Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is this is the least talented Kentucky Starting 5 in history?

Is this the worst Kentucky Starting 5 in history? 85 members have voted

  1. 1. Is this the worst Kentucky Starting 5 in history?

    • Yes
      61%
      52
    • NO
      38%
      33

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I think Porter should talk to Rich Brooks about switching to football. He was recruited by USC, so he obviously has some talent.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I think Porter should talk to Rich Brooks about switching to football. He was recruited by USC, so he obviously has some talent.

 

If he can get a ball into the hands of a reciever the way he does the basketball into the hands of the defense - he could slide in and take over for Woodson no question. :D

Lets not get carried away now. Stewart is definitely worthy of a D1 school and Stevenson has shown signs of life that he deserves to be at this level as well.

 

I agree. I think Stewart will be a very good ball player over the next four years. Stevenson I think will be a good role player. I have always believed that you need a mix of the Patterson types and the Stewart types.

 

In the 90's you had kids like Walker and Mercer that left early. But you also had kids like Delk, Turner, & Shepherd that stayed. You need the 4 year kids like IMO Stewart to keep your program stable, but you need the stars like IMO Patterson to take you to the Final 4.

I agree. I think Stewart will be a very good ball player over the next four years. Stevenson I think will be a good role player. I have always believed that you need a mix of the Patterson types and the Stewart types.

 

In the 90's you had kids like Walker and Mercer that left early. But you also had kids like Delk, Turner, & Shepherd that stayed. You need the 4 year kids like IMO Stewart to keep your program stable, but you need the stars like IMO Patterson to take you to the Final 4.

 

I agree. You can't have 12 McD AA's type players. You need the mixture you alluded to.

Yes the starting five from Saturday is the worse starting five in UK history hands down. IMO.....

I've been thinking about this and I thought of some mediocre to bad teams in my UK lifetime. Here goes from memory:

 

1989 (13-19)

Only losing team and it was a fiasco with the Emery package and Sutton.

No Sean Kemp and the place was going to pieces but the starters weren't that bad:

 

G- Derrick Miller

G- Sean Sutton

C- Leron Ellis

F- Chris Mills

F- Reggie Hanson or Allan Feldhaus

 

 

1985 (18-13)

Hall's last team was replacing 4 starters and yet had a great run in the NCAA tourney to the Sweet 16.

 

G- Roger Harden

G- Ed Davender

C- Rob Lock

F- Kenny Walker

F- James Blackmon

 

1979 (19-12)

This was the year after Hall's title and all the big men were gone. Aleksinas started at Center for about 12 games and then left the team. So I remember the lineup below with Shidler or Claytor splitting time at Guard.

 

G- Kyle Macy

G- Jay Shidler or Truman Claytor

C- Freddie Cowan

F- Lavon Williams

F- Dwight Anderson (really a guard)

 

1974 (13-13)

Hall's second year. Grevey was hurt in late season and didn't play to form. The center was only 6'8" tall and after that no one was above 6'5" or so.

 

G- Ronnie Lyons

G- Mike Flynn

C- Bob Guyette

F- Kevin Grevey

F- Jimmy Dan Conner

 

 

Does anyone rank this squad with any of these? The only losing team had more talent ('89). The '74 team was weak in size but the talent came through the next year when added with Robey, Phillips and Givens to go to the Finals.

 

I don't know if any of the above teams had less talent than the current Cats.

1994, Ford, Delk, Martinizes, Dent, that crew was not that good!

That would be Deron Feldhaus Hatz

 

You're right. That was his dad. Thanks. :thumb:

1994, Ford, Delk, Martinizes, Dent, that crew was not that good!

 

I have a different memory of that team.

 

They beat three of the Final Four participants: Florida (twice), Arizona and Arkansas (1-1). Hardly a team I'd put down as bad. IF Delk hadn't been lost halfway through the season they would have gone deeper in the NCAA.

 

That's also the team that gave us the Mardi Gras miracle.

I wouldn't say the least talented but I would say the largest let down. IMO Crawford has great potential just hasn't been in a system that works with his style. Patterson and Legion are D-1 by far. The Meeks and Jasper are needed greatly but ones other than these don't need to be doing anything except playing for the Pikeville or Morehead somewhere. IMO Bradley hasn't ever showed me anything since day one that proves he deserves he should be wearing a UK jersey.

I can remember watching the Sutton pre Pitino squad play Duke in the late 80s and it was tied at the half and Duke killed us in the second half. I remember thinking they were awful. Pelphrey and the Unforgettables first year I believe. I can't remember who it was who started but they were forgettable that year.

I think Porter should talk to Rich Brooks about switching to football. He was recruited by USC, so he obviously has some talent.

 

This puts him leaps and bounds ahead of where he's at in a basketball uniform.

All of the above mentioned teams at least had someone who could shoot from the outside. Without Meeks or Legion this team has no one.

1994, Ford, Delk, Martinizes, Dent, that crew was not that good!

 

They won the SEC championship. They also won the Maui Invitational. They were upset by Marquette. The team would have been much better had Dent not went down with a season-ending injury in January I believe.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.