December 12, 200718 yr Looking at Pitino's quotes in the Courier-Journal.....I would guess so. The statement he makes about classes is interesting.:eek: Pitino said he talked with Caracter about turning pro before the season. He said his comments last night had nothing to do with the sophomore's indefinite suspension from the team Monday for violating a "contract" he had just signed by breaking curfew. "That has no bearing on it. This was discussed way before this happened," Pitino said. "His mind-set is to go pro after this year. He's going to try it. If it doesn't work out, he'll try the (NBA developmental league). He's going to focus on basketball and not worry about classes and things of that nature." Asked how quickly Caracter could rejoin the Cardinals, Pitino replied: "It could take as short as a week. It could take longer. It's up to him."
December 12, 200718 yr I think the NCAA needs to take a long look at ways of preventing things like this from happening. I'm sure it happens all the time, but IMO if a student/athlete is not attending classes then I don't think they should be eligible to play regardless of what their plans are at the end of the season.
December 12, 200718 yr Author I think the NCAA needs to take a long look at ways of preventing things like this from happening. I'm sure it happens all the time, but IMO if a student/athlete is not attending classes then I don't think they should be eligible to play regardless of what their plans are at the end of the season. I'm sure that the college administrators appreciate this attitude.
December 12, 200718 yr That is crazy!!! I know this is a business and all of that. I think we have completely lost sight that these are STUDENT athletes. When I was at uk in the early 90's there were several basketball players there who said they were students first and athletes second. I guess that is pretty naive thinking.....unfortunately so.
December 13, 200718 yr When Pitino was at UK, a player couldn't even joke about missing a class. However, I don't think he has ever dealt with a character quite like Carracter. Sounds like he has pretty much given up on him being a "normal" student athlete!!!
December 13, 200718 yr Caracter is one of those spoiled young men who thinks he is better than the institution and can do what he wants. I hope for Louisville he does not return and goes on and seeks the pro's. Now that has been said until the NCAA makes a point of anyone breaking their contract or four year scholarship and jumping to the pro's should have to pay for what it would have cost the university to put them thru four years of schooling. This is for another thread and sorry I got off track. JD
December 13, 200718 yr Looking at Pitino's quotes in the Courier-Journal.....I would guess so. The statement he makes about classes is interesting.:eek: Pitino said he talked with Caracter about turning pro before the season. He said his comments last night had nothing to do with the sophomore's indefinite suspension from the team Monday for violating a "contract" he had just signed by breaking curfew. "That has no bearing on it. This was discussed way before this happened," Pitino said. "His mind-set is to go pro after this year. He's going to try it. If it doesn't work out, he'll try the (NBA developmental league). He's going to focus on basketball and not worry about classes and things of that nature." Asked how quickly Caracter could rejoin the Cardinals, Pitino replied: "It could take as short as a week. It could take longer. It's up to him." This reminds me of the Roderick Rhodes situation. We had Mercer and Anderson coming in for the 95-96 season and Pitino urged Rhodes to try to go pro. In this situation I'm sure he is ready to get rid of Caracter, especially with Samuels and Jennings coming in to help out inside.
December 13, 200718 yr This reminds me of the Roderick Rhodes situation. We had Mercer and Anderson coming in for the 95-96 season and Pitino urged Rhodes to try to go pro. In this situation I'm sure he is ready to get rid of Caracter, especially with Samuels and Jennings coming in to help out inside. Good point and sort of what it reminds me of. Caracter is a great talent, no person is disputing that. But sometimes these kids become too much to handle and cause more harm than good for the team (Rondo, Legion, etc.).
December 13, 200718 yr Good point and sort of what it reminds me of. Caracter is a great talent, no person is disputing that. But sometimes these kids become too much to handle and cause more harm than good for the team (Rondo, Legion, etc.). I dont know if I would put Rondo in this catagory...
December 13, 200718 yr Author He's going to focus on basketball and not worry about classes and things of that nature." Do colleges not have any in-house rules in to keep student-athletes attending classes and making passing grades to stay eligible during the current season?
December 13, 200718 yr He's going to focus on basketball and not worry about classes and things of that nature." Do colleges not have any in-house rules in to keep student-athletes attending classes and making passing grades to stay eligible during the current season? I may have misunderstood Pitino, but I thought he was talking about after this year when plays professional basketball he wouldn't be worried about grades.
December 14, 200718 yr I saw today where he will be on the bench for the game aganist Purdue as long as he doesn't reak any more rules. He mau be back for the Marshall game. I want to see if Rick plays the Chichester kid (football player) on Saturday!
December 14, 200718 yr He's going to focus on basketball and not worry about classes and things of that nature." Do colleges not have any in-house rules in to keep student-athletes attending classes and making passing grades to stay eligible during the current season? It simply depends on whether or not the University has an attendance policy or not. When I was playing football at WKU, they were the only state funded school with an active attendance policy...I don't know if that's changed.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.