Ken Griffey JR

Which is why the Reds will not make noise in a long, long time. Therefore, if we're gonna lose, I'd at least like to see my favorite player play on a regular basis. I do feel bad that Griffey has to play for such a bad overall organization, though.

You missed the implications of getting rid of Griffey's salary. THAT is why you do it now. The prospects are a long-term potential bonus.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb: I agree completely, he is currently the longest tenured player on the team. With his age and contract I don't think the Reds would get enough to offset upsetting their fans. .

Which is why the Reds will not make noise in a long, long time. Therefore, if we're gonna lose, I'd at least like to see my favorite player play on a regular basis. I do feel bad that Griffey has to play for such a bad overall organization, though.

Am I the only one that doesn't care what we get in return?

:thumb: I agree completely, he is currently the longest tenured player on the team. With his age and contract I don't think the Reds would get enough to offset upsetting their fans. Jr was my favorite player before he came to my favorite team. Had he not had the injury issues the last several years he very well may have been racing Bonds to Ruth right now. I love Jr and the Reds and no one they could get would be enough to turn this team around.....so lets keep Jr. and let him finish up in the Queen city and hit his last homerun into the Ohio maybe #675.

So then aren't you basically saying that - because other teams wouldn't want to give us much due to his age and contract - the REDS are themselves overpaying for Griffey?

Yes, had he not had the injury issues over the past 6 years you are probably right. But the bottom line is that he DID have the injury issues and forced the Reds to greatly overpay for a part-time player. The trade for Jr. just never worked out for the Reds.

So the time is now to thank Jr. for his efforts and let him move on and maybe even finish his career on a Series contender. The Reds need the money to invest in younger players and pitching . Spending $12.5M on an oft-injured, nearing-the-end-of-his-career player would be sentimental, but since we don't have the Yankees budget we have to make some hard decisions or this team will continue to stagnate year after year. Griffey is no longer someone you can build a team around.

Am I the only one that doesn't care what we get in return?

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't care at all what we get. Yes, freeing up his salary is the more critical issue, but I'd also like to think we could get something more than a ham salad sandwich for him.

Trading Dunn would make more sense to me. He makes $10-11 Million now and has a $13 club option for next season. He has more upside because he's 10 years younger and should bring better talent because of that.

Just curious on how many Reds over the past 20 years have consistently hit around 40 HR's and drove in 100 RBI's. Do you feel the Reds have had a lot of these players?

Just curious on how many Reds over the past 20 years have consistently hit around 40 HR's and drove in 100 RBI's. Do you feel the Reds have had a lot of these players?

No, just saying that its a possible $10 Million off if the Reds go in that direction.

Bench hit 389 with 1376 RBI

Robinson 324 with 1009 RBI

Perez 287 with 1192 RBI

Kluszewski 251 with 886 RBI

Foster 244 with 861 RBI

Dunn 209 with 492 RBI

How stunning of a stat is that on Dunn's RBI total, I guess those other guys knew how to drive in runs ASIDE from the long ball.

No, usually the players who hit 40 HRs are driving in 125-130 runs a year.

Bench hit 389 with 1376 RBI

Robinson 324 with 1009 RBI

Perez 287 with 1192 RBI

Kluszewski 251 with 886 RBI

Foster 244 with 861 RBI

Dunn 209 with 492 RBI

How stunning of a stat is that on Dunn's RBI total, I guess those other guys knew how to drive in runs ASIDE from the long ball.

Well, there is that, or, and I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe they were playing with slightly better players and weren't given a pass/fail grade at age 27.

Jim, while an extra 25 rbi a year would be really nice, I don't think an extra run every 6 or 7 games is a good reason to ship him out.

Oh well, I hope the Reds trade him, I hope everyone is happy locally, and I look forward to the day when everyone begins to wonder locally (ah, about 3 years or so) why they every traded him.

Well, there is that, or, and I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe they were playing with slightly better players and weren't given a pass/fail grade at age 27.

Jim, while an extra 25 rbi a year would be really nice, I don't think an extra run every 6 or 7 games is a good reason to ship him out.

Oh well, I hope the Reds trade him, I hope everyone is happy locally, and I look forward to the day when everyone begins to wonder locally (ah, about 3 years or so) why they every traded him.

I don't necessarily think he needs to go. I just wish he'd produce in bigger situations than just with nobody on base.

I don't necessarily think he needs to go. I just wish he'd produce in bigger situations than just with nobody on base.

Sure. However, is it his fault that no one was on in the 5th? No. Is it his fault that Conine looked like a moron when trying to bunt in the 9th? No.

I just feel like the average / casual fan has made him the lightning rod for everything wrong with this team...and that is hilarious. If you asked me who the single biggest disappointment was on this team this year he'd be WAY down the list....a list, by the way, that would begin with Harang.

I just feel like the average / casual fan has made him the lightning rod for everything wrong with this team...and that is hilarious. If you asked me who the single biggest disappointment was on this team this year he'd be WAY down the list....a list, by the way, that would begin with Harang.

Truer words have not been spoken. People have milked the whole "he's always hurt" line for all it's worth and it's very old. Griffey has been a very consistent and solid player for the Redlegs this year. He is the least of problems.

Truer words have not been spoken. People have milked the whole "he's always hurt" line for all it's worth and it's very old. Griffey has been a very consistent and solid player for the Redlegs this year. He is the least of problems.

:thumb: