Catlett out at Ballard...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some great assistant coaches out there..... Would be a great opportunity for someone to develope their own system. Ballard has good athletes. I think that Catlett struggled to get that signature win, thus not being able to get the kids to believe in themselves, in general... I understand he is a nice person. Hope he goes somewhere and has success...

I would kinda be surprised to see Red move from Male. He has had success there and they do get their fair share of athletes. Male's facilities are better than Ballards?? Im not sure but, I am not aware that one can recruit students at Ballard (unless they play basketball or soccer...). All kidding aside, What would be the advantage for Red to move to Ballard???? Somebody help me here....

^ he coached there before....and he wouldn't feel like he is competing for kids with Manual, X, and Trinity, though he would, IMO. Also, it is something else to do. He really has accomplished all the glory that he is going to get at Male...if he could build Ballard up to a champion the state would be in awe.

All kidding aside, What would be the advantage for Red to move to Ballard???? Somebody help me here....
My two cents, if it's worth that:

With the rise of Manual, Male has two big rivals (St. Xavier being the other, of course) to worry about on the west side of 6A.

If he's at Ballard, it's primarily Trinity he has to worry about ... there are the Lexington schools, too, but Redman at Ballard can match those guys, too.

....don't be surprised to see Redman back with the Bruins....

Coach Redman will not get the same or even a similar "deal" to what he has at Male at a school like Ballard. He teaches 2 periods of PE during the first semester, works on football, the field, and then is off the remainder of the year. I can't see Ballard wanting that, or dealing with the perception that it would create.

Times have changed DRAMATICALLY in public education since he took the Male job and was at Ballard for that matter. If Redmond does return, the softball coach/president of Ballard has more pull than I gave him credit for.

Ballard let go a GREAT man, teacher, and football coach in Mark Catlett. People questioned his success and W/L record, but he did things right and his teams were competitive. I wish the Bruins the best with their search.

What a sad state of affairs when a coach can be replaced with no reason given except that "we want to make a change." They won't find a better man, who did it the right way and didn't cut corners, than Catlett...Can't say W/L record as his worse record was this yar at 6-6...so never a losing season...IMO he didn't beat the privates and it cost him his job...shame on the Ballard Administration...shame for using the football coach when in reality the plan is to turn the Ballard practice field into a soccer complex...Catlett was in the way.

Coach Redman will not get the same or even a similar "deal" to what he has at Male at a school like Ballard. He teaches 2 periods of PE during the first semester, works on football, the field, and then is off the remainder of the year. I can't see Ballard wanting that, or dealing with the perception that it would create.

Times have changed DRAMATICALLY in public education since he took the Male job and was at Ballard for that matter. If Redmond does return, the softball coach/president of Ballard has more pull than I gave him credit for.

Ballard let go a GREAT man, teacher, and football coach in Mark Catlett. People questioned his success and W/L record, but he did things right and his teams were competitive. I wish the Bruins the best with their search.

Trust me, Ballard will make it work!

I would kinda be surprised to see Red move from Male. He has had success there and they do get their fair share of athletes. Male's facilities are better than Ballards?? Im not sure but, I am not aware that one can recruit students at Ballard (unless they play basketball or soccer...). All kidding aside, What would be the advantage for Red to move to Ballard???? Somebody help me here....

River....shockingly enough Redman will be able to get more kids to "come to" Ballard than he would be able to at Male. At Male, he has to take from a certain poll and it's pretty small! Look at all the kids the basketball team gets there.

A couple of things to keep in mind here regarding this situation...

As someone mentioned, times have changed...Male doesnt get the athletes they once did because of the rule changes as to how a student/athlete can get into Male. Male can no longer get students unless they come directly from the 8th out of a feeder traditional middle school program. That has been one of the reasons why Male's talent level has dropped (and believe me it has) over the course of the last few years. While they still get some athletes, they can no longer get that large crop that they were once used to when a Freshman class could bring in 10-12 players that could just flat out play. I think the Freshman class that included Doug Beaumont was the last time that was allowed to come in from non-traditional middle schools. When that change was made, many of those kids who wanted to go from a non-traditional middle school to Male started spreading out throughout the county to other high schools, including St. X and Trinity.

As for Higgins, despite being a Redman protege, people have to remember that he has a great deal at Fern Creek. He is not bound by the enrollment rules that Male is. Fern Creek will and is getting a lot of talent coming into their hallways throughout the county. Fern Creek could very well be the next pulic school powerhouse in Jefferson County. The QB will be a JR next season and they will continue to have a lot of talent come into the building that play for the local Hikes Point/Fern Creek optimist leagues. And remember that Redman and Higgins are very close friends. One would have to believe that if Redman decided to leave, Higgins knows there is a reason that Male has dropped off in talent level and Im sure Redman would be supportive of that move, but he would probably be sure to mention that "things arent like what they used to be".

Another thing to consider is that Redman is only 1-2 wins away from reaching 300. I wouldnt be surprised if Redman finishes another year at Male, gets 300, and then calls it a career.