Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MSNBC's Chelsea comment angers Clinton

Featured Replies

SEATTLE - A distasteful comment about Chelsea Clinton by an MSNBC anchor could imperil Hillary Rodham Clinton's participation in future presidential debates on the network, a Clinton spokesman said.

 

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson on Friday excoriated MSNBC's David Shuster for suggesting the Clinton campaign had "pimped out" 27-year old Chelsea by having her place phone calls to celebrities and Democratic Party "superdelegates" on her mother's behalf.

 

Wolfson called Shuster's comment "beneath contempt" and disgusting.

 

"I, at this point, can't envision a scenario where we would continue to engage in debates on that network," he added.

 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080209/ap_on_el_pr/msnbc_clinton

  • Replies 72
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some overreaction from the Clinton camp ...

I really don't like the Clintons but I don't think it was an overreaction at all. It was a crude remark and if it were me I would be angry as well.

Still, It's poor taste in journalism. I would expect Bush's daughters to be out on the campaign trails 3 and 7 years ago campaigning for their father, don't remember if they did. But to say that a parent is "pimping" their kid isn't the most elegant way of putting things.

It was a poor choice of words but an overreaction on the Clintons' part - just another grab at some free publicity. Keith Olberman rarely goes ten minutes without saying something equally offensive, yet I do not recall him ever being suspended by MSNBC.

 

Chelsea Clinton, a 27-year old adult who has freely entered the political arena, should have demanded and received an apology from Shuster. Suspending Shuster was a ridiculous overreaction by MSNBC.

It was a poor choice of words but an overreaction on the Clintons' part - just another grab at some free publicity. Keith Olberman rarely goes ten minutes without saying something equally offensive, yet I do not recall him ever being suspended by MSNBC.

 

Chelsea Clinton, a 27-year old adult who has freely entered the political arena, should have demanded and received an apology from Shuster. Suspending Shuster was a ridiculous overreaction by MSNBC.

 

We are in complete agreement, Ace.

 

Poor choice of words

Not worthy of the reaction

Not worth a suspension

Much less than KO's comments (and I like KO).

It was a poor choice of words but an overreaction on the Clintons' part - just another grab at some free publicity. Keith Olberman rarely goes ten minutes without saying something equally offensive, yet I do not recall him ever being suspended by MSNBC.

 

Chelsea Clinton, a 27-year old adult who has freely entered the political arena, should have demanded and received an apology from Shuster. Suspending Shuster was a ridiculous overreaction by MSNBC.

:thumb:

 

I'd like to add, if you are running for President, get some thick skin.

It was a poor choice of words but an overreaction on the Clintons' part - just another grab at some free publicity. Keith Olberman rarely goes ten minutes without saying something equally offensive, yet I do not recall him ever being suspended by MSNBC.

 

Chelsea Clinton, a 27-year old adult who has freely entered the political arena, should have demanded and received an apology from Shuster. Suspending Shuster was a ridiculous overreaction by MSNBC.

So if you had a daughter you wouldn't be mad if someone basically callled her a Lady of the Night on national TV . As much as I dislike the Clintons I don't think that it was an overreaction .
So if you had a daughter you wouldn't be mad if someone basically callled her a Lady of the Night on national TV . As much as I dislike the Clintons I don't think that it was an overreaction .
The way I see it, it wasn't a slam on Chelsea for being a "Lady of the Night," it was a slam on Hillary and her camp for treating her like one.
So if you had a daughter you wouldn't be mad if someone basically callled her a Lady of the Night on national TV . As much as I dislike the Clintons I don't think that it was an overreaction .
The insult was aimed more at Hillary than Chelsea, IMO. Chelsea is a well educated 27-year old woman who deserves no better nor worse treatment than any other adult who has chosen to enter the political arena. Chelsea was owed an apology and nothing more.

 

The Clintons did a good job of sheltering Chelsea from the public while they were in the White House but she is no longer an innocent teenage school girl. If Chelsea is not ready to deal with the heat that comes from the glare of the public eye, then she needs to disengage from the political process. I despise most of MSNBC's staff, but nobody should lose his job over an isolated lapse in judgment.

The way I see it, it wasn't a slam on Chelsea for being a "Lady of the Night," it was a slam on Hillary and her camp for treating her like one.
:thumb: Exactly! The intended insult was aimed at Hillary Clinton.
The way I see it, it wasn't a slam on Chelsea for being a "Lady of the Night," it was a slam on Hillary and her camp for treating her like one.

 

Someone that campaigns for their parent is a "Lady of the Night"? Because she made phone calls asking for support for her mother? Surely I am misreading your intent.

"Pimped out" is a slang term ... it wasn't meant to imply anything untoward about Chelsea. No insult was meant toward anyone, I believe ... but the Clintons chose to take it that way.

"Pimped out" is a slang term ... it wasn't meant to imply anything untoward about Chelsea. No insult was meant toward anyone, I believe ... but the Clintons chose to take it that way.

 

Slang is permissible from news anchors?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.