Should Lewis be fired if the Bengals miss the playoffs?

jbwill2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just the whole coaching staff is to conservative for me. I mean its a wonder why we never have both offense and defense playing good at the same time. When the defense is playing bad, we let the offense open up and we do great. But when the defense is doing good, we dont seem to attack much on offense, and never get in any rhythm. This seems to happen all the time, we just never get a complete game from both sides of the ball. The coaches talk about how the players need to learn how to finish games, and that is true, but Marvin and the coaches IMO need to develop a killer mindset of their own...

The current Bengal defense

End: J Smith 1st round pick

End: R Geathers 4th round pick

DT: J Thornton 2nd round pick

DT: D Petko 4th round pick

LB: A Brooks 3rd round

LB: L Johnson 3rd round

LB: Caleb Miller 3rd round

LB: (Pollack/Thurman 1st/2nd round not currently playing).

CB: D Oneil 1st round pick

CB: J Joseph 1st round pick

CB: L hall 1st round pick

CB: K Ratliff 2nd round pick

FS: M Williams 2nd round pick

SS: D Jackson 4th round pick

This is a team who has invested a lot of picks into D or brought former high draft picks in. I don't get how we are this bad. 3 first round picks to CB (Hall is a rook) and Ratliff a 2nd round.

Nobody on our D was selected after the 4th round but Jeanty who plays sparingly. I don't get how our D is that bad. Pollack hurts... Thurman REALLY hurts. We do not who a defensive enforcer (Thurman) and our corners are somewhat young. (Safetys have no excuse).

This is a team who has invested a lot of picks into D or brought former high draft picks in. I don't get how we are this bad. 3 first round picks to CB (Hall is a rook) and Ratliff a 2nd round.

Nobody on our D was selected after the 4th round but Jeanty who plays sparingly. I don't get how our D is that bad. Pollack hurts... Thurman REALLY hurts. We do not who a defensive enforcer (Thurman) and our corners are somewhat young. (Safetys have no excuse).

All those picks and still the Bengals flat out stink at defense. Fire Chuck NOW!

I think Tom Coughlin is out in New York if he doesn't get it done this year. I don't see how it could be any different for Marvin Lewis.

I think the expectations are a bit different. NY fans expect to win, no questions asked, all the time. Bengals fans were so used to losing that 8-8 was great for a few seasons but now we want more. I think barring a total collapse he will be back. Don't forget that 2 of his prized draft picks from '05 are not playing, that's huge.

I think the expectations are a bit different. NY fans expect to win, no questions asked, all the time. Bengals fans were so used to losing that 8-8 was great for a few seasons but now we want more. I think barring a total collapse he will be back. Don't forget that 2 of his prized draft picks from '05 are not playing, that's huge.

Make that 3. Chris Henry is sitting on the bench right now. That year could have been one of the greatests drafts ever. However its turned into one of the biggest flops for a draft ever.

Well there would be no reason to even get rid of Breshnahan then if Lewis was to just take over the defense. Make no sense to get fire him, bring in a new defensive coordinator even though they wouldn't be calling the plays....

Why not? Look at Tampa Bay and Philly. Both Gruden and Reid are the head coaches and offensive coordinators of their teams. They have another coach, O-line and assistant head coach, listed as O-coordinator too, but they at least have other responsibilities. Why keep Breshnahan, when he really isn't going to do anything? If you want to label someone as defensive coordinator, give Hayes, Hunley, or Coyle the title while keeping their current position.

I think Tom Coughlin is out in New York if he doesn't get it done this year. I don't see how it could be any different for Marvin Lewis.

Yeah, the players have really turned on him in the last couple of years. I think he is gone, unless he makes a big turn around and wins a playoff game.

Pretty simple.... look at the guys that are up front. They can't get to the QB and aren't very good vs the run. That spells a horrible defense in the NFL.

I am not sure if Marvin will get fired if he does not make the playoffs, but if the Bengals do not get to at least 9 wins (playoff appearance or not), I think the hot seat turns up. You can only be "just a year away" for so long. Big time QB, high profile receivers, better results should be occuring. The defense is like melted butter though.