July 5, 200719 yr This is just a speculation, but I feel we're over speculating about the speculation of all this. :thumb: :lol: :lol: :lol:
July 5, 200719 yr Wow. Makes one wonder what was going on behind the scenes. Looks like she did not need too much time off. I think there had to definately be something going on in the closet. Just seems to odd to leave an SEC head coaching position to take a Big 12 assistant position. At her age, that has to be considered a demotion.
July 5, 200719 yr Just seems to odd to leave an SEC head coaching position to take a Big 12 assistant position. At her age, that has to be considered a demotion. She did not leave the UK job to take the Texas assistant's position. She resigned then a few months later decided to get back in coaching. I know we all know that but there is a difference.
July 5, 200719 yr UK just moved her team into a 32 million dollar practice facility is putting down a brand new floor in the coliseum and your speculating she wasn't getting the support she needed. I don't think so, and I agree that comparing her and Tubby's situation is the difference in night and day.
July 5, 200719 yr "My time off was substantial. It was unprecedented in my personal history. These months allowed me to reassess what I wanted to do. I learned what my personal comfort zone and preferences would be in any work environment." So does she just feel more comfortable being an assistant? IMHO, that is exactly it. Some folks just aren't as comfortable being on the hot seat every night as the big cheese but like to be in an important but less stressful support role. Maybe she was out of her comfort zone. I have seen it in business and the same applies to coaches. Wasn't she Pat's assistant for 15 years before taking a head coaching role? Seems like she may have been reluctant to make the leap and then did so at a school that didn't expect too much from the women's basketball program.
July 5, 200719 yr Wasn't she Pat's assistant for 15 years before taking a head coaching role? Seems like she may have been reluctant to make the leap and then did so at a school that didn't expect too much from the women's basketball program. :thumb: You could be right on with this MT. I also tend to think that it may had been a salary issue with her and Barnhart. I had said the same for her as I have Cohen in baseball, we need to keep them at ALL cost if possible. Mr. Barnhart, get the checkbook out . Also she may be taking an assitants job just to get back into it while "waiting" on P. Summit to retire - maybe, I don't know. Anyway, all I do know is that I appreciate what all she has done for the U.K. ladies b.b. program and I wish her well in whatever she does. :ylsuper: thanks Mickie!!:thumb: I hope the progress of ther Lady Cats can continue with the new coach but I have my doubts.
July 5, 200719 yr I agree with MT, I think some people are just more comfortable being an assistant than being HC. Do the job you love without the pressure. However, if she left because of disagreements with administration (support, facilities, money, etc) I commend her for not blasting them to the media as some would do. Tubby showed the same type of class.
July 6, 200719 yr :thumb: You could be right on with this MT. I also tend to think that it may had been a salary issue with her and Barnhart. I had said the same for her as I have Cohen in baseball, we need to keep them at ALL cost if possible. Mr. Barnhart, get the checkbook out . Also she may be taking an assitants job just to get back into it while "waiting" on P. Summit to retire - maybe, I don't know. Anyway, all I do know is that I appreciate what all she has done for the U.K. ladies b.b. program and I wish her well in whatever she does. :ylsuper: thanks Mickie!!:thumb: I hope the progress of ther Lady Cats can continue with the new coach but I have my doubts. From what I understand Matt Mitchell is an outstanding young coach. He helped land some very good classes before going to Morehead. Of course having Demosses name to recruit with certainly helped. He was able to hold onto the 9th ranked class coming in , and hopefully with some on court success his name will mean something on the recruiting trail. I wish him the best, because he certainly is a fine young man.
July 6, 200719 yr Author Would it have been so bad to stay on at UK as an assistant? It would probably be an unprecedented move, but stepped on a lot fewer toes.
July 7, 200719 yr BCG=2,300,000 in his first year and he is largely still unproven. MD=350,000 and is a proven winner at UK Do the the math..................that's why she got ticked and walked. She will make close to that at Texas w/base and camp $. She listened to Suze Orman and realized she was not "on sale". Go Mickie! Best of luck to you! YOU WILL BE MISSED!
July 7, 200719 yr BCG=2,300,000 in his first year and he is largely still unproven. MD=350,000 and is a proven winner at UK Do the the math..................that's why she got ticked and walked. She will make close to that at Texas w/base and camp $. She listened to Suze Orman and realized she was not "on sale". Go Mickie! Best of luck to you! YOU WILL BE MISSED! Pat Summit = 32 year tenure, best women's coach in the country with 6 national titles at one of the top women's programs in the country. Gets paid right around $1,000,000 a year. You do the math. Women's basketball doesn't pay near what the men's game does, and everyone knows that. DeMoss is far too intelligent to expect anything near the compensation of the men's coach. Money was not the issue.
July 14, 200719 yr STRIKE I can agree with your opinion. I obviously do not know but having a problem with the AD at U.K. is not a stretch of the imagination by any means. I would not doubt that part or all of your speculation may just be true. JMO I have a hard time believing that she was having trouble with the A.D. He gave up his office in memorial colliseum so she would have equal footing with the men's coaches. He also really made a publicity push for the women's program. He also paid her very well for an SEC women's coach. We need to get off barnhardt's back.
July 17, 200719 yr If any of you have read Pat Summitt's book, you will find that Coach Demoss is an excellent recruiter and was Pat's "YANG". She enjoys recruiting and focusing on that aspect of the game. After leaving UF as the head coach, Coach Demoss was Pat's top priority to come to UT. Now it seems the new Coach at Texas felt the same way. Mickie Demoss has shown the ability to being a GREAT Head Coach, I think that she would rather spend the time doing what she does best, recruiting and not worrying about what people think about her in the media. She is top shelf for sure and Texas will be a better program with her as a part of it. I don't believe she will go back to being a head coach again, she proved her worth as a top notched recruiter even at a program like UK. She now will enjoy recruiting for another storied program like Texas and will continue doing what she loves best. BEST OF LUCK COACH AND THANKS FOR THE SUCCESS YOU BROUGHT TO OUR STATE!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.