Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Five 0-10 Teams Qualify for Playoffs

Featured Replies

Stat of the day ...

 

5 -- That's how many 0-10 football teams have qualified for the playoffs under Kentucky's new alignment plan. They are Clinton County, Fort Knox, West Jessamine, Iroquois, Butler.

 

Incidentally, six 1-9 teams (Todd County Central, Owen County, Newport, Morgan County, Western Hills, Lawrence County) will play in the postseason.

 

Hear that Kentucky? It's Ohio laughing at your backward playoff system.

 

posted by Ryan Ernst at 3:40 PM 0 comments links to this post

 

 

The above came from Ryan Ernst blog.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many crappy basketball teams qualify for the playoffs in KY or OH?

I laugh at their system because results of California High School games effect playoff positioning in Ohio.

As I said in another thread, if KY is going to take the number of teams they're taking (roughly 85%) they need to go ahead and let the remaining teams make it.

As I said in another thread, if KY is going to take the number of teams they're taking (roughly 85%) they need to go ahead and let the remaining teams make it.

 

I agree. I don't like this format either, but if you are going to have that many, might as well let everyone play.

It is what it is unless you just take the top 2 teams because of the number of schools. Shorten the season by a week and let the top two play. That makes it a district championship game, then a regional championship, sectional champion, then state championship! Every game is good. It doesn't help a 10-0 team to match up on a 0-10. The outcome will be what it is and the potential for someone being injured after playing in frustration increases.

 

Remember it's all about the BUCKS for KHSAA and the schools with all of these games.:rolleyes::irked:

I laugh at their system because results of California High School games effect playoff positioning in Ohio.

 

I completely agree. Ohio uses a mathematical system to determine playoff spots and their “districts” contain teams in different Divisions. For example a team (Waterford) in Ohio’s smallest division (VI) went 9-1 this year and did not make the playoffs, their only loss came during the first game of the season to a team in West Virginia. While I think Kentucky’s new system has some issues, I believe Ohio’s system is broke.

Now! Now! Isn't this really all about everyone getting a participation ribbon. Our feel good society has taken us down this path. I said this before, but I should have gotten into the trophy, ribbon and T-Shirt business about 15 years ago. Just think , a trophy declaring "Your 2007 0-10 Football Playoff Team"! Beautiful!

 

I agree with the rest, let them all in. If Holmes was in the playoffs this year and say had to play Scott, I'm thinking they would make it to the next round. And didn't Holmes win 4 or 5 games and were competitive in others. But they are at home watching the likes of West Jessamine play a State Playoff Game. Now that's fair!

How many crappy basketball teams qualify for the playoffs in KY or OH?

 

I’ve read several references to basketball while discussing the new football playoff system and IMO it is like comparing apples to oranges. In basketball the district, regional, and state tournaments can each be played over the course of a weekend for a total of three weeks or less, in football a four team district requires two weeks alone just to complete district play and then three additional weeks through state, so even without 100% of the teams competing in the football tournament it still takes almost twice the time. Contributing factors for this is that football is just that much more physically intensive and it takes more the 24 hrs to recover, not to mention that a football game is much more resource intensive then a basketball game. IMO the bottom line is that football and basketball are two completely different sports and thus should be treated that way. At what other level, except maybe grade school, do football teams with zero, one, or even two wins make the playoffs?

Florida's three-way tie breaker is unbelievable:

 

All three teams travel to the same place.

 

Team #2 plays team #3 in ONE QUARTER of football.:confused: If the game is tied after that, the regular overtime rules prevail until a winner is declared.

 

Then the team that won plays team #1 in a similar format.

 

Florida's version of the KHSAA (tie-breaker rule is on page 17 & 18)

http://www.fhsaa.org/fb/manual/0708_fb_manual.pdf

I completely agree. Ohio uses a mathematical system to determine playoff spots and their “districts” contain teams in different Divisions. For example a team (Waterford) in Ohio’s smallest division (VI) went 9-1 this year and did not make the playoffs, their only loss came during the first game of the season to a team in West Virginia. While I think Kentucky’s new system has some issues, I believe Ohio’s system is broke.

 

I agree that KY's new system has serious issues, but Ohio's system isn't broke but rewards teams for playing and winning against tougher competition.

 

Waterford's 9 wins came against teams that did not finish above .500 and none of them made the playoffs. 3 teams had 2 wins and 3 teams had 1 win.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.jsp?year=2007&teamID=1628

 

You mentioned their only loss was to a WV team which probably made the WV playoffs with their points that Waterford gave them.

 

I am from Lawrence County and they are in the playoffs. Should they be there? No not with this record. I remember a few years ago LC finished the regular season at 7-3 and missed the playoffs.

 

The only solution is let the KHSAA revisit this issue next year and work on it to make it better. Kentucky High School football has made strides in recent years and to me this is a step back.

Like with most other KHSAA sanctioned sports, everyone should make it...

I agree that KY's new system has serious issues, but Ohio's system isn't broke but rewards teams for playing and winning against tougher competition.

 

Waterford's 9 wins came against teams that did not finish above .500 and none of them made the playoffs. 3 teams had 2 wins and 3 teams had 1 win.

http://www.joeeitel.com/hsfoot/teams.jsp?year=2007&teamID=1628

 

You mentioned their only loss was to a WV team which probably made the WV playoffs with their points that Waterford gave them.

 

I am from Lawrence County and they are in the playoffs. Should they be there? No not with this record. I remember a few years ago LC finished the regular season at 7-3 and missed the playoffs.

 

The only solution is let the KHSAA revisit this issue next year and work on it to make it better. Kentucky High School football has made strides in recent years and to me this is a step back.

 

I’m originally from Marietta, Ohio which is right up the road from Waterford and you are right that their strength of schedule had everything to do with them not making the playoffs, but they can only play the teams on their schedule. Since they are in the smallest division they can’t play any teams in lower divisions and several of the teams that they played were winning teams when they were placed on the schedule. Maybe saying the Ohio playoff system is broke is a bit too extreme, but I certainly believe that it is worse then Kentucky’s system. At least in Kentucky a 9-1 team will always make the post season. Another positive aspect of Kentucky’s system is that teams are in districts with other teams of equal size, where in Ohio, league (district) play is far less meaningful since teams in the same league might be in different regions and/or divisions. Don’t get me wrong though, I do not like the first two rounds of Kentucky’s new playoff system, but I do feel it is better then Ohio’s in many respects.

I have no issue. All of Indiana makes it to the playoffs.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.