Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UT 59 Rutgers 58 (Womens)

Featured Replies

And then went to zero after the foul. JOBBED.

 

 

Exactly, that was just a blatant case of homerism. The one thing that I can't figure out though is that they said something to the effect of the clock was wired to the ref's whistle--did anyone else hear that? If that's the case does anyone know if it has a manual override? Even so they had a chance to look at the film and should have waved it off.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly anticipated a whistle and flicked the switch off and back on.

Actually on ESPN they timed the pause and the clock was stuck on .2 seconds for 1.3 seconds.

 

Did they time it in slow motion? I haven't watched the youtube video yet, and I'm only going by what I saw during the game broadcast last night, but 1.3 seems like an aweful long time.

According to ESPN, the clock runs off the referee's whistle and the clock operator would not have been able to do what has been alleged in this thread.

According to ESPN, the clock runs off the referee's whistle and the clock operator would not have been able to do what has been alleged in this thread.

 

So you're saying the clock didn't stop? Whistle didn't blow, so what do you think happened?

You guys do realize it is an official that runs the clock right? It's not like Pat Summit's sister runs it like might happen in a high school game.

 

 

I am not familiar with how the SEC does things but here at NKU we don't use a fourth official to do the clock. It's either myself on rare occassions or one other individual who has done it for some time now who is very good. The only time I do the clock is when he can't make a women's game due to possible overtime hours at his main job.

 

 

There was a pause at .2 seconds, however, that pause was for maybe another .2 seconds. Is it even possible for someone to stop and start the clock that quickly? Maybe they have a delay built into the clock to where it occurs every game, and this is just the first time anyone has noticed it? :sssh:

 

As far as if the clock can be started and stop without .1 second going off, you have to be VERy quick in doing so. When I was at Rockcastle County, I would run the scoreboard during practices and when the girls would have a water break, I would put .1 on the clock to see how many times I could start and stop the clock before it hit 0.0. The most I ever did this was 8 times and that was after trying for a bunch of times.

So you're saying the clock didn't stop? Whistle didn't blow, so what do you think happened?

 

I am not sure how it works but ESPN said that the clock is tied into the referee's whistle and stops on the ref's whistle.

Didn't ESPN call it a 'glitch'? Pretty fortunate 'glitch' for the hometeam, huh?

 

I can think up a couple of ways, if the clock is tied to the whistle, to mess with the signal. Unplug the router, maybe? What happens to the clock if the signal is interrupted? Bet it stops.

 

If anyone can get the details on how that system is set up, I promise you I can think of more than a few ways to mess with it- my techie brother could probably think of hundreds.

Did they time it in slow motion? I haven't watched the youtube video yet, and I'm only going by what I saw during the game broadcast last night, but 1.3 seems like an aweful long time.

 

No, that would have just been useless. They showed the real time pause.

Was this game played at Duke? If not I bet the timekeeper has worked Duke games before.:thumb:

Didn't ESPN call it a 'glitch'? Pretty fortunate 'glitch' for the hometeam, huh?

 

I can think up a couple of ways, if the clock is tied to the whistle, to mess with the signal. Unplug the router, maybe? What happens to the clock if the signal is interrupted? Bet it stops.

 

If anyone can get the details on how that system is set up, I promise you I can think of more than a few ways to mess with it- my techie brother could probably think of hundreds.

 

No doubt it'd be fairly easy if it were premeditated.

 

Let say the operator did it intentionally to benefit UT.

 

1) From the scorer's table they had to see that a UT player had gotten the rebound and was being fouled.

2) Realize that the clock was going to run out.

3) In 1.3 seconds (time between the last shot and the foul) figure out a way to pause the clock and do it.

4) 1.3 seconds later, undo what you did and allow the clock to expire

5) Do this without anyone noticing you were messing around.

 

Too much grassy nole for me.

No doubt it'd be fairly easy if it were premeditated.

 

Let say the operator did it intentionally to benefit UT.

 

1) From the scorer's table they had to see that a UT player had gotten the rebound and was being fouled.

2) Realize that the clock was going to run out.

3) In 1.3 seconds (time between the last shot and the foul) figure out a way to pause the clock and do it.

4) 1.3 seconds later, undo what you did and allow the clock to expire

5) Do this without anyone noticing you were messing around.

 

Too much grassy nole for me.

We just heard from one clock operator in this thread that he plays with stopping and starting the clock in practice. I bet lots of people around a program get bored and think about a lot of stuff beforehand.

 

Besides, if you helped set up the system or operate it, you probably know its limitations (like, I dunno, if that cord gets unplugged the clock stops.) And it's not like they didn't have the whole last possession to realize that this might be a buzzer-beater situation. It doesn't have to occur to them in the last 1.3 seconds.

We just heard from one clock operator in this thread that he plays with stopping and starting the clock in practice. I bet lots of people around a program get bored and think about a lot of stuff beforehand.

 

Besides, if you helped set up the system or operate it, you probably know its limitations (like, I dunno, if that cord gets unplugged the clock stops.) And it's not like they didn't have the whole last possession to realize that this might be a buzzer-beater situation. It doesn't have to occur to them in the last 1.3 seconds.

 

To this I will add that NKU's is not set up how Tennessee's is with the clock stopping on the whistle.

 

I remember they used to have that setup for the 5/3 Bank girls basketball tournament at LexCath for a number of years when it was first being used.

 

Also if memory serves me correctly, when the scoreboard is linked up with the system in which the whistle stops it, the officials are the ones who actually start the clock with a switch located on a small black box they have attached to their belts. To add to that, I think but am not sure on this that they'd also be the ones who would stop the clock on a made basket under a minute in the game as well. The next time you watch a DI game, look for the official who is the one giving to ball to a player to inbounds the ball and you'll notice that they have one hand that looks like he/she is touching their waist...this is when their getting ready to start the clock.

So that's a wireless system, probably without much protection and certainly with few failsafes in case of malfunction. Anyone have access to one of these to play around with unplugging the router in operation or other such stunts?

Was that Don Imus at the table running the clock?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.