Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who played the toughest schedule?

Featured Replies

The biggest problem I have with saying X had the toughest schedule is that while they played a bunch of very tough Ky schools, X had a large, very large or really blooming large size advantage over every team that they played with the exception of T, didn't they? Unless you dispute the conventional wisdom that size matters in football, while X played some tough teams, they did have a size advantage over most if not all of them. Now if X had scheduled some Ohio schools or national powerhouses of comparable size that would have been different, but they didn't that I can recall. If they did, then I apologize. Its the same problem I have with CovCath claiming NewCath and Beechwood as part of a tough schedule. I don't care how good those schools are, they shouldn't be tough opponents for a school the size and with a program as good as CovCath's.

 

 

I'm not sure where you are going with this. A team is a good football team or they are not. Per Massey, NewCath would have been the 9th best 6A school and Beechwood the 12th best in Kentucky. Are you saying you would deem CovCath's schedule tougher had the Colonels played Ballard and PRP (schools ranked lower than NewCath and Beechwood) just because they are larger schools?

 

While the size of the school is a factor in how good the football team is, it's not the only factor. I would not dismiss NewCath and Beechwood so easily. When CovCath is beaten by GCL South teams or by Louisville X, I don't claim a moral victory and say, oh well, the other school was bigger. I congratulate the other team, get upset CovCath didn't win, and hope for a win the next time the teams meet. In the same way, it doesn't lessen the victory because the other school was smaller.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the toughest schedules for non-district opponents in 2007:

 

Lawrence County:

 

Regular season records only:

 

Coal Grove, OH (7-2) (Won tough Ohio Valley Conference in SE Ohio)

Belfry (10-0) (Lost in 3A Finals)

Sheldon Clark (8-2) (Lost to Belfry in 3A District Final)

Prestonsburg (7-3) (Lost to DeSales in 2A Regional Final)

Russell (9-1) (Lost to Breathitt County in 3A Regional Final)

Breathitt County (10-0) (Lost to Belfry in 3A State Semi Final)

Letcher County Central (9-1) (Lost to Highlands in 5A Regional Final)

 

Not a chance Lawerence Co. gets a 2nd glance in this. The football played by the teams you mentioned does not compare to the top teams in the state or in surrounding states.

  • Author
Not a chance Lawerence Co. gets a 2nd glance in this. The football played by the teams you mentioned does not compare to the top teams in the state or in surrounding states.

 

That may be so, in comparing there schedule to a few of the elite programs, but, thats still a very solid schedule with arguably the best 6 teams in that immediate area...

Not a chance Lawerence Co. gets a 2nd glance in this. The football played by the teams you mentioned does not compare to the top teams in the state or in surrounding states.

 

That is a 60-9 regular season record for its 7 non-district opponents...

 

...list your "elite" programs' regular season records vs. their non-district opponents and we'll compare...

 

...I'm sure that they are BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER teams than Lawrence County's opponents; however, I'm curious -- show me!

One of the toughest schedules for non-district opponents in 2007:

 

Lawrence County:

 

Regular season records only:

 

Coal Grove, OH (7-2) (Won tough Ohio Valley Conference in SE Ohio)

Belfry (10-0) (Lost in 3A Finals)

Sheldon Clark (8-2) (Lost to Belfry in 3A District Final)

Prestonsburg (7-3) (Lost to DeSales in 2A Regional Final)

Russell (9-1) (Lost to Breathitt County in 3A Regional Final)

Breathitt County (10-0) (Lost to Belfry in 3A State Semi Final)

Letcher County Central (9-1) (Lost to Highlands in 5A Regional Final)

At the end of the regular season, Massey ranked Lawrence County's schedule as the 17th best ... in Class 4A.

 

And ... only five spots ahead of Lone Oak's. ;)

I'm not sure where you are going with this. A team is a good football team or they are not. Per Massey, NewCath would have been the 9th best 6A school and Beechwood the 12th best in Kentucky. Are you saying you would deem CovCath's schedule tougher had the Colonels played Ballard and PRP (schools ranked lower than NewCath and Beechwood) just because they are larger schools?

 

While the size of the school is a factor in how good the football team is, it's not the only factor. I would not dismiss NewCath and Beechwood so easily. When CovCath is beaten by GCL South teams or by Louisville X, I don't claim a moral victory and say, oh well, the other school was bigger. I congratulate the other team, get upset CovCath didn't win, and hope for a win the next time the teams meet. In the same way, it doesn't lessen the victory because the other school was smaller.

 

 

You're not sure where I was going with my post? Heck it was as clear as the air in the winter time.:D

 

I'm saying that NewCath and Beechwood are very good teams, excellent teams for schools their size. If you're going to play teams their size they are the toughest. But I'm saying that as good as they are, they should not be consider tough opponents for a school CovCath's size and for a program with CovCath's tradition and talent. Don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing CovCath for having them on their schedule. I understand why they are on there (neighborhood rival and catholic school rival); plus with the other monsters on their schedule, they need a breather every now and then. But year in and year out, CovCath should beat them pretty easily. Look at it this way, as down as CovCath was this year, it still beat them both, didn't they? And Beechwood was the champ and NewCath the runner up (and could have/should have won but for some questionable calls, that are part of the game). Having not seen PRP and Ballard, I can't comment on whether CovCath's schedule would have been tougher with them on the schedule in lieu of NewCath and Beechwood.

