Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Worst Coach At A Major D1 Program?

Featured Replies

He had more than 6 weeks to prepare for this season. Injuries are part of the game, and re-injuries are sometimes the result of rushing players back into action too quickly.

 

No doubt Gillespie would be winning with great talent. That is not the measuring stick for great coaching. Great coaches find a way to win with the cards they are dealt. Gillespie has been a big disappointment in that area.

 

Gillespie reminds me a bit of Jerry Tarkanian, who flamed out in a hurry after taking over the San Antonio Spurs. Tarkanian was a great recruiter but was finally exposed as a not-so-great coach who needed superior talent to compete. I hope that UK has not hired this generation's Tark.

 

Please explain his success in quickly turning around UTEP and A&M. Did both of these schools have GREAT talent when he arrived?

  • Replies 85
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had more than 6 weeks to prepare for this season. Injuries are part of the game, and re-injuries are sometimes the result of rushing players back into action too quickly.

 

No doubt Gillespie would be winning with great talent. That is not the measuring stick for great coaching. Great coaches find a way to win with the cards they are dealt. Gillespie has been a big disappointment in that area.

 

Gillespie reminds me a bit of Jerry Tarkanian, who flamed out in a hurry after taking over the San Antonio Spurs. Tarkanian was a great recruiter but was finally exposed as a not-so-great coach who needed superior talent to compete. I hope that UK has not hired this generation's Tark.

 

First, no one goes very far without talent, period. Some waste it, some do more with less, but no one can win without it.

Second, to even mention Tarkanian on this thread is beyond ridiculous. Many great college coaches have "flamed out" in the NBA. Tark spent 19 of his 31 years at UNLV and had an unbelieveable winning percentage there but also won at Long Beach and Fresno State (with some else's "cards" he was dealt).

The winningest coach of all time says it's all about recruiting, so I think I'll have to go with Pat Summit on this one.

How funny is it the front runner in this discussion was in the Final Four two years ago.

  • Author
How funny is it the front runner in this discussion was in the Final Four two years ago.

I'm sure he counts his blessings every night that a player that didn't dent the pocket books turned out to be a monster... ;)

I'm sure he counts his blessings every night that a player that didn't dent the pocket books turned out to be a monster... ;)

 

John Brady takes the cake, how much pull does that Final 4 of his give him around LSU? He is pretty bad.

 

I pointed out the same. And I asked the question of how long can he rest his assurance on that? He has been bad enough that it can't hold water.

  • Author

The AD is out after this year, and I see no way Brady keeps his job once the season ends...

In 78 posts you haven't proven much to me yet. Does that make you the worst poster on BGP??? ;) :lol:

 

I have nothing to prove to you gametime.. you have proven nothing to me in your 60,000 posts.

 

Pay me the money he gets paid and I will prove you something

He had more than 6 weeks to prepare for this season. Injuries are part of the game, and re-injuries are sometimes the result of rushing players back into action too quickly.

 

No doubt Gillespie would be winning with great talent. That is not the measuring stick for great coaching. Great coaches find a way to win with the cards they are dealt. Gillespie has been a big disappointment in that area.

 

Gillespie reminds me a bit of Jerry Tarkanian, who flamed out in a hurry after taking over the San Antonio Spurs. Tarkanian was a great recruiter but was finally exposed as a not-so-great coach who needed superior talent to compete. I hope that UK has not hired this generation's Tark.

 

NCAA coaching = apples

 

NBA coaching = grapes

  • Author
I have nothing to prove to you gametime.. you have proven nothing to me in your 60,000 posts.

 

Pay me the money he gets paid and I will prove you something

Someone lacks a sense of humor...

  • Author
No actually I have a good one!

Only when you are making the jokes I guess... :sssh:

No always.. I just didnt see where your comments were necessary... I gave my opinion just like the thread title asked!

  • Author
No always.. I just didnt see where your comments were necessary... I gave my opinion just like the thread title asked!

It was a joke relative to the time a person gets to prove themselves. Others found it quite amusing, too bad you didn't...

Simmer down now.

 

Stick to the subject of College Basketball's crappiest coaches.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.