July 4, 200719 yr I just have a hard time believing, DeMoss is that type of person, who lacks character. Besides, if she was doing something "shady", I can't see her getting such a high profile assistant position. My opinion and solely mine....Either a combination of lack of support, from the A.D. and his staff, she wanted additional increase in salary/contract and possible handling of the Tubby Smith situation, from within. She may have wanted to increase the budget, play in Rupp or increased salaries for her assistants....all just speculation. I'm going to give her the benefit of doubt, as to the reason. With the timing of her leaving, BCG just being hired, I always figured it was over money also.
July 4, 200719 yr and possible handling of the Tubby Smith situation :confused: :confused: :confused: And did this even need to be brought up?
July 4, 200719 yr Author "My time off was substantial. It was unprecedented in my personal history. These months allowed me to reassess what I wanted to do. I learned what my personal comfort zone and preferences would be in any work environment." So does she just feel more comfortable being an assistant?
July 4, 200719 yr :confused: :confused: :confused: And did this even need to be brought up? Just my opinion and yes, or I wouldn't have mentioned it. You are womens D1 Head Coach of a program, that just mandated to the mens D1 Head Coach, either he release some of his staff or be fired, combined with rabid "fans" screaming for his head on a platter and it doesn't make you concerned....:confused: I'm presuming, the thoughts of no one is safe at UK, crossed her mind. ....So does she just feel more comfortable being an assistant?This may very well be the most accurate scenario.
July 4, 200719 yr It might not be a lower position...So what you are saying is that you think a head coach of Women's basketball in a SEC school in a basketball crazy state like Kentucky, is a lower job than an assistant at a Big twelve school in a Football crazy state?
July 4, 200719 yr So what you are saying is that you think a head coach of Women's basketball in a SEC school in a basketball crazy state like Kentucky, is a lower job than an assistant at a Big twelve school in a Football crazy state? Basketball crazy state doesn't mean "crazy about women's basketball." She'll never surpass the men's program and won't even come close, truthfully. Her greatest success would still leave her struggling to compete with the Tennessees, LSUs, Auburns, etc. in the SEC. Plus, her head will roll if the program struggles. Now...go to Texas, a top-notch women's program in a less than stellar conference. Recruit the third largest populated state in the country. Be the assistant coach and let the head coach handle the pressure (keep in mind, people in Kentucky were upset with Hanson, Hobbs, Rigot, but wanted Tubby's head to roll). Have tons of success for ten years or so and then head to the house. UK head coach is a great job for a young or younger coach. For a coach like DeMoss who probably doesn't have many years remaining in the coaching field, why wear yourself out in a job that will never be at a level as high as the men or half of the women in the conference?
July 4, 200719 yr that just mandated to the mens D1 Head Coach, either he release some of his staff or be fired Thats nothing but speculation, and the pressure put on the coach of the winningest program in men's basketball history versus a bottom of the pack SEC women's team is far from a good comparison. That she would have any fear of being held to the same expectations as the men's coach (by the fans or the administration) is a far stretch. She had spent a LOT of time as an assistant, and I think thats where she was more comfortable. I believe she was the HC at Florida at one point, but left to be an assistant somewhere else.
July 4, 200719 yr She had spent a LOT of time as an assistant, and I think thats where she was more comfortable. I believe she was the HC at Florida at one point, but left to be an assistant somewhere else. I think this is the situation. Seems to be anyway. She may never be a head coach again, unless something happens she were to be at UT. I think the reason people assume something shady is b/c of the situation at LSU with Chatman.
July 4, 200719 yr Maybe she simply does not feel comfortable as a head coach. She may be more suited as an assistant, and knows it.
July 4, 200719 yr Thats nothing but speculation, and the pressure put on the coach of the winningest program in men's basketball history versus a bottom of the pack SEC women's team is far from a good comparison. That she would have any fear of being held to the same expectations as the men's coach (by the fans or the administration) is a far stretch. She had spent a LOT of time as an assistant, and I think thats where she was more comfortable. I believe she was the HC at Florida at one point, but left to be an assistant somewhere else. Isn't that the very words I used, in Post #13 of my last paragraph.
July 4, 200719 yr Isn't that the very words I used, in Post #13 of my last paragraph. There's a difference in speculating it as the cause, and speculating that it happened at all. You're speculating based on a speculation. Oh my. I've just gone cross-eyed.
July 5, 200719 yr There's a difference in speculating it as the cause, and speculating that it happened at all. You're speculating based on a speculation. Oh my. I've just gone cross-eyed. Boy, now I'm really speculating.....:lol:
July 5, 200719 yr This is just a speculation, but I feel we're over speculating about the speculation of all this.
July 5, 200719 yr I think that maybe all the crazy figures being thrown around for the new men's coach when Donovan was looking at it may of had something to do with her leaving. I know the position won't ever pay near as well as the men's job, but maybe she was looking at more cash and a contract restructuring for what she had managed to do here and got cold shouldered or told the money was not there for her, when it had been talked about for a month. Just my speculation, nothing more....
July 5, 200719 yr Speculate till the cows come home...the bottom line is UK lost a top notch coach that brought the program back from the dead!!! Anyone that expected the program to reach the same level as the men's program is crazy, but it was developing into one of the good middle tier women's programs in the SEC. Coach Mitchell has to be feeling more pressure than Coach DeMoss ever did, because he has to continue to improve the program from the point it is at now. Whereas, Coach DeMoss could have only won 8 games that first season and still be seen as a saviour. The question now becomes can UK still pull the in state recruits from Louisville? I think the Lady Cards now have the upper hand.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.