Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Varsity starters playing freshman ball

Varsity Starters playing Freshman Ball 35 members have voted

  1. 1. Varsity Starters playing Freshman Ball

    • Yes they should
      48%
      17
    • No they should not
      51%
      18

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I'm pretty sure the KHSAA has a rule limiting players to how many quarters of basketball they can play in on week. At least I know they do for fotball. Therefore if he is playing JV and Varsity as well he could possibly go over the limit.
Not in KY, but there are quarter limits, in WV and OH, for the total year.

 

Here is the complete story. Deming is a small school. Which is no secret to most of you. Last night was the first freshman game they have had this year. So they have not taken a spot from anyone. They had others scheduled but were cancelled for various reasons. The "varsity starters" had the intentions to play the entire freshman schedule. There are only 5 freshman on the team the other 2 players are 8th graders. So if Deming dosen't play the two then they don't have enough for a team. Is that fair to the other? They are not breaking any rule. So why is everyone crying over this?

I remember Nicholas County back in the early 90's. There was a good ballplayer by the name of Daniel Brown who started varsity I believe Brad Allison did also. They both started varsity and only lost one game the entire season. I never heard anyone cry over that. So what gives?

Excellent insight and thanks.
  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me. I know there used to be a rule for football. I'm not sure about basketball.

 

I think we came to the conclusion in the fall, there is no rule for football. I highly doubt there is one for basketball either. There is a rule in OH for football. Well read above. KY is very permissive when it comes to varsity sports time.

I think we came to the conclusion in the fall, there is no rule for football. I highly doubt there is one for basketball either. There is a rule in OH for football.

 

 

Well I have officated in both Ky and Ohio for football in the past, so I could have them confused.

I'm pretty sure the KHSAA has a rule limiting players to how many quarters of basketball they can play in on week. At least I know they do for fotball. Therefore if he is playing JV and Varsity as well he could possibly go over the limit.

 

Wasn't aware of that rule. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

If you are a freshman why not play freshman ball!!!!!! The more experience the better no matter at what level.

 

How about thinking about the playing time he's taking away from a kid that's been playing Freshman all year. Chances are pretty good that that kid needs more experience than the Kid that's coming down to play Freshman. Those kind of moves will kill a program.

Let them play, the more they play the better they get. I was in the same situation when I was a frosh in high school, a varsity starter as a frosh and played in frosh tournaments. I can't see the big deal about those boys not playing both. They're freshmen. Also I think I read earlier this year where a certain school had a policy where they did not play freshmen on the varsity but somewhere along the course of the season they must have had a change in policy. :D:dancingpa

Here is the complete story. Deming is a small school. Which is no secret to most of you. Last night was the first freshman game they have had this year. So they have not taken a spot from anyone. They had others scheduled but were cancelled for various reasons. The "varsity starters" had the intentions to play the entire freshman schedule. There are only 5 freshman on the team the other 2 players are 8th graders. So if Deming dosen't play the two then they don't have enough for a team. Is that fair to the other? They are not breaking any rule. So why is everyone crying over this?

I remember Nicholas County back in the early 90's. There was a good ballplayer by the name of Daniel Brown who started varsity I believe Brad Allison did also. They both started varsity and only lost one freshman game the entire season. I never heard anyone cry over that. So what gives?

 

I should have read this before my earlier response. It makes perfect sense in that situation for him to play Freshman also.

If someone did it with the right intentions, then it should be fine. Too bad we don't know the coach's real reasons.

 

What could the other intentions be? To run up a score on a St. Pat freshman team? Does anyone really get all that excited about the outcome of freshman and jv games? They are for development, are they not? The program is judged by the varsity product period, so absolutely he should be allowed to play, especially in that circumstance, of preparing for the Frosh tourney. I dont think anyone at St. Pat would argue that. I could see some circumstances in larger schools where this could be problematic, but not in this one.

Billy Clyde, thanks for giving us the facts. Wow, I can't imagine why anyone would have thought this was worthy of debate had they known the situation.

People get excited over any game played on any level. (THAT IS AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PARENTS AND COACHES.)::dancingpa

Does anyone really get all that excited about the outcome of freshman and jv games?

 

Yes. The freshman and jv players, their coaches, their families, and friends.

Here is the complete story. Deming is a small school. Which is no secret to most of you. Last night was the first freshman game they have had this year. So they have not taken a spot from anyone. They had others scheduled but were cancelled for various reasons. The "varsity starters" had the intentions to play the entire freshman schedule. There are only 5 freshman on the team the other 2 players are 8th graders. So if Deming dosen't play the two then they don't have enough for a team. Is that fair to the other? They are not breaking any rule. So why is everyone crying over this?

I remember Nicholas County back in the early 90's. There was a good ballplayer by the name of Daniel Brown who started varsity I believe Brad Allison did also. They both started varsity and only lost one freshman game the entire season. I never heard anyone cry over that. So what gives?

 

 

 

 

 

O.k....I now change my stance on this. Thanks for the insight.

I'm not buying the chemistry argument. A lot of these teams have won all year without their classmate playing varsity. There will be plenty of time to develop chemistry in the offseason.

 

If anything I could see it working in the other way & creating a rift between teams. I know I wouldn't want to bust my butt all season only to have my spot & role on the team handed over to someone else.

 

What in the world are you even talking about? Do you know the kid hasnt been playing with the freshman all year? I would say if the kid is playing with the freshmen team right now, he has been playing there all year and BillyClyde's post proves my point.

If he is a freshman, I see this is as non issue. Let him play, give him more games and more experience.

If you are a freshman why not play freshman ball!!!!!! The more experience the better no matter at what level.

 

I agree with you. Why penalize an athlete because they are that talented? If the athlete wants to play, I say let them play.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.