Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who played the toughest schedule?

Featured Replies

Regardless of class, I'd have to say Central played the toughest regular season schedule of anyone I can think of. St X, Manual, Male, JCentral, Highlands, Bullitt East, all nondistrict foes. Thats at least 3 teams who are Top 5 in state and then 2 more in the top 15-20 and a Top 5 4a team most of the year. Can anyone else lay claim to anything tougher? I think to accurately gauge a schedule, you have to disregard district opponents and playoff games, as you have to play your district and you have no control over who you play in the playoffs, so, for argument sake, lets keep it to non district regular season...

 

What say you?

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

District games have to factor into it. They're on the schedule, too.

 

If you want to talk non-district schedules, then Central is clearly on the radar.

  • Author
District games have to factor into it. They're on the schedule, too.

 

If you want to talk non-district schedules, then Central is clearly on the radar.

 

Yes, but you HAVE to schedule district opponents whereas you CHOOSE to play non district opponents. I guess what I'm looking for is who scheduled the toughest by choice. Thats where I have to say Central is right up there. I would give Highlands some props too as they had Trottwood, Lex Cath, Central, Ryle & Madison Central, which is pretty tough too. It seems like I'm missing somebody on them, though...

In Western Ky, probably Mayfield or Marshall. However, Reidland, Muhlenberg North & Ballard may wanted to argue since they were probably 3-30 & couldn't beat anyone. Kinda like Lone Oak's 2001 schedule 0-10 that was a very tough schedule.

CovCath would have to be in the discussion of the state's toughest non district schedule.

 

CovCath played Beechwood (1A champs), NewCath (2A runner up), Cincy LaSalle (who beat Henry Clay 55 - 36 in Lexington), Cincy Elder (beat LaSalle), Louisville St. X (6A runner up), and Columbus (OH) St. Charles.

 

In district played Highlands (5A champs), Dixie, Holmes, and Scott.

 

For a young team, a very rough schedule.

One of the toughest schedules for non-district opponents in 2007:

 

Lawrence County:

 

Regular season records only:

 

Coal Grove, OH (7-2) (Won tough Ohio Valley Conference in SE Ohio)

Belfry (10-0) (Lost in 3A Finals)

Sheldon Clark (8-2) (Lost to Belfry in 3A District Final)

Prestonsburg (7-3) (Lost to DeSales in 2A Regional Final)

Russell (9-1) (Lost to Breathitt County in 3A Regional Final)

Breathitt County (10-0) (Lost to Belfry in 3A State Semi Final)

Letcher County Central (9-1) (Lost to Highlands in 5A Regional Final)

CovCath would have to be in the discussion of the state's toughest non district schedule.

 

CovCath played Beechwood (1A champs), NewCath (2A runner up), Cincy LaSalle (who beat Henry Clay 55 - 36 in Lexington), Cincy Elder (beat LaSalle), Louisville St. X (6A runner up), and Columbus (OH) St. Charles.

 

In district played Highlands (5A champs), Dixie, Holmes, and Scott.

 

For a young team, a very rough schedule.

 

That team from Park Hills always plays a tough schedule.

That team from Park Hills always plays a tough schedule.

 

I wholeheartedly agree and I agree with colonel-fan that CovCath's schedule has to be considered one of the toughest (in my opinion, the toughest) although I don't put as much stock in the games with Beechwood and NCC. They are great programs for their size, but CovCath shouldn't ever struggle with either of those teams. And don't beat me up Tigers and Breds, its a testament to your programs that you play CovCath so well.

St X

Defeated 3 state champions, defeated Manual twice (top 5), also Ballard, PRP, and Male ( top 10). All non-district opponents made the 2nd round of playoffs.

St X

Defeated 3 state champions, defeated Manual twice (top 5), also Ballard, PRP, and Male ( top 10). All non-district opponents made the 2nd round of playoffs.

 

I would probably vote for St. X, too.

I wholeheartedly agree and I agree with colonel-fan that CovCath's schedule has to be considered one of the toughest (in my opinion, the toughest) although I don't put as much stock in the games with Beechwood and NCC. They are great programs for their size, but CovCath shouldn't ever struggle with either of those teams. And don't beat me up Tigers and Breds, its a testament to your programs that you play CovCath so well.

 

Cov Cath had the toughest schedule in northern Kentucky - hands down. Last two years, I would have given the nod to the BIRDS. This year - Blue Colonels!

 

IMO - a schedule can be too tough. Especially when a team loses consecutive games, sustains key injuries. The morale dips and motivation seems hard to get kick started in key matchups - especially playoff time. I believe that happend to Cov Cath this year and to the BIRDS the last two years!

 

I think the BIRDS had very competitive schedule this year. They played teams that gave some competition during the regular season and this competitive play prepared them well for the playoffs.

Highlands had to play one of the toughest schedules in the state, just look who they beat!!

gotta be Lone Oak's schedule

Cov Cath had the toughest schedule in northern Kentucky - hands down. Last two years, I would have given the nod to the BIRDS. This year - Blue Colonels!

 

IMO - a schedule can be too tough. Especially when a team loses consecutive games, sustains key injuries. The morale dips and motivation seems hard to get kick started in key matchups - especially playoff time. I believe that happend to Cov Cath this year and to the BIRDS the last two years!

I think the BIRDS had very competitive schedule this year. They played teams that gave some competition during the regular season and this competitive play prepared them well for the playoffs.

 

I don't think I agree with the bolded part. I didn't notice any let down motivation wise for the Birds in the playoffs in 05 and 06. I have my reasons why I believe we lost those two games (which I'll keep to myself) but I didn't see the players that I was around a lot be any less motivated when the playoffs began. To support my thought, look at CovCath's schedule last year. It likewise was brutal and they won state.

 

I do agree that overscheduling does increase the possibilities of losing players to injuries. If you are going to schedule a bunch of heavy weights, to the extent its possible definitely don't schedule them in back to back weeks (i.e. Elder and St. X back to back like we did last year).

NO DOUBT....PRP played the toughest schedule!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.