Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky...

Featured Replies

Who did UK lose to in the tourney the year that Tubby was 32-4?

 

Marquette?

 

Quick question. Do you honestly think that BCG (or any coach for that matter) is going to duplicate UK's run of the 1990's? Heck, even Pitino can't do it again.

  • Replies 101
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who did UK lose to in the tourney the year that Tubby was 32-4?

 

Was that Marquette and the Dwayne Wade team?

Marquette?

 

Quick question. Do you honestly think tha BCG (or any coach for that matter) is going to duplicate UK's run of the 1990's? Heck, even Pitino can't do it again.

 

 

I'm not concerned about a 3-year run like that (although UNC, Duke, Florida, UCLA, and a few others have no problem having runs like that). I just want a team that is once again a top-tier team. A Final Four run here and there. Nothing crazy, I just want UK back where it belongs as the most feared team in the SEC.

I'm not concerned about a 3-year run like that (although UNC, Duke, Florida, UCLA, and a few others have no problem having runs like that). I just want a team that is once again a top-tier team. A Final Four run here and there. Nothing crazy, I just want UK back where it belongs as the most feared team in the SEC.

 

Nothing wrong with that and my desire too.

 

I think people are up in fear of Florida but they just had their run. Before the back-to-back National Champions, they had lost 5 or 6 years straight in the first round of the NCAA.

If Tubby took the greatest program in history to a mid-major level, I guess UNC went to the Gardner Webb level.;):p

 

This has turned into a silly thread, but UNC was at Gardner Webb level for a while while Tubby was at UK.

 

They were 7-19 in 01-02.

This has turned into a silly thread, but UNC was at Gardner Webb level for a while while Tubby was at UK.

 

They were 7-19 in 01-02.

 

Would you agree that Tubby NEVER came to close to that level?

Would you agree that Tubby NEVER came to close to that level?

 

Absolutely. I don't think any rational person thinks Tubby was a BAD coach. He was obviously a very good one. But very good simply isn't enough at UK.

 

We also have to remember Tubby was NOT fired. He could've come back. Especially if he had gotten a new assistant or two (which he obviously knew he needed since he got new ones at Minnesota). Say what you want about crazy fans (and they are), but you lose a lot of room to complain when you're being paid like he was.

To people that say give BCG time:

 

How much time do we give him?

 

I will support whoever is the UK coach always, but I have to ask. In today's College Basketball where great players don't last any more than two years, how much time is realistic. I have read it on here myself that less than 1 Final Four in 4 years is "unacceptable". Do we give BCG 4 years to get a Final Four and then boot him out? Do we give him 5 years for a National Title? Heaven forbid he wins 30 games and wins an SEC championship and goes to a Sweet 16, that isn't good enough.

 

I am willing to give the guy 3 total years to get a 27-30 win season, a Sweet 16, OR an SEC championship. That is what I am going to do.

UK fans were quick to judge Rich Brooks when he didn't have his recruits in there, why are some giving BCG a pass?

 

The outcry against Brooks was ridiculous considering the situation he inherited.

 

Just like people up in arms over Gillispie and the current situation...first of all, the guy inherited a roster in which a 20 and 10-ish season would have been a big success...that's if everyone would have stayed 100% healthy. Now, subtract your starting point guard...your best perimeter player (and possibly your best player in Meeks)...and a talented freshmen guard. Why on earth would anyone expect this team to be rolling up W's?

 

Oh wait...I forgot. They have Kentucky on their jersey...the rest of college basketball is supposed to roll over and die at the sight of that...especially the Gardner Webb's, UAB's and Houston's.

 

For goodness sake people, get over it. Get over Tubby's departure...get over the fact that he left us with a depleted roster...get over the fact that injuries have decimated that already weak roster...these things happen. Gillispie will be fine at UK. He just needs time to recruit his players, build the roster back up to a Division I level, and get everyone on board with his system. Unfortunately, that just doesn't happen overnight. (See Rich Brooks)

People want to keep talking about 3 year runs on this thread. Give me Tubby's 15 losses in 3 years, WITH HIS PLAYERS stretch that was pretty nice. ;)

 

On a different note, tell me what school BCG was at long enough to have ENTIRELY his own players? I had to throw that out for fun. The reason that he fixes problems fast is why I have not give up on him. I am a spoiled UK fan like many on here are. I am young enough that I can't remember anything but Pitino and Tubby. What is that 3 National Championships? 5 Final Fours? About 9 Elite 8's? I am just guessing here. I am spoiled to have never seen turmoil and horrible teams. Young UNC fans remember hardship and I am sure that sticking it out made them "better fans" in the long run. I am a "glass-half-full" kind of guy so I am hoping that this season makes us apprecitate the great teams UK fans HAVE had and the great hustle players like Daniels, Mills and Hayes.

Personally I just want a UK team who can compete with anyone continently (not have to win every freaking game or MARCH), a team that plays hard, that won’t, and looks like it wants to be wearing the KY blue & white, having fun doing it. Is that to much to ask?

 

Did I like Tubby? Yes, He represented UK very respectfully…..Did he let the recruiting dept fall? Yes. Not sure it was entirely his fault thou his assistants didn’t help any. Plus parity in college basketball is huge now.

How come when a coach comes in and wins everyone says it was with the previous coaches players, yet when a Coach comes in and loses early it’s that new coaches fault...? If BCG was winning no one would be talking about any of this I am sure. (Not referring to any one on BGP, just in general)

Tubby and UK both have moved on, UK fans have to let BCG get his system in place. Basketball is just like football; to win you have to have players who fit the system.

I look forward to watching what BCG can do for UK, but it is going to take a few. GO CATS! Along for the ride until I die.

Personally I just want a UK team who can compete with anyone consistently (not have to win every freaking game or MARCH), a team that plays hard, that won’t, and looks like it wants to be wearing the KY blue & white, having fun doing it. Is that to much to ask?

 

Did I like Tubby? Yes, He represented UK very respectfully…..Did he let the recruiting dept fall? Yes. Not sure it was entirely his fault thou his assistants didn’t help any. Plus parity in college basketball is huge now.

How come when a coach comes in and wins everyone says it was with the previous coaches players, yet when a Coach comes in and loses early it’s that new coaches fault...? If BCG was winning no one would be talking about any of this I am sure. (Not referring to any one on BGP, just in general)

Tubby and UK both have moved on, UK fans have to let BCG get his system in place. Basketball is just like football; to win you have to have players who fit the system.

I look forward to watching what BCG can do for UK, but it is going to take a few. GO CATS! Along for the ride until I die.

 

 

Sorry had to fix the grammar problem.

Sorry had to fix the grammar problem.

 

I thought you made up a word that meant you wanted a team that could compete across the continent.

 

Continently...:sssh::lol:

I've brought up Tubby a few times in this thread just to show how ridiculous some people are (Wireman). I do not want Tubby back and I am 100% behind BCG, but c'mon the honeymoon is over and this guy needs some criticism. Am I calling for his head? Absolutely not. According to the "Tubby Haters" things like the Legion situation weren't supposed to happen once the Tubster was gone but a few weeks into Billy's first year and already it happens. Let me guess... that one was Tubby's fault? Again, I think the break up with Tubby will eventually be best for both parties, and yes, we should give BCG sometime, but he's often given a pass just because some people hated Tubby so much.

I thought you made up a word that meant you wanted a team that could compete across the continent.

 

Continently...:sssh::lol:

 

 

Ha-ha!!! That sounds good as well.:thumb: thanks for keeping me honest.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.