Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Some fans.....

Featured Replies

I saw a ref last night responding to a fan's comment in the stands. He watched the people in the stands more than he did the game. I have always been told that a good ref will block those comments out. I have always wondered , how does a referee know whether he can officiate or not. Whose there to tell him he can't referee. I have known former officials who now are those that assign and rate other officials who couldn't referee a lick. Again , whose out there to inform an official he just can't do the job. If people in the stands offend you as a ref , get out of it, no one is making you do it. You couldn't pay me enough to take all that verbal abuse.:dancingpa

 

How did he officiate if he was looking into the stands. Anyway sometimes people act so stupid about calls it does get the refs attention. And sometimes it can't be avoided. I have seen games that fans go way overboard and game management does nothing. That is where the problem lies.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line: IT'S JUST A GAME, COACHED BY HUMANS, PLAYED BY HUMANS and OFFICIATED by HUMANS. Doesn't anyone get that? Sadly, no. It's a ME, ME, ME, ME generation and it stinks! There's no I in TEAM!

I agree with this statement.

Unfortunately I see these signs at many school gyms. It's a shame.

 

:thumb:

Bottom line: IT'S JUST A GAME, COACHED BY HUMANS, PLAYED BY HUMANS and OFFICIATED by HUMANS. Doesn't anyone get that? Sadly, no. It's a ME, ME, ME, ME generation and it stinks! There's no I in TEAM!

 

:thumb: Another good post.

Bottom line: IT'S JUST A GAME, COACHED BY HUMANS, PLAYED BY HUMANS and OFFICIATED by HUMANS. Doesn't anyone get that? Sadly, no. It's a ME, ME, ME, ME generation and it stinks! There's no I in TEAM!

 

But there is a ME... Just a little humor in a heated thread makes everyone smile! :)

 

 

But a very true post.

But there is a ME... Just a little humor in a heated thread makes everyone smile! :)

 

 

But a very true post.

 

But to get to me you are going the wrong direction (backwards)!!!

But to get to me you are going the wrong direction (backwards)!!!

 

I like the comeback, never heard that one before. Much props.

Just thought we all needed a good little smile in the thread after venting.

As a referee, the older I have gotten, the less abuse I take - from anyone associated with the game. Not to say that I come in with a chip on my shoulder because I generally am a even keeled person. However, I have a point in my mind that I determine when it is enough. Once I get to that level in my mind, I react by sticking players with 'tudes, and coaches that act like children and send them to their seats where they can act more responsibly. As for obnoxious fans, I don't adhere to the "I paid my money, I get to participate in the show" philosophy as many here have posted. When they get out of hand, they are gone from the gym. Period.

 

:thumb:

  • Author
How did he officiate if he was looking into the stands. Anyway sometimes people act so stupid about calls it does get the refs attention. And sometimes it can't be avoided. I have seen games that fans go way overboard and game management does nothing. That is where the problem lies.

 

Great point!! It's to difficult for the official to "catch" the ones making the really bad comments, especially in a crowded gym. They can't officiate the game will they were looking in the stands every time something bad was said. And if the officials can not stop it then game management is the next in line to "police" the really bad behavior. Until they start "policing" the bad behavior it will just continue.

  • Author
You are correct. I should have specified if they know where it is coming from. But trust me I have been on the end where I was tossed for saying" Nelson that was pitiful" from the other end of the court 20 rows up. The other I was at a 5th and 6th Grade girl's game with 2 KHSAA officials and I was on the baseline taking pictures and at the end of the first period one ref walks toward me and I say in a regular tone "They are riding them all way down the court." and got tossed. This is the truth, First words that I spoke either Game. I do have witnesses, one being the sheriff who was 5 feet from me taking pics he asked the ref why and hes repsonse was "he's got to go" sheriff tells me he didn't here me say anything but had no choice but ask me to leave...What's my recourse? But I will promise you one thing next time I am at a game with either one of these two refs I will earn my exit.

