Ken Griffey JR

Well, there is that, or, and I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe they were playing with slightly better players and weren't given a pass/fail grade at age 27.

Jim, while an extra 25 rbi a year would be really nice, I don't think an extra run every 6 or 7 games is a good reason to ship him out.

Oh well, I hope the Reds trade him, I hope everyone is happy locally, and I look forward to the day when everyone begins to wonder locally (ah, about 3 years or so) why they every traded him.

I'm not giving him a pass/fail, I just wish he would take steps to improve his game. Maybe he will, as you said, he is still young and maybe he will get better. The Reds don't have a lot of big bats in the lineup if you take him out. I don't know if they could find anyone, anytime soon to replace those 40 home runs, but maybe they could replace him with someone who is a solid hitter and does the little things when needed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truer words have not been spoken. People have milked the whole "he's always hurt" line for all it's worth and it's very old. Griffey has been a very consistent and solid player for the Redlegs this year. He is the least of problems.

Are you 2 talking about the same player?

Well, there is that, or, and I'm just spit-balling here, but maybe they were playing with slightly better players and weren't given a pass/fail grade at age 27.

Jim, while an extra 25 rbi a year would be really nice, I don't think an extra run every 6 or 7 games is a good reason to ship him out.

Oh well, I hope the Reds trade him, I hope everyone is happy locally, and I look forward to the day when everyone begins to wonder locally (ah, about 3 years or so) why they every traded him.

As GT likes to say "write it down" come the year 2020, BGP posts will be comparing Krivisky to Leatherpants and the O'Neill trade to the Dunn trade (if one happens).

Bench hit 389 with 1376 RBI

Robinson 324 with 1009 RBI

Perez 287 with 1192 RBI

Kluszewski 251 with 886 RBI

Foster 244 with 861 RBI

Dunn 209 with 492 RBI

How stunning of a stat is that on Dunn's RBI total, I guess those other guys knew how to drive in runs ASIDE from the long ball.

If you willl reread my post it said LAST 20 YEARS. Which of those players accumulated those stats in the LAST 20 YEARS?

I have no clue to the answer but where does Dunn stand in HR's and RBI's for the REDS in the LAST 20 YEARS. I would guess he is AT WORST top 3 and be real surprised if he is not #1 in HR's.

Name one person on the Reds team or in the Reds system that you can expect 40 HR's and 100 RBI's over the next 3-5 years.

Yeah, he has his warts and needs to improve his game but appreciate what he does provide. Things that arguably no other Red in the ML's to A ball can do.

If you willl reread my post it said LAST 20 YEARS. Which of those players accumulated those stats in the LAST 20 YEARS?

I have no clue to the answer but where does Dunn stand in HR's and RBI's for the REDS in the LAST 20 YEARS. I would guess he is AT WORST top 3 and be real surprised if he is not #1 in HR's.

Yes, I know, I wasn't posting it so much as a direct response to what you said, I just found the stats fascinating. At least the RBI total. Dunn likely wouldn't be appreciated til after he left and the Reds were forced to bunt guys to second and use small ball to get 4 runs a night.

I agree with you that you can't take his numbers out of the lineup and not end up hurting a little bit. I just think he needs to work on his overall game.

Yes, I know, I wasn't posting it so much as a direct response to what you said, I just found the stats fascinating. At least the RBI total. Dunn likely wouldn't be appreciated til after he left and the Reds were forced to bunt guys to second and use small ball to get 4 runs a night.

I agree with you that you can't take his numbers out of the lineup and not end up hurting a little bit. I just think he needs to work on his overall game.

I am assuming you want a full overhaul of the lineup or you are crazy if you expect this lroster to be bunting guys over and producing 4 runs by putting the ball into play and bunting.:p

Name one person on the Reds team or in the Reds system that you can expect 40 HR's and 100 RBI's over the next 3-5 years.

Yeah, he has his warts and needs to improve his game but appreciate what he does provide. Things that arguably no other Red in the ML's to A ball can do.

I'm not so certain that speaks as much to Dunn's virtues as it does to how bereft of talent the Red's farm system is.

Anyone remember Dave Kingman? A LOT of similarities to Dunn and Kingman never led any of his teams to the Series.

I am assuming you want a full overhaul of the lineup or you are crazy if you expect this lroster to be bunting guys over and producing 4 runs by putting the ball into play and bunting.:p

I know we have all had the full overhaul discussion and I think the Reds have some pieces, I just think that current plan isn't working. I think everyone would agree, the Reds need to find a TRUE leadoff man and if they end up paying Dunn a lot of money, they might not have much left to go out and get anyone else.

Yes, I know this current roster isn't aware of how to do the little things to score runs. lol

I know we have all had the full overhaul discussion and I think the Reds have some pieces, I just think that current plan isn't working. I think everyone would agree, the Reds need to find a TRUE leadoff man and if they end up paying Dunn a lot of money, they might not have much left to go out and get anyone else.

Yes, I know this current roster isn't aware of how to do the little things to score runs. lol

To me, true leadoff man is not in the top ten of Reds most pressing needs.

To me, true leadoff man is not in the top ten of Reds most pressing needs.

You are saying the Reds should fix their starting rotation, bullpen and maybe a need for a better third baseman. You mean pitching is more important???? :lol:

I do agree if that's what your thinking, would be nice for the Reds to have a set starting rotation and a reliable bullpen.

You are saying the Reds should fix their starting rotation, bullpen and maybe a need for a better third baseman. You mean pitching is more important???? :lol:

I do agree if that's what your thinking, would be nice for the Reds to have a set starting rotation and a reliable bullpen.

Checkout the new thread entitled.....Reds top 10 needs

Anyone remember Dave Kingman? A LOT of similarities to Dunn and Kingman never led any of his teams to the Series.

A. Actually, there are virtually no similarities between the two. Dunn gets on base a TON more than Kingman ever did. TON.

B. Junior never led any of his teams to the Series...he is a HOF'er, right?

C. How many World Series has Ichiro been to? He plays the right way...right?

D. What about Ernie Banks...he was okay, right?

A. Actually, there are virtually no similarities between the two. Dunn gets on base a TON more than Kingman ever did. TON.

B. Junior never led any of his teams to the Series...he is a HOF'er, right?

C. How many World Series has Ichiro been to? He plays the right way...right?

D. What about Ernie Banks...he was okay, right?

Bet you are tired of answering the Kingman/Dunn posts?