St Xavier/Male Predictions

H

Who wins the 90th edition of the St X/Male rivalry?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 90th edition of the St X/Male rivalry?

• Saint Xavier
    • Male High

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off...Hello everyone. Glad to be apart of the BGP community. 'Biotech' let me know about this board and it is certainly entertaining.

Secondly, I question how many folks here are actually making educated predictions on this game. Why? Because people are assuming that X is the X teams of old and MALE is a traditional MALE team...but that is NOT the case.

X has almost no passing game, Glaser said so himself. I expect X to shove the ball at MALE as they always do. Deuce will be the main weapon for the Tigers and maybe some short passing, but not much downfield. MALE has an exceptional defense this year with really good corners as well as the best run D I have seen BRedmon put together in a while. MALE absolutely stuffs the middle so Deuce will have to run some sweeps to get any big plays.

That being said, MALE has no deep passing threat at all this year. Anything past 10 yards will either be intercepted or incomplete by many yards. However, MALE's running game is far and away the best option MALE has in winning FB games. Justin Green is getting visably better every game, Dejuan Hobbs is back and the line is blocking very, very well. I expect this to be a real smash mouth FB game the likes we have never seen between these two schools.

Who's defense will win out? Who's running game will be best? I don't know, but I will say this...it's possible that Deuce is held to less than 100 yards.

7-10 point game either way is my guess.

First of all, welcome TKE!!

Second of all, I agree that it is not the same teams that played last year.

I believe that X has a tight end that can catch the ball.

I believe that Zoeller has overcome the opening night first half to put very impressive 7-8 second half against Ballard, 4-7 against Oldham County and probably 7-10( estimated) against Lex Cath. He had a 25 yard pass called back when the back up wide receiver lined up in an illegal formation. When a running back puts 323 yards up, why pass more? There are other options but no need to show them yet. Please remember that Deuce and Knotts went out with 6 minutes left and yes, X scored a touchdown to win against Ballard. Some passing, some running. So when Male puts 6 guys on Deuce, the offensive line and other threats can put up some points.

But how many points will the offense need? With the defense giving up 13 against Henry Clay(scrimmage), 14 against Ballard, 9 against Lexington Catholic with 6 coming at the end of the game against 2 and 3rd stringers with the score 41-3, the defense is getting better with more people getting healthier. I think that Aaron Boyd, Dontey Gay and Ryan Phillippi from Henry Clay, Perkins and Pryor from Ballard, and Vogelsang and Williams and Guy from Lexington Catholic are pretty good football players. X still was missing 3 linebackers in Showalter, Heuser, and Devine. 2 will be back on Friday, Still without these guys, X still held Lex Cath to 28 yards on 23 carries without Shane Israel.

Birdie,

He said it during the post game of the Lex Cath game. Said 'we'd pass it, but we have nobody to catch it.'

LOL, Glaser loves to play possum from time to time. I will say they have some speedy running backs that could help could our receiving corps of Simmons, Brinkman and Brown, ie Wilkerson and Montano.

Jimmyref,

You're right...I think this may be a very low scoring affair. I expect X to do some short passes especially 10 yards deep in the middle praying for a LB to miss an assignment. MALE's closer speed in the flats will negate any of those passes.

Park,

Again...Glaser has never been known to air it out, they haven't showed it this year either, why should we expect a change Friday?

7-10 points either way.....

TKE, even X does do the same things that they've done in the past 6 meetings between the two teams, they'll have a 66% chance of winning, based on the past results (4 wins out of 6). X has never passed much before, but it hasn't stopped them from winning. This team has more speed overall than most of X's teams in the past. Both teams lost their big star from last year in Vic and Doug. I think that Duece has done a great job replacing Vic's production but I don't think anyone has or will step up to replace Doug's as well. In my mind, that gives X the edge.

Another point I think a lot of people may overlook is that this game is being played in mid September rather than the usual late October. With all the guys playing two ways for Male and their lack of traditional conditioning, I think there are going to be a lot of tired dogs in the second half. It will only be worse if they do line up and try to play smashmouth football against a team that's been doing it for 90 years.

Jimmyref,

You're right...I think this may be a very low scoring affair. I expect X to do some short passes especially 10 yards deep in the middle praying for a LB to miss an assignment. MALE's closer speed in the flats will negate any of those passes.

Park,

Again...Glaser has never been known to air it out, they haven't showed it this year either, why should we expect a change Friday?

7-10 points either way.....

I wouldn't expect a change...I was laughing at Glaser's comment about not passing the ball because he doesn't have the receivers to catch it. Everyone knows Glaser just doesn't like to pass the ball, has nothing to do with not having enough kids who can catch it!

TKE, even X does do the same things that they've done in the past 6 meetings between the two teams, they'll have a 66% chance of winning, based on the past results (4 wins out of 6).

It will only be worse if they do line up and try to play smashmouth football against a team that's been doing it for 90 years.

I don't see how that is even remotely applicable to this game though...these kids have not been playing smashmouth FB for 90 years and guessing results on past win records seems a tad far fetched for me too.

This years game is gonna be fun...a big change from what we are acustomed to seeing.

Birdie,

He said it during the post game of the Lex Cath game. Said 'we'd pass it, but we have nobody to catch it.'

From what I have seen thus far this year I would take Coach at his word. The passing game has been erratic, with a large number of poorly thrown or dropped passes. Certainly, teams can win without a passing attack. Perhaps the best high school team in the past 20 years in this part of the country, 2004 Colerain, ran the ball almost exclusively. But this X team is no Colerain . To beat Male, Manual and Trinity (X's next three opponents) X is going to have to develop more consistency passing. TKE_, you can be sure that work is proceeding apace by the Tiger's eXcellent coaching staff to rectify this deficiency.

Males defense is stronger than a year ago. Although their QB is unproven in big games against the top tier of teams. Coach Redman typically downplays the first match up with St X each year.

The St X people I talk to say that Finch is more focused and in better shape than his lackluster game against Ballard. The St X defense is always tough and getting better as front line players are getting healthy.

I give the edge to the St X defense over the Male QB and say St X 28 Male 24.