 

I'll agree with you there. I believe it's ok for a fan to disagree with a call and if that's all you said then in no way do I feel you should have been ejected for that. I think that some officials take less and less the lower the level. The lower the level of basketball they officiate, the less they take from coaches and fans. I also agree with that if an officials knows where the abuse is coming from and fails to do anything about it then he/she shouldn't complain about it. They do have the authority to eject them and should if it gets bad enough. Good point!

  • Author
When a fan or situation gets to the point where the official needs to have them removed for abusive behavior...it has already imo been allowed by administration to go on way too long. I saw a game this season where fans were escorted out by athletic directors and officers. I spoke with the officials after the game and they never knew anything had happened. This is what administration does when they take it seriously. Officials are there to officiate the game...not to be cussed at and not to be personally abused. I'm not talking about 3 seonds, foul, get 'em off, let 'em play. I`m talking about language that would not be tolerated in a classroom situation. If we continue to run them off...then in the words of one former official...we would then have "recess."

 

A Great Post!!! Kudos!!!:ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper:

You are correct. I should have specified if they know where it is coming from. But trust me I have been on the end where I was tossed for saying" Nelson that was pitiful" from the other end of the court 20 rows up. The other I was at a 5th and 6th Grade girl's game with 2 KHSAA officials and I was on the baseline taking pictures and at the end of the first period one ref walks toward me and I say in a regular tone "They are riding them all way down the court." and got tossed. This is the truth, First words that I spoke either Game. I do have witnesses, one being the sheriff who was 5 feet from me taking pics he asked the ref why and hes repsonse was "he's got to go" sheriff tells me he didn't here me say anything but had no choice but ask me to leave...What's my recourse? But I will promise you one thing next time I am at a game with either one of these two refs I will earn my exit.

 

This is the point I think, its not always what you say but how you say it. If you wouldn't have used his name, and I agree he is bad and a hot head, he probably wouldn't have sent you packing. If you know him by name then you know what he would do and he has his head in the stands more than any of them. By the way I'm on your side, just understand that there are some refs that are looking for someone to throw out. As for the last comment about earning your exit, don't do it and don't look for the chance to do it...this is the point about this post, it may have not been the best reason for asking you to leave but he did. Next time just take your pictures and BS with the guy during a time out, his wife might have left him that day and he was in a bad mood. Give the Z's a break and I promise that most of them are good guys....OK a few are good guys...lol:D

First off, I will tell you there have been times that I have truly regretted my words shortly after I said them; though this has most likely been less than a handful of times in my life. I admit, sometimes I get rather loud at games to voice my opinion on calls, but to an extent I think that not only does a fan have a right to do so, but almost an obligation. Think about it, what would the game be like if no one ever said "boo?"

 

I do admit also, that I hold higher level officials to higher standards. To me, a varsity official should be able to make a high percentage of the calls correct. I agree that youth league heckling has gotten out of control.

 

I have told people on multiple occasions when they have questioned my yelling, I believe in my knowledge of the game and rules, and I don't get very loud unless I am confident in what I am saying. I am not one of those fans that yells at every call, and I get annoyed by the people that yell for calls when they don't really have the slightest as to what the rule is. Actually people that have been with me at games will tell you that sometimes I start to yell and then make a quiet comment to them "I'm pretty much begging now..." or something to that effect where I recognize that I am becoming too critical.

 

I have been a coach for a young team and that also that changes my act all together. People that know me have commented on my complete 180 from being a spectator to being a coach. Why? There are many more important things to worry about as a coach than there is watching from the bleachers.

On a side note, the kind of thing that makes me mad are things like this. I witnessed a 5th Grade Girls Game in which a girl was fouled hard, though clean, on a fast break. The girls were lining up on the lane when all of a sudden from a corner of the bleachers you hear a fan yell "GOOD JOB! She deserved it!" First of all, I was appalled, you never say something like that, and the fact that these are 10 year olds made it that much worse. The official calmly stopped the game and walked a few steps towards the group and gave them the "Thats enough," and "We don't need or deal with that here" run-down.

A huge majority of them would not ref all day for free. ;)

 

I doubt any of them send letters from attorneys looking to collect on the backside either though. :banana::banana::sssh:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.