Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class A favorites for 2008-2009

Featured Replies

Just wondering who are frontrunners for Class A next year???

 

I know Hazard returns all 11 starters on offense and 8 or 9 on defense.

 

Who else will be good??

  • Replies 161
  • Views 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will see a lot of the same. Hazard, LCA, Raceland, Frankfort, Beechwood, and Mayfield. I only added Raceland because I think who ever wins the Raceland/LCA playoff game will be in the Championship game again next year.

 

Hazard has most of their team back and will be good.

LCA has all their backs and WR back, they loose some OL/DL, will be good.

Raceland has virtually everyone back, and will be good.

Beechwood, is always good.

Mayfield will be hungry after this season and will want to right the ship.

Frankfort, I don't know what they have returning, but I think they will be in the hunt.

Mayfield will have there main skill people back and several good lineman.. I think Guhy will step right in at the QB spot and not miss a beat and Travarthen was injured a big part of the year and the others who stepped in, were actually a notch or 2 better anyway, so, he's definately replaceable. I think they'll have a hard time replacing the LBs they lose and they'll have to find some receivers to replace Shelton and Mccuistian...Overall, they should again be competitive, but, like this year, they'll still be young...I think the Cards could really be strong in 2 years and 3 years but maybe not quite so good next year, probably alot like this years team...

Just wondering who are frontrunners for Class A next year???

 

I know Hazard returns all 11 starters on offense and 8 or 9 on defense.

 

Who else will be good??

 

1. BEECHWOOD always the team to shoot for

Just curious .Of the 19 - 20 that Hazard returns ,some of those actually play both ways ,right ?What would that number actually be with those 2 way players .

 

LCA -They lose WR # 15 Gaffney and TE # 80 name ??? .Gaffney was player of the game in state championship game for LCA ,I believe .RB # 30 could of been though .LCA does return several and will be back

 

Frankfort -not sure what all they lose ,but losing the QB to Kentucky is a huge loss.That will be hard to replace .

 

Beechwood -They lose alot in Elliott,Bankemper ,Hoffman ,Davis ,Amelung ( sp ??) STATE MVP ,and a few others .But they usually just RELOAD .

Hazard players that played both ways this year were:

 

JR Campbell WR-DE

SO Fugate OL - DL

 

In the playoffs due to injury SO Martin played OL and DL and SO Moore played OL and LB

 

Look for Hazard to put some of their offensive skill players in the secondary next year so you might see 4 or 5 going both ways next year.

1. BEECHWOOD always the team to shoot for

 

I, honestly, think that the 1A field is going to be very close at the top next season. I'm not putting anyone down, conversely, I am complementing several programs. Beechwood was very good this year, Guru said in the preseason that he thought this might be the best team in Beechwood history. With Beechwood being very good they played to a three point margin of victory against LCA in the championship game.

 

LCA was very good this year, they loose a couple of starters, but return most of the starters on offense and defense. LCA only beat Raceland in the district championship game by two points, the only game that was less then 20 points for for LCA in the playoffs heading into the championship game.

 

Raceland looses five starting positions, two on offense - one OL, and one WR, three on defense - one DL, one LB, and one DB. Raceland will be strong and experienced.

 

Beechwood did not have any competition in the playoffs, winning every round by 35 points, until the championship game. But, with the losses on Beechwood's roster and Mayfield returning most of their players, the margin may be closer.

 

Other then LCA and Raceland, the only team that I see making a strong run from the east would be Hazard. Hazard returns most of their starters.

 

So, from the western bracket I see:

1. Beechwood

2. Mayfield

3. Frankfort

 

From the eastern bracket I see:

1. LCA

2. Raceland

3. Hazard

 

Over all I think is looks something like:

1. Beechwood

2. LCA

3. Raceland

4. Hazard

5. Mayfield

6. Frankfort

By the way, before people start ridiculing me, I said that LCA, Pikeville, Hazard, and Raceland was the teams to watch from the east last year. And the LCA and Raceland picks were bad mouthed, and they appeared to be the best teams in the east this past year. So, I may know something about what I am talking about.:D

 

Over all I think is looks something like:

1. Beechwood

2. LCA

3. Raceland

4. Hazard

5. Mayfield

6. Frankfort

 

If Hazard is returning that much from this year, they'll be a top 2-3 team in state...LCA did play Beechwood close in the championship game, but, imo, they played as well as they possibly could play and I don't think Beechwood played there best game...As far as Raceland playing LCA close in the playoffs, they did, but they also lost by a ton in the regular season and I'd say the difference in the 2 is somewhere in the middle. Frankfort has a good # of skill players in the lower classes coming back, but, I think this year was the year they expected to contend for a title and may be a little down compared to this year. Mayfield loses more on the defensive end, which is a little easier to replace and return the majority of there skill players. I expect them to be a little stronger next year than this year.. Here's how I see it playing out in '08:

 

1) Hazard

2) Beechwood

3) Mayfield

4) LCA

5) Frankfort

6) Raceland/Pikeville

1) Hazard

2) Beechwood

3) Mayfield

4) LCA

5) Frankfort

6) Raceland/Pikeville

 

I respect your list, the only difference in your six and my six it basically the order.

