Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tom Leach

Featured Replies

In listening to the pregame interview with BCG, it sounds like BCG had rather have root canal than do the interview. His answers, as usual, sounded sharp and short. I've always thought Leach tosses softballs to the UK coaches and fails to ask what we at home would ask sometimes, but I wonder if there is some friction between the two?

In listening to the pregame interview with BCG, it sounds like BCG had rather have root canal than do the interview. His answers, as usual, sounded sharp and short. I've always thought Leach tosses softballs to the UK coaches and fails to ask what we at home would ask sometimes, but I wonder if there is some friction between the two?

 

Hmmm - I havent noticed that at all. The interview did not seem any different than normal to me.

I don't think BCG enjoys interviews, but it's part of the job and must be done. He appears uncomfortable to me when interviewed.

Could have been right after Bradley and Crawford were late showing up.

 

Seemed uptight...post game entirely different...he isn't going to sugarcoat it.

Totally agree, I thought he seemed very short with his answers. When Leach asked if he thought that teams weren't intimidated by UK, he replies " I don't know, I can't answer that. You will have to ask their coach." While I'm paraphrasing , that was basically the brunt of the response and I just felt that he came across as a jerk. That was my first pre-game interview I have heard of Gillespie but i have heard that it is not uncommon for him to act that way. I mean he may not enjoy the interview but Tom Leach is just doing his job and BCG doesn't seem like he is interested in making in it any easier on him.

 

I'm not going to go and say I was a Tubby Lover, but I certainly wasn't a Tubby Basher. But in 10 years I can honestly say I never heard an interview as I heard today. No , Tubby never went through a 4 game losing streak, but I mean what does that say about Tubby ? Just a class act that didn't deserve the ridicule he did.

Totally agree, I thought he seemed very short with his answers. When Leach asked if he thought that teams weren't intimidated by UK, he replies " I don't know, I can't answer that. You will have to ask their coach." While I'm paraphrasing , that was basically the brunt of the response and I just felt that he came across as a jerk. That was my first pre-game interview I have heard of Gillespie but i have heard that it is not uncommon for him to act that way. I mean he may not enjoy the interview but Tom Leach is just doing his job and BCG doesn't seem like he is interested in making in it any easier on him.

 

I'm not going to go and say I was a Tubby Lover, but I certainly wasn't a Tubby Basher. But in 10 years I can honestly say I never heard an interview as I heard today. No , Tubby never went through a 4 game losing streak, but I mean what does that say about Tubby ? Just a class act that didn't deserve the ridicule he did.

 

Why does every thread about BCG have to turn into a Tubby debate?

My understanding is Billy Clyde has a poor understanding of his compensation package.

 

Of his 2+ million dollar contract, only approximately $400,000 or $500,000 is paid by the university. The other is paid by endorsement deals including a television and radio show and other mandatory personal appearances.

 

I have been told that Billy Clyde is not tickled about personal appearances or the constant interviewing the UK head coach is required to do. I wonder if he is also compensated for his post game, opposing coach handshakes. He doesn't seem too interested in showing any professionalism in this regard, either.

  • Author
Why does every thread about BCG have to turn into a Tubby debate?

It's not a Tubby debate. He's comparing BCG to previous interviews with the old coach.

I have heard from someone that works at UK that BCG really is a jerk. I don't know if that's true and I really don't care, but just passing along what a friend said.

I have heard from someone that works at UK that BCG really is a jerk. I don't know if that's true and I really don't care, but just passing along what a friend said.

It is true as per my very reliable sources.

It is true as per my very reliable sources.

 

I heard he told some janitors to "come back after the season! I don't have time for that now!!!" Of course, he didn't word it quite that nicely.

My understanding is Billy Clyde has a poor understanding of his compensation package.

 

Of his 2+ million dollar contract, only approximately $400,000 or $500,000 is paid by the university. The other is paid by endorsement deals including a television and radio show and other mandatory personal appearances.

 

I have been told that Billy Clyde is not tickled about personal appearances or the constant interviewing the UK head coach is required to do. I wonder if he is also compensated for his post game, opposing coach handshakes. He doesn't seem too interested in showing any professionalism in this regard, either.

 

I was told this weekend, that the President of the University had to have a talk with Billy G this summer about when the University has a social, the UK basketball coach WILL be in attendance.

 

Than I read this and I began to wonder.

 

Do the demands of the UK coach get so intense and so many that it interferes in his ability to do his job as UK coach to the level that needs to be done.

 

For example, which is more important for the UK coach and how his team is performing on the floor, a UK social, the constant interviews or watching tape and preparing a game plan or being on the road recruiting?

 

It seems the constant demands make the UK coach rely on their assistants so much more than most other coaches. (I would assume Duke, UCLA, UNC, etc are similar in demands.)

 

And I believe that Tubby's failure came from a lack of quality assistant coaches.

 

Could it have been that part of Tubby's problems with recruiting was simply he didn't have the time, energy to get out on the road like he needed to and the assistants level wasn't there to offset the lack of time that he could be on the road.

 

It seems that Billy G is wanting to coach and all of the other stuff is getting in the way of him being able to actually coach.

 

 

 

 

 

Or simply, he is a jerk.

I was told this weekend, that the President of the University had to have a talk with Billy G this summer about when the University has a social, the UK basketball coach WILL be in attendance.

 

Than I read this and I began to wonder.

 

Do the demands of the UK coach get so intense and so many that it interferes in his ability to do his job as UK coach to the level that needs to be done.

 

For example, which is more important for the UK coach and how his team is performing on the floor, a UK social, the constant interviews or watching tape and preparing a game plan or being on the road recruiting?

 

It seems the constant demands make the UK coach rely on their assistants so much more than most other coaches. (I would assume Duke, UCLA, UNC, etc are similar in demands.)

 

And I believe that Tubby's failure came from a lack of quality assistant coaches.

 

Could it have been that part of Tubby's problems with recruiting was simply he didn't have the time, energy to get out on the road like he needed to and the assistants level wasn't there to offset the lack of time that he could be on the road.

 

It seems that Billy G is wanting to coach and all of the other stuff is getting in the way of him being able to actually coach.

 

 

 

 

 

Or simply, he is a jerk.

 

 

 

Good post...:thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.