Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class A favorites for 2008-2009

Featured Replies

District 1-5

 

Lexington Christian (11-4, 6-0) is the favorite to repeat as district champions, after their first State Championship appearance. LCA returns most of their starters, but do lose several linemen and two receivers on offense, and several defensive starters. LCA does return their strong RB in Hayden, their starting QB, and several very capable receivers.

 

Raceland (7-5, 4-2) will give LCA strong competition for the district title. Raceland will return virtually everyone, losing only one lineman and one receiver on offense, and one lineman, one linebacker, and one corner back on defense. Raceland returns RB Denton who rushed for over a thousand yards with RB Carver who rushed for six hundred yards in a split back formation, and QB Boyles who passed for a thousand yards.

 

Fairview (6-5, 2-3) was hit hard with graduation. Fairview will also be under a new head coach, in Nathan McPeek. I look for Fairview to have some trouble this season, they may very well be the number three team in the district, but will more then likely be a distant third.

 

Nicholas County (5-6, 1-4) will be competing for the number three spot with Fairview, and may get it. Nicholas had some bright spots last season and played close to Raceland but was just a little down. Nicholas could be the surprise of this district.

 

Paris (2-8, 0-4) was thought by many to compete last year, but did have some trouble putting complete games together. Not totally surprising, most teams do have some trouble during the first year with a new head coach. I look for Paris to be improved this season and could find themselves back in the playoffs this year.

  • Replies 161
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

District 1, Mayfield and Crittenden appear to be neck and neck and with all that CC has returning, they POSSIBLY could be considered the fave

 

The Bottle Rockets have the chance to be scary good next year, Mayfield should also be improved with that young group they have comming up that has most Mayfield fans abuzz. Fulton City will have their work cut out for them to just keep up with Crittenden and Mayfield. BM and Fulton County are not likely to do much

The Bottle Rockets have the chance to be scary good next year, Mayfield should also be improved with that young group they have comming up that has most Mayfield fans abuzz. Fulton City will have their work cut out for them to just keep up with Crittenden and Mayfield. BM and Fulton County are not likely to do much

 

I guess you never can tell with CC, there are years they are expected to do really well, like this past year and they choke, and then when expectations are lowered, they do well like the 2nd half of last year, who knows, I'm looking forward to the season though:ylsuper:

The Bottle Rockets have the chance to be scary good next year, Mayfield should also be improved with that young group they have comming up that has most Mayfield fans abuzz. Fulton City will have their work cut out for them to just keep up with Crittenden and Mayfield. BM and Fulton County are not likely to do much

 

If Guhy comes through at the QB slot for Mayfield, I think they'll be hard to beat. I know he has an accurate arm, but, he'll need to get a little bigger and stronger and be able to keep the defenses honest to open up there running game with Murrell & the 2 Noonans. They should have solid receivers in Shelton and Richardson and there line should be improved. I think there defense will be fine. Look for Fulton City to still be right in the thick of things, as I'm hearing they're possibly getting some kids from S.Fulton, as there program is in dissarray right now. As OORocket said, you never know with Crittenden. I expected more from them this past year and they did improve, but, they were horrible in the 1st half of the year. I know they were young though and those kids will get stronger and I think they'll be much improved. I agree, Ballard and Fulton Co will most likely be the cellar dwellers next yr...

The o-line will not be improved because no one from the upper classes are willing to step up. When Ethan went down this year they had to put in a freshman who was way over his head. I really don't know who will replace Ethan and Scott unless it is a sophomore or a freshman. If it is a freshman then they will be in real trouble. It will also be a year where there is no Jack Morris to help out with the line. From my understanding this year was his last.

 

I think we will see Jones move to left tackle and Heathcock move to left guard. I don't know if Williams will stay at center or move to the right guard.

Think Crittenden has a chance to beat Mayfield this upcoming season?

The o-line will not be improved because no one from the upper classes are willing to step up. When Ethan went down this year they had to put in a freshman who was way over his head. I really don't know who will replace Ethan and Scott unless it is a sophomore or a freshman. If it is a freshman then they will be in real trouble. It will also be a year where there is no Jack Morris to help out with the line. From my understanding this year was his last.

 

I think we will see Jones move to left tackle and Heathcock move to left guard. I don't know if Williams will stay at center or move to the right guard.

 

Are you saying that players would not step up (meaning they would not change positions to the line) or are you saying they would not rise to the occasion?

 

Do they have Returning backs and receivers? Do they have three returning linemen? If so, surely, they can fill those two position with two decent linemen.

 

What do you expect Mayfield to do this year?

Are you saying that players would not step up (meaning they would not change positions to the line) or are you saying they would not rise to the occasion?

 

Do they have Returning backs and receivers? Do they have three returning linemen? If so, surely, they can fill those two position with two decent linemen.

 

What do you expect Mayfield to do this year?

 

 

I guess they couldn't rise to the occasion. The freshman practiced harder and he won over the coaches. They have 3 returning lineman who are very experienced. Mayfield has 3 different backs coming back who could start for any team. The oldest one will be just a junior and he started as a freshman. The receivers return also.

 

They lose their two best lineman, quarterback, one running back, both tight ends and the best blocking fullback.

 

On defense they lose 2 linebackers, 2 defensive ends, one tackle and one of the corners. Four of the top five leading tacklers on the team graduate also.