You're not sure where I was going with my post? Heck it was as clear as the air in the winter time.:D

 

I'm saying that NewCath and Beechwood are very good teams, excellent teams for schools their size. If you're going to play teams their size they are the toughest. But I'm saying that as good as they are, they should not be consider tough opponents for a school CovCath's size and for a program with CovCath's tradition and talent. Don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing CovCath for having them on their schedule. I understand why they are on there (neighborhood rival and catholic school rival); plus with the other monsters on their schedule, they need a breather every now and then. But year in and year out, CovCath should beat them pretty easily. Look at it this way, as down as CovCath was this year, it still beat them both, didn't they? And Beechwood was the champ and NewCath the runner up (and could have/should have won but for some questionable calls, that are part of the game). Having not seen PRP and Ballard, I can't comment on whether CovCath's schedule would have been tougher with them on the schedule in lieu of NewCath and Beechwood.

 

Having seen the 4 teams in question, NewCath and Beechwood were better than PRP and Ballard. In my opinion anyway.

At the end of the regular season, Massey ranked Lawrence County's schedule as the 17th best ... in Class 4A.

 

And ... only five spots ahead of Lone Oak's. ;)

 

Massey takes Lawrence County's district schedule into account -- this decreases Lawrence County's schedule strength...(I have included only the regular season records for Lawrence County's district opponents.)

 

Boyd County 4-6

Greenup County 3-7

Rowan County 2-8

 

I say again, will somebody please provide a better non-district (teams that YOUR school gets to choose) opponents' record than Lawrence County had in 2007?

Massey takes Lawrence County's district schedule into account -- this decreases Lawrence County's schedule strength...(I have included only the regular season records for Lawrence County's district opponents.)

 

Boyd County 4-6

Greenup County 3-7

Rowan County 2-8

 

I say again, will somebody please provide a better non-district (teams that YOUR school gets to choose) opponents' record than Lawrence County had in 2007?

 

Here are CovCath's non-district opponents final overall Massey rating and final records. Other than Belfry, do you think any of Lawrence County's opponents are better than anyone on CovCath's non-district schedule?

 

 

 

 

  1. St Xavier 136 14 1
  2. La Salle 277 5 5
  3. Cin Elder 308 7 4
  4. NewCath 2028 13 2
  5. Beechwood 2726 13 2
  6. St Charles 3625 5 5

 

 

Here is Lawrence County's:

 

  1. Belfry 1878 14 1
  2. Breathitt Co 3906 13 1
  3. Russell 5296 11 2
  4. Letcher 5664 11 2
  5. Sheldon Clark 6011 9 3
  6. Prestonsburg 6655 9 4
  7. Dawson-Bryant 7636 7 2

Once again, the Massey ratings are not useful in my analogy...

 

Please provide your teams' non-district opponents' regular season record and stack it up against Lawrence County's non-district opponents' regular season record of 60-9.

 

What other team had to face teams with "this record"...not of the caliber of the "elite" teams around Louisville, Lexington, and NKY, but with the record of 60-9?

 

Let's face it -- the "great football teams" around Lexington, Louisville, and NKY will continue to pound the rest of the state for "supremacy"...I'm simply stating that there is no other team that faced non-district opponents' 60-9 regular season record!

Here are CovCath's non-district opponents final overall Massey rating and final records. Other than Belfry, do you think any of Lawrence County's opponents are better than anyone on CovCath's non-district schedule?

 

I'll place their regular season records for you...you missed NewCath

 

LaSalle 5-5

NewCath 9-1

Beechwood 8-2

Elder 7-3

St Charles 5-5

St X 10-0

 

That's a regular season non-district opponents' record of 44-16...great opponents and obviously tougher competition than Lawrence County's...

I'll place their regular season records for you...you missed NewCath

 

I did?

 

 

And I concede Lawrence County's non district opponents had impressive records.

 

But that can be very misleading and I believe a source of frustration for the rural school supporters when their 9 - 1 or 10 - 0 team can't compete with a 6 - 4 team from urban areas.

I'll place their regular season records for you...you missed NewCath

 

LaSalle 5-5

NewCath 9-1

Beechwood 8-2

Elder 7-3

St Charles 5-5

St X 10-0

 

That's a regular season non-district opponents' record of 44-16...great opponents and obviously tougher competition than Lawrence County's...

 

Here I go again...agreeing with CF!

 

Belfry MIGHT be able to COMPETE (not beat) with one of those teams. If LC's opponents would have played the above teams, they would have 6 additional losses. Lone Oak, Letcher and Lincoln (to name a few) had great records, but were hardly great teams.

Here I go again...agreeing with CF!

 

Belfry MIGHT be able to COMPETE (not beat) with one of those teams. If LC's opponents would have played the above teams, they would have 6 additional losses. Lone Oak, Letcher and Lincoln (to name a few) had great records, but were hardly great teams.

 

Actually I think Belfry would have a good chance at beating NCC and Beechwood.

Here I go again...agreeing with CF!

 

Watch out or you may be kicked out of the Highlands Booster Club.

 

:lol:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.