December 19, 200718 yr Kentucky is now 4-5. I will admit that coming into this season I didn't see Kentucky being this bad. I figured they would have another 20-22 win season and maybe, just maybe a visit to the sweet 16. I don't see this team even going to the NCAA tournament. Patterson, Crawford, and Bradley have played well. Others, have not. Kentucky has lost 4 games in a row. They beat Texas Southern 83-35. I know they are 1-8 but they gave Houston a far better game than Kentucky. They beat Stony Brook 62-52, Stony Brook's 3-8. I know some will say give Billy G time, well how much time do you want? the man shouldn't be 4-5 right now and losing to Gardner-Webb. I just hope they pick it up before Patterson and Meeks take a ticket out of Lexington like Mr. Legion.
December 19, 200718 yr Kentucky is now 4-5. I will admit that coming into this season I didn't see Kentucky being this bad. I figured they would have another 20-22 win season and maybe, just maybe a visit to the sweet 16. I don't see this team even going to the NCAA tournament. Patterson, Crawford, and Bradley have played well. Others, have not. Kentucky has lost 4 games in a row. They beat Texas Southern 83-35. I know they are 1-8 but they gave Houston a far better game than Kentucky. They beat Stony Brook 62-52, Stony Brook's 3-8. I know some will say give Billy G time, well how much time do you want? the man shouldn't be 4-5 right now and losing to Gardner-Webb. I just hope they pick it up before Patterson and Meeks take a ticket out of Lexington like Mr. Legion. Yes they should. They are not a good basketball team. SIMPLE as that. This is not 1996.
December 19, 200718 yr Yes they should. They are not a good basketball team. SIMPLE as that. This is not 1996. Amen. While most probably expected better results, anyone can tell this is a bad team. Mix in prominent injuries to players that HAD to produce for this team to win and 4-5 makes perfect sense. Am I happy? No. Am I surprised? Not a bit.
December 19, 200718 yr I know some will say give Billy G time, well how much time do you want? Until he has a team of only his players, who have played only his system. The guy can coach, Buzzer. It's not as if he didnt have one of the best teams in the country last year. He has outcoached Bobby Knight, Rick Pitino, and others in his career. You cant judge him as a coach with the lack of talent they have right now. The team still isnt even at full strength. Tonight, we traded our 2nd best player for our first best player...do you think we could bounce back with that? Anyone with a thread of common sense is not near ready to throw in the towel. You have to give him time. I seem to remember a coach who didnt take UK to the tournament his first couple of years - and ended up doing all right. I know its frustrating - but you have to be realistic.
December 19, 200718 yr Author Yes they should. They are not a good basketball team. SIMPLE as that. This is not 1996. That's true there not, but losing to 5-7 Gardner-Webb?? on your home floor? by double-digits?? come on now..
December 19, 200718 yr Be patient. We still have 2 starters out. We are only about 4 deep with good talent, and 2 of them didn't play tonight. Its obvious that OTS didn't recruit his last few years. Every team we've played so far has just been better than we are. BCG will need a few years to help us recover from the setback that was Tubbyball.
December 19, 200718 yr I knew this would be a down year but no way did I expect things to be this bad....of course, the injuires have made a bad situation much worse. Billy G will restock the roster with talent...I just hope he gets time to turn this around...If he does, I have no doubt that he will have UK back around the top of college basketball.
December 19, 200718 yr NCAA tournament??? They are playing for the NIT! They are awful this year and wait until they play Vandy, Tennessee, and the rest of the SEC, the only thing they have going for them this year is that the SEC is down. A .500 season may be realistic.
December 19, 200718 yr A .500 season may be realistic. :scared: Stop the presses! Thank you for that insightful commentary. We were all painfully unaware.
December 19, 200718 yr When did PP get hurt? If it was during one of those stupid game day practices, then its totally uncalled for.
December 19, 200718 yr When did PP get hurt? If it was during one of those stupid game day practices, then its totally uncalled for. The commentators said he was fine during the shoot-around. Sounds like it happened away from the court.
December 19, 200718 yr You know, one thing that impressed me about Tubby's first seasons at UK was that he played a style that the players he inherited would be comfortable with. It was a more up-tempo style of "tubbyball" in other words he adapted. I think BCG should have adapted his style of play for the players he has. They were recruited to play a certain system and why not ween them into a new style over the next few years until you have all of your own players? I supported BCG's hire but now I'm questioning that.
December 19, 200718 yr You know, one thing that impressed me about Tubby's first seasons at UK was that he played a style that the players he inherited would be comfortable with. It was a more up-tempo style of "tubbyball" in other words he adapted. I think BCG should have adapted his style of play for the players he has. They were recruited to play a certain system and why not ween them into a new style over the next few years until you have all of your own players? I supported BCG's hire but now I'm questioning that. I could not disagree with you more. In fact, I disagree with this post more profoundly than any other post that I've come across in my history, not only on BGP but on any message board. Tubby knew that letting Rick's players play their game was going to put him into contention to win. With Tubbyball (and Tubby Recruiting) - we went into oblivion. I like that BCG is, from the opening gate implementing his style of coaching. Either the players like it and learn it - or they suck and can get the, you know what, out of town. In 5 years when UK is a perenial power - this will be a laughable after thought.
December 19, 200718 yr People, you all can blame Tubby all u want but this team is just as talented as last years and this team will be lucky to win half the games Tubby won last year.I know one thing,Tubby wouldn't be playing Porter 25-30mins a game like Billy does. I don't get his coaching style.They're getting pounded on the boards in the first half and Ramon Harris is in there with four guards.9 games into the season Billy couldn't hold Tubby's clipboard when it comes to in game coaching.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.