Think Crittenden has a chance to beat Mayfield this upcoming season?

 

I think that they have a better chance than they did this year only because we lose Logan at quarterback. Logan was the best leader that we have had since 2002. Our boys would have knocked down a wall if he asked them to.

 

The one thing that Mayfield has going for them is that for some reason a player who has not gotten to start before his senior year seems to step up and becomes a good solid player his senior year. It happens almost every year. It didn't happen this year because all of the seniors already were starters before this year.

 

But the most important thing that will have to happen is that Mayfield will have to get back to playing as a team or they will be in for a long year.

But the most important thing that will have to happen is that Mayfield will have to get back to playing as a team or they will be in for a long year.

 

I would be most happy if this happened, the rest will fall into place if we can fix this issue.

What do you expect Mayfield to do this year?

 

Mayfield fans expect a title run every year period, thanks to the tradition established at the school.

 

Talent wise I have been looking forward to 2008, 09 and maybe 10 for a couple of years. They have the best young talent in a long time at Mayfield. After watching the season fall into a mess late in 2007 I am no longer as excited. It seemed to be some of this highly touted young talent that was the problem. At this point and time I would tend to question whether they will escape their own district with a Crittenden Co team that played them to the wire this year and brings back nearly their entire starting roster on both sides and should be one of the best in the state. I also think it will be hard to get by a team like Beechwood that always puts team play before I.

The talent is there, the rest needs work but the Cards are fortunate in having a staff that has always been one of the best at getting it all together

District 1-5

 

Lexington Christian (11-4, 6-0) is the favorite to repeat as district champions, after their first State Championship appearance. LCA returns most of their starters, but do lose several linemen and two receivers on offense, and several defensive starters. LCA does return their strong RB in Hayden, their starting QB, and several very capable receivers.

 

Raceland (7-5, 4-2) will give LCA strong competition for the district title. Raceland will return virtually everyone, losing only one lineman and one receiver on offense, and one lineman, one linebacker, and one corner back on defense. Raceland returns RB Denton who rushed for over a thousand yards with RB Carver who rushed for six hundred yards in a split back formation, and QB Boyles who passed for a thousand yards.

 

Fairview (6-5, 2-3) was hit hard with graduation. Fairview will also be under a new head coach, in Nathan McPeek. I look for Fairview to have some trouble this season, they may very well be the number three team in the district, but will more then likely be a distant third.

 

Nicholas County (5-6, 1-4) will be competing for the number three spot with Fairview, and may get it. Nicholas had some bright spots last season and played close to Raceland but was just a little down. Nicholas could be the surprise of this district.

 

Paris (2-8, 0-4) was thought by many to compete last year, but did have some trouble putting complete games together. Not totally surprising, most teams do have some trouble during the first year with a new head coach. I look for Paris to be improved this season and could find themselves back in the playoffs this year.

 

I agree with you RAM on those picks it's LCA/RACELAND battling it out to probably see who goes to the VILLE. I like Fairview/Nicholas/Paris out of that district to battle it out though and give LCA/Raceland good games. I know Fairview lost some very good football players and will more than likely rebuild but you never know Coach McPeek will have them ready and prepared I am sure. Good luck to all teams next season.

I agree with you RAM on those picks it's LCA/RACELAND battling it out to probably see who goes to the VILLE. I like Fairview/Nicholas/Paris out of that district to battle it out though and give LCA/Raceland good games. I know Fairview lost some very good football players and will more than likely rebuild but you never know Coach McPeek will have them ready and prepared I am sure. Good luck to all teams next season.

 

I agree, I don't expect any team in this district to be a cake walk. Nicholas was decent last year-admittedly I do not know what they return and who graduated, Fairview was pretty good-but did graduate a lot but with the new coach who knows, and I expect Paris to be much better in the second year with the new head coach.

 

LCA will be the favorite and should be they return a bunch. Raceland returns a lot and hopefully will give LCA a fight.

Your right about Pikeville's schedule, they had a very strong schedule, that can do nothing but improve the team.

 

Fairview lost a lot of starters, I may be wrong but I think they will have a rebuilding year. I think they will have an up hill battle.

 

Paris had some talent, but had a first year head coach. It is normally a little difficult with a new coach. I expect them to improve this season, but I do not know how many players they lost.

 

Nicholas Co had a rough time in the district, I do not know what they have returning, and how young they were last year.

 

Nicholas lost 5 sr. 4 of them were starters. They will have a hard time in replacing the mattox kid. They have kids ready to replace the other 4. Will be very strong on the line, but need help in the backfield and at l.b. on defense. Could have the strongest line in the state with all linemen benching over 300 and deadlifting way over 500. They will lack speed and pure athletic ability but should make some noise.

District 1 should be pretty strong next year, as I think Fulton City will be solid again. They lose a couple of very talented backs but they have the core of there line returning and quite a bit on the defensive side. They always seem to have 2-3 very good athletes coming through. I'm sure they'll have a few coming up through the lower classes again. Ballard Memorial was also very young this year and should be improved in 08. Mayfield will once again be solid and Crittenden should be good. Fulton Co will likely bring up the rear in 08 as there #s have been really down and there program is barely staying afloat.

 

Yea Fulton City should be a pretty good team next year. I am taking a few kids to camps this summer and with possibely some new faces we could come close to repeating last seasons record.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.