'm with Homelss Camel. I sit on the visitor side at Mason Co. home games and it is appalling to hear what comes out of somes fans mouths (not one teams fan in particualr) but as a whole. I have been a ref before not at a high level of competition but at the local Tom Browning Boy's and Girl's Club, and some things that were said to me were just terrible, and I didn't have the right to toss them. I will admit that I was one to hassel and offical, but never degrade him/ her as person. Since I started to ref games, I have a new found respect for the job the people in the stripes do.

IMO the game has become too physical. I've been to more and more games that look a lot like football instead of basketball. In each of these games the crowds got pretty ugly. It's funny to me to sit in the stands and here people scream about not calling a foul, but then when the refs do actually call fouls the way they are supposed to be called everyone screams "let 'm play". Can't have it both ways.

 

Basketball is supposed to be a balanced game. It combines physical strength & athleticism with finesse & balance. It is a thing of beauty to watch when executed to perfection. However, IMO the balanced has tipped too much to the physical side in recent years.

I also agree. I have seen a lot of fans tossed out in the 12th region this year. I believe if the refs would start doing it more often the point would finally get across to the fans.

I have been to a few 3rd/4th grade games at the Dayton league, and have noticed that they have now posted a sign for all to read sayin something like......your payment of admission does not give you the right to unload on the student workers and officials. .......pretty sad when that is necessary at a youth league game

I saw a ref last night responding to a fan's comment in the stands. He watched the people in the stands more than he did the game. I have always been told that a good ref will block those comments out. I have always wondered , how does a referee know whether he can officiate or not. Whose there to tell him he can't referee. I have known former officials who now are those that assign and rate other officials who couldn't referee a lick. Again , whose out there to inform an official he just can't do the job. If people in the stands offend you as a ref , get out of it, no one is making you do it. You couldn't pay me enough to take all that verbal abuse.:dancingpa

I have been to a few 3rd/4th grade games at the Dayton league, and have noticed that they have now posted a sign for all to read sayin something like......your payment of admission does not give you the right to unload on the student workers and officials. .......pretty sad when that is necessary at a youth league game

 

:thumb: Very Sad. It happens at all games, no matter what age, gender, or importance.

That's why its so sad, because these people don't do it for the money, they do it because they love the game of basketball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.