 

Hazard, I do expect to be good, but I can't put them that high. They return a lot and have experience, they could be the team to watch, but they lost to LCA and LCA is returning almost everyone.

 

Beechwood, they won the title, so I think they are number one until they are beaten, plus they have a history of being good every year.

 

Mayfield gives me pause, because I expected them to do better this year then they did.

 

LCA has all most everyone back, and should be the number one team from the east.

 

Frankfort, I admittedly do not know a lot about this up coming season, but I do now that they lost their QB who was very good.

 

Pikeville, I have heard a lot about them having trouble and that they are not going to be very good this year. Maybe someone from Pikeville can shed some light on this.

 

Raceland, lost to LCA in the regular season with there JV team playing basically. Both RB out, one OL out, two WR out, all three LB out, one DL out, and two DB out. We expected to loose by more then we did. The playoff game both teams were full strength and was an accurate reflection of both teams.

 

LCA, Raceland, and Hazard will be the teams in the East.

I respect your list, the only difference in your six and my six it basically the order.

 

Hazard, I do expect to be good, but I can't put them that high. They return a lot and have experience, they could be the team to watch, but they lost to LCA and LCA is returning almost everyone.

 

Beechwood, they won the title, so I think they are number one until they are beaten, plus they have a history of being good every year.

 

Mayfield gives me pause, because I expected them to do better this year then they did.

 

LCA has all most everyone back, and should be the number one team from the east.

 

Frankfort, I admittedly do not know a lot about this up coming season, but I do now that they lost their QB who was very good.

 

Pikeville, I have heard a lot about them having trouble and that they are not going to be very good this year. Maybe someone from Pikeville can shed some light on this.

 

Raceland, lost to LCA in the regular season with there JV team playing basically. Both RB out, one OL out, two WR out, all three LB out, one DL out, and two DB out. We expected to loose by more then we did. The playoff game both teams were full strength and was an accurate reflection of both teams.

 

LCA, Raceland, and Hazard will be the teams in the East.

 

I dont dispute the 3 teams you list from the east but Hazard actually split with LCA, went undefeated in regular season and to the semis.. They were clearly better than Raceland this year and have more coming back.. Yes, LCA beat them in the semis, but, through the season, had some less than stellar performances and just seemed to peak at the right time and they lose more than Hazard does...I think Hazard should be the favorite to come out of the east this year...LCA , a close 2nd and Raceland and Pikeville, a distant 3rd/4th ...

I agree that Beechwood, while being very good next year, will be closer to the pack than last year.

 

Don't know that they won't win it all again, but I think in the immediate future things get a little tigher in Class A. I believe Beechwood will still be a force on offense next year but maybe not as good on defense and not nearly as deep.

I dont dispute the 3 teams you list from the east but Hazard actually split with LCA, went undefeated in regular season and to the semis.. They were clearly better than Raceland this year and have more coming back.. Yes, LCA beat them in the semis, but, through the season, had some less than stellar performances and just seemed to peak at the right time and they lose more than Hazard does...I think Hazard should be the favorite to come out of the east this year...LCA , a close 2nd and Raceland and Pikeville, a distant 3rd/4th ...

 

Your right, I think we both have the right three teams. And Hazard and LCA did split games, and Raceland and LCA played well in the playoffs. That is why I had them all three back to back to back, at 2, 3, and 4 in the state after Beechwood. I don't think, at this point, there is much difference between the three.

 

However, you may be right, Hazard may be the team to beat in the east, they are returning a lot. LCA and Raceland are returning almost everyone as well. These three teams should be fun to watch this year. Should make for some fun speculation in the preseason.

I agree that Beechwood, while being very good next year, will be closer to the pack than last year.

 

Don't know that they won't win it all again, but I think in the immediate future things get a little tigher in Class A. I believe Beechwood will still be a force on offense next year but maybe not as good on defense and not nearly as deep.

 

 

Joe knows Crabs and Guru knows Tigers...What say you Ru...How do the Beechnuts look in 08?

Beechwood re-loads and they are the champs until someone knocks them out. LCA, Raceland and Hazard could give them all they can handle, though